Hendie's 1971 VW T2 Bay Window Devon Conversion conversion

hendie

So much for me to catch up on here. I love the spare wheel cover, I like the traditional approach of using waste materials in model making. Cool to watch the rubber mats being made, thought you were going to print those too and I did not expect the curve ball. 

I'll confess I was in two minds about all the 3D printed content to begin with but I can absolutely see the benefit now. The delicacy and accuracy of the parts you've produced is on another level. I'm sure designing and setting it all up is an art in itself, it doesn't just fall out of the machine like that. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I give this post five out of five bananas. 🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌.

I’m willing to go along with that in the hope that it means the work shown in that post was amazeballs.  Anyways, I think that’s what Johnny is saying and it’s defo what I am.  if you see what I mean.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

One goes away for a few days (still am, BTW) and there's been major assembly and paint!

I need a rest! :rofl:

Most excellent job, Alan! :worthy:  :worthy:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 31/12/2022 at 22:10, Fritag said:

I’m willing to go along with that in the hope that it means the work shown in that post was amazeballs.  Anyways, I think that’s what Johnny is saying and it’s defo what I am.  if you see what I mean.

That is EXACTLY what I’m saying. That warm yellow is my favourite colour on things, as you guys know.  This build is simply stunning and stunning in my favourite colour is a 2023 bonus. 

So yes.  “Amazeballs” 🟡🟡

Johnny. 

• Haha 4

+Wow in tangeriney extravision©

Oh so very lovely Alan, a wonderful New Year's present for us all*

*Can ye tell I've been off hogmanaying over the weekend and out of inter-reach?

The bus/van is becoming an even greater thing of beauty sir, cheers.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 2:36 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

In glorious Hendiecolour! Looking great. As are all the small bits in the update. Reet grand. As they say in Bournemouth.

thanks Pete. More small bits on their way

On 12/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, JeroenS said:

That's great! I've built a few of these busses and the two-tone scheme is a pain to mask! You did well. I love the air scoop and I'm a fan of your fans, just like you 🙂 

thanks Jeroen.  Which Kits did you build? Is there a WIP?

On 12/30/2022 at 5:56 PM, The Spadgent said:

Wowa!!!!! My favorite colour. 💛

She was looking fantastic to begin with now she’s looking even better.  I give this post five out of five bananas. 🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌. @giemme you can stop drooling now. 

👏👏👏🙌 

Johnny. 

ps. I know you’re going to say it’s orange but I like an orangy yellow best. 🤝

Ya can't beat 5 bananas can you?  I always thought of it as orange but the more I look at it, the more yellow it appears.  Let's go with the orangey yellow shall we to avoid any fisticuffs? 

On 12/31/2022 at 3:44 AM, klubman01 said:

Your "colouring in" looks very good. 

Trevor

and I even managed to stay with the lines (for the most part)

On 12/31/2022 at 5:47 AM, su27rules said:

Silicone rubber mats....fantastic!!!!!!!!😍

Awesome details and beautiful work.

thanks su27rules

On 12/31/2022 at 9:29 AM, RichieW said:

Lovely in its orange/white paintwork. I do think Brandy was onto something with the printed squished flies idea though. ;)

Richie

you do know that what goes around comes around don't you?  AAaand you're working on which build at the moment....

On 12/31/2022 at 11:16 AM, Anteater said:

So much for me to catch up on here. I love the spare wheel cover, I like the traditional approach of using waste materials in model making. Cool to watch the rubber mats being made, thought you were going to print those too and I did not expect the curve ball. 

I'll confess I was in two minds about all the 3D printed content to begin with but I can absolutely see the benefit now. The delicacy and accuracy of the parts you've produced is on another level. I'm sure designing and setting it all up is an art in itself, it doesn't just fall out of the machine like that. 

The printer just blows me away every time.  I don't think there's anyone here who has made the leap and regretted it afterwards.

On 12/31/2022 at 1:55 PM, Brandy said:

A real "Tangerine Dream" coming on here. Paint looks grea!

Are you going to put a backing inside the front grille or do the kit parts cover that?

Ian

I'll be painting the inside of the dash black to provide some depth

On 12/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, Fritag said:

sort of, maybe

12 hours ago, giemme said:

One goes away for a few days (still am, BTW) and there's been major assembly and paint!

I need a rest! :rofl:

Most excellent job, Alan! :worthy:  :worthy:

Ciao 

thanks Giorgio.  More assembly happening this post

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That is EXACTLY what I’m saying. That warm yellow is my favourite colour on things, as you guys know.  This build is simply stunning and stunning in my favourite colour is a 2023 bonus. 

So yes.  “Amazeballs” 🟡🟡

Johnny. 

amazeballs?  I'm shocked to find that's even in the dictionary.  

3 hours ago, perdu said:

+Wow in tangeriney extravision©

Oh so very lovely Alan, a wonderful New Year's present for us all*

*Can ye tell I've been off hogmanaying over the weekend and out of inter-reach?

The bus/van is becoming an even greater thing of beauty sir, cheers.

ta Bill, it's really starting to take shape as the greeblies n bits get added

3 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Just catching up after a few days away, absolutely fantastic work, Alan! Very nice to see it gaining its colour coats

James

thanks James.   If only it could have kept it's coat on.

Bouyed with the success of the orangey yellow banana paint job I was ready to keep moving along and that meant clear coating.  I had a choice of 3 glosses:  SMS Clear, Testors clear, and Mr. Color clear.   I've become a big fan of the SMS paint range so decided to go with their clear offering.  Being a rather nervous type though when it comes to paint I thought I'd start with the doors, just in case something went awry.  It did.

Within a few seconds the SMS clear (it's a lacquer) start reacting with the paint.  Damn.   Just as well I started with a door or it could have been a lot worse.

PC310002.jpg

Luckily the reaction was fast sio I didn't get too much on the door so it should be recoverable without a full strip back to plastic.

The Testors clear is an Acrylic and while it's fine as a lay down coat for decals I have never been able to get a high gloss finish with it.  I had the Mr Color (Aqueous) clear and have had success with that in the past so it was up next.

Well, I guess we're going with the Testors clear coat then.     Here we are rubbed back and primed (again), and the engine bay door soaking in IPA.  Things were going so well too.  Overall though I'm not too upset as it could have been a LOT worse.

P1010006.jpg

I really should have painted a few test pieces to use with the clear coats but of course I dismissed the idea as unnecessary. Next time.  Ho hum.

Anyways, after I had settled down a bit I mixed up some Testors clear and lashed it on the bus.  Starting with a few misting coats and finally building up to wet coats and it was left to dry/cure overnight.  I completely omitted to take any photos but I'm pretty sure the bus was shinier before I gloss coated it.

Nevermind, it was time to start some of that assembly stuff and I'll worry about the non-shiny shiny later.

First up was a nice simple task - door seals.  While up at the front the seals are fitted to the doors, at the back end VW decided to fit them to the bodywork, which for me, was much easier.  A few minutes work saw both the rear hatch and the engine bay get their respective seals using my magic wire stuff and some cyano.

P1020007.jpg

Decal time!   On my 1:1 I had a 240V plug at the back end and there was a little warning danger of death sticker by the plug.  I didn't have an exact copy but I had some spare decals left over from Pegasus and there was a nice little electrical hazard sticker that worked just fine.  The 240 plug is just dry fitted to give me a location for the electrical warning.

P1020008.jpg

Now some real assembly work... these were a right pain in the proverbial - the door latch plates. Or is it the striker plate? and the latch plate is on the door?  Does anyone really care?   Anyway, the job would have been a lot easier  if I'd tried test fitting one of them before I painted the bus.  At 1mm wide they were just too wide for the pillar and I had to resort to the Tamiya 1mm chisel to cut a small rebate into the pillar to provide enough room for them to fit.

P1020009.jpg

Then more edge trim.  Inside the pop top there was a black edging all around the opening. This may look a bit dodgy but believe me, the 1:1 edging wasn't particularly neat so I'm quite happy with this result.

P1020010.jpg

Next up were the windscreen washer nozzles.  The kit parts were molded in and were less than optimum. Saying they were bland was being kind. Printign them seemed a much better option though fitting them was a nightmare.  If I had any sense I would have left a longer stalk on the back side but for some reason I chose to use a 0.7mm diameter pin of only 1mm length - which meant that by the time I removed them from the supports I had less than 1mm of pin left to play with. Since these are tetrahedron shaped and less than 1mm wide you can imagine the fun I had tried to manipulate them into place and get them stuck enough so they'll never fall out again.  Yes, I even included the small jet/nozzle thing on the side facing the windscreen.

P1020011.jpg

What with this assembly thing moving along at a rate of knots I had to start thinking about mating the chassis to the body so it was time to glue in the floors.  My home made decal wooden floor in the main cabin and some painted styrene over the engine bay at the back end.  Now I have to be careful while handling this so I don't go and damage the decal.

P1020015.jpg

Seat bases got glued in as did the front seat belt clippy things which are a bit camera shy. It's the thing with the bit of red on it between the seats.

P1020017.jpg

Then I could have another dry fit to see where things stood.  It's beginning to look a lot like Xma... a T2 Bay window now.

P1020018.jpg

The main reason for the dry fit at this point was to allow me to start refining the aluminum treadplate facing which supported the rock n roll bed - which I did - and forgot to take any shots of it.  You be comforted knowing that it's been primed and resting under a nice coat of polished aluminum looking forward to tomorrow. 

I'm still not sure whether I can fix the grey/black vinyl panels in place yet - If the chassis has to come out again it will be a horrible job to try and get it back in without damaging those panels so they're just resting in there with a bit of tape until I can decide when the time is right.

Taking a bit of a detour I attacked the one good front door I had available. It needed a door handle.  As is always the case I made life difficult for myself by trying to incorporate the little black plastic gaskets that sit between the door and the chromework.  On the handles I had printed a tiny 0.2mm rim around the base which was them colored in with black paint.

I think I got away with it and if I'm honest I think it looks the better for it, even if you can hardly see it.

P1020019.jpg

andn yes, I remembered to include the small operating trigger inside the handle

P1020021.jpg

It appears that today was the day for seals and weatherstripping. The back end had been taken care of, the doors were done a week or so ago and I had added the edging to the pop top opening.  Now I just had to address the edging that fitted around the pop top itself.  This was just a narrow vinyl edging strip that was used to make the cut edge of the fiberglass look neater as it rested on the white roof.   Of course those devils down in Devon decided to use a black seal on white fiberglass.  Why couldn't they just have chosen a white seal ?

This provided a nice little challenge as that particular edging strip was a lot narrower than any of the door seals so my wonderful cyano loving wire was out. A search of my stash provided only one potential solution - some fishing line.

3... 2... 1... GO!

P1020022.jpg

I wouldn't way it was an easy job but it was a job that just had to be done or it would never have looked right.  Once again I think I got away with it.

P1020023.jpg

It's not perfect by any means but from anything approaching normal viewing distance it looks fine.

P1020024.jpg

Then I remembered that the top of the pop top also had a weather seal - this time the gods were with me and the good wire was within spec for that seal.

P1020026.jpg

Not only is it starting to look like a proper T2, it's also starting to look very much like a Devon Conversion T2.

P1020027.jpg

I rather like that last photo there. As much as a pain that those door latches were I think it really adds something to the overall look - another one of those 'things that might not be noticed but wouldn't look right were it not there sort of thing'

This last day has been a real mojo builder.  It seems I've just been working on parts here and parts there for ages without anything really coming together.  Now it's finally starting to look like something.  Obviously, there's still a long way to go yet but I think I've crossed the worst of the bridges.  Now, back to painting orangey yellow doors again...

• Like 23

9 minutes ago, Anteater said:

Looking great! What kind of glue are you using the stick the weather strips and seals in place on the painted surfaces? 

Just bog standard cheapo cyano.  I've been very lucky in that the rubber(?) coating on the wire I'm using loves cyano glue. Usually my wire stock hates superglue. I wish I could remember where I got this stuff

• Like 3

That's coming together! The seals add a lot to it, no doubt. 

You asked me about my builds, I did 4 T1's, only 2 had the two-tone scheme though. I dug out the WIP's for your convenience, although I don't think they're of much value to your current project 🙂 

This Samba was actually my first build upon restarting the hobby. I was struggling with paint, I think I repainted a couple of times!

Then there's a Camper with a two-tone (it went better then the first although that front panel gave me some trouble again), a Panel Van and a Blitz Build Pickup

• Like 2

It is really looking kinda ginchy wonderful now Alan but really?

A lacquer varnish over an acrylic paint is asking for trouble and I am sorry your request for same was complied with.

Any colour coat that smells that HOT should be suspect but 'nuff of that, have you tried a mist coat of Tamiya TS-79 Semi-Gloss spray?

I find that it gives a lovely glossy look without going all wet-look but it is a durable  fix for fragile surfaces, which is why I use it for home-brewing decal sheets if a matt finish isn't needed.

(I use TS-80 for matt finishes, models or decal sheets)

The door handle triggers?

Absolutely something else. 😲

• Like 2

There's some jaw-dropping details in that update, Alan! Door handles with triggers! Washer jets with the actual jets! What's coming in the next update, a working Hula-girl air freshener or a nodding dog? :shocked:

James

• Haha 8

Brilliant, all those tiny little details are incredible and totally worth adding. I liken tiny details like that to salt and pepper in a meal, you might not taste them but you'd definitely would notice if they weren't there because your dinner would be bl**dy awful!

The fishing line weather seal looks perfect to me in the photo, I'd be thrilled if I could work with that much precision. 

19 hours ago, hendie said:

you do know that what goes around comes around don't you?  AAaand you're working on which build at the moment....

Eerrrr, it already has! I went into to the mancave today for the first time since Xmas day and immediately found my lost instrument panel. Mrs W said 'You told me to remind you it was in your box of rigging materials'

The joys of getting old! 😂

Cheers

Richie

• Haha 3

You know how the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy had 'Don't Panic'on the front.

If I had a printer, I'd mass produce a red box with 'A safe Place' embossed on the front, especially for modellers.

This time next year, Rodney.....

• Haha 7

Ok so.  Even tho’ I’ve no real interest in the 1:1 subject I wouldn’t want to miss a hendie build of anything; and this is a proper demonstration of exceptional multimedia modelling.  Although having just typed that I’ve a strong feeling of deja-vu and hazy memories of having typed similar comments on previous Alan threads. Hey ho.  It’s hard to be original in the face of such relentless skill….

On 1/3/2023 at 7:58 AM, perdu said:

The door handle triggers?

Absolutely something else. 😲

Ain’t they just.  Tis such marvellous minutiae that exemplify the quality of the build.  (marvellous minutiae- I quite like that; you might see that phrase re-used elsewhere…. ;))

On 1/2/2023 at 10:40 PM, hendie said:

If I had any sense I would have left a longer stalk on the back side but for some reason I chose to use a 0.7mm diameter pin of only 1mm length - which meant that by the time I removed them from the supports I had less than 1mm of pin left to play with.

Been there, done that.  Hawk aerials flopping from the vertical cos of too-small stalks.  Re-draw, re-print, re-paint.  If I only I had any sense…:blush:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5

Just had a bit of a catch up after my time away up north.

So where do I start. Spare wheel covers, silicone mats, chromy bits, colour no less and even door seals, plus all the other bits.

Amazing stuff Alan in your usual no nonsense strive for excellence!

Fantastic, a proper new year treat!

Terry

• Like 3

If the devil is in the details then this VW has the Exorcist’s Regan hidden in every little nook and crannie!   😈

Stunning, just stunning. Absolutely knocking this one out of the park Alan. 💪👏👏👏

Johnny

• Like 2

Please don't think me rude as I have been ignoring your thread as campers really aren't my thing.  Then I noticed how many comments you had gotten so I thought I'd take a quick look, however its ended up being a lot more than a quick look.  Exceptional, very original and innovative modelling.   Sorry still don't like Campers, but I totally admire work and looking forward to you next update - Andy 

• Like 2