Hendie's 1971 VW T2 Bay Window Devon Conversion conversion

hendie

With the 504 lining up for finals it gets to that point where a job gets done and you need to wait around for things to cure/dry/wilt/fall off and get stuck on again before you can proceed to the next job so in between rounds with the 504 I have been tinkering on and off with this my latest project.   This is another project I've been hankering to do for many years but there was never a kit available, or even a suitable base kit to begin bashing around. However, in the last year or so Revell came to the rescue with the release of their series of VW T2 Bay Window vans. They released 2 vans in the series, a standard VW T2 Bay Window and a T2 Camper (a Vanagon I believe).

Back in the old country my wife and I always enjoyed a lot of camping and after a few years of humping tents around we bought an old Dodge Commer (Post Office?) Camper and had a few trips around the country. Mainly interrupted and frustrating trips as the engine kept overheating.  My wife's dream though was to have a VW Camper and after the Commer succumbed to rustitis we searched around for a VW. There were many around but almost just as many had not been looked after and were in poor shape.  I did eventually come across one though and it was local so we went to take a look.

We had found a bit of a treasure.  It was a 1971 camper, a Devon Conversion. It had 35K miles on the clock (this was 1997/8) and was owned by a little old lady who'd decided it was time to hang up her camping gear.  Now 35K miles on a nearly 30 year old vehicle?   Would you believe that she had kept overy single MOT slip, every single tax disc, and every single garage bill?  If it needed a windscreen wiper, she took it to the dealers to have the wiper replaced.  Incredible. Those were original miles on the original engine. Some years she only travelled 300 miles, other years she would head over to France.  Sure the van was showing some signs of age - so was I, but overall it was a very nice example and so it became the Hendiebus.

If you're wondering why I have Conversion conversion in the title, it wasn't a typo, or many typo's.  The VW was a Devon Conversion so while Revell released a VW T2 Camper, it was the wrong type of camper. Why was I surprised?  The Devon Conversion had a concertina type pop top so it made more sense to start with the standard Bay Window offering and kit bash my own Devon conversion conversion.  Make sense?

After years of people clammering and shouting for  a VW T2, Revell finally stood up and produced one.  That's where the good news ends. (isn't it strange how you read "So and so should produce a kit of xxxxxx, it'll sell loads" and if by chance someone does produce such a kit, you very rarely see any builds of it online?)

Anyways, the kit.

It's kinda orange.

A loud orange plastic.

A very loud orange plastic. That's going to take some primer to cover up.

P7240003.jpg

It's also from their "easy-click system"  i.e. it's a snap together kit aimed at (I guess) a younger audience.  That means it's clunky, with lots of pins and receivers and the detail can be soft, and in some cases just plain missing. It's also very toy-like.

But it's a T2 so what the heck, we all gotta start somewhere don't we.

From those humble beginnings I am going to try and produce this little example

Graduation-022.jpg

It will come as no surprise to learn that this is very unlikely to be a quick build.  In addition to the pop-top I need to make another few modifications.

Let me see now. The Revell kit is a European/US left hand drive and it appears to be a slightly later variant. Therefore, off the top of my head here's a few things that are incorrect for a 1971 T2 and are going to need changed...

• Indicator style/indicator position
  • tail light cluster wrong style
  • front grill
  • front bumper
  • rear bumper
  • seats
  • LHD needs to be RHD
  • Kit has 2.0L engine, mine had the classic 1600cc flat four.
  • sliding door on wrong side

Many of those incorrect features are so far off, there's no point in trying to rescue them so I shall end up either scratching or 3D printing the 1971 replacement.

Starting with the engine, as mentioned above the kit has a 2.0L variety and mine had the standard flat four 1600.  There are plenty references for that particular engine and it's easy enough to CADalize one, but how close to scale is Revells offering?  I thought an easy option would be to ebuy one and use that as a starting point.  I found an incomplete example on the bay though as it turns out it wa a bit more incomplete than I thought, but no matter, I have what I need.

Kit engine bay and a 1/24 Beetle engine.

P9020011.jpg

It sorta fits in the available space but there are going to be some changes needed.

P9020010.jpg

Based on the 1/24 Beetle engine I have started knocking up my own version. At the moment I am just roughing things out and some dimensions are going to need tweaked once I figure out exaclty how this is all going to go together.

Screenshot-2022-09-03-100701.jpg

While the engine is in development I can make a start on the interior. Now when I say make a start, I actually mean begin destruction. There's going to be a lot of that. A lot of destruction before there can be any construction.

The back end of the interior shell is okay but the front end is wrong. The kit provides a drivers seat and a double seat and old SXA 285K had a walk-through.

Action!... Cut!

P9030001.jpg

Walkthrough cut out complete, just need to floor that and panel the sides and we can call that job complete. Only 999,999,999 jobs to do now.

P9030002.jpg

Why stop there? Let's just cut another few holes while we're at it.

P9030006.jpg

Since I have to change the sliding door from one side to the other, I had to remove the internal trim panels (all wrong anyway) from the new door location on the internal tub.  That allowed me to recycle the plastic into new infill panels for the floor.

P9030005.jpg

Next job will be to remove the huge "track" for the sliding door.  I'm not sure if the new version will be sliding or just fixed in place.  There's lots of things I'm not sure about in this build.

P9030007.jpg

... other than that there is sure going to be a lot of rework on the bodyshell to turn it back to 1971.   It seems '71 was a year of change on the VW factory. As far as I can gather they were in the middle of updating the Bus but didn't want to throw out all the parts that were being replaced, so they just used them up til they were gone then started fitting the new stock.  As an example, '71 was the first year they started fitting front disc brakes - some '71's have drums, some have discs.  You will also find some 71's with the small oval tail lights and some with the rectangular style - which I am starting to remove here.

P9030008.jpg

The air scoops at the back end also changed. The kit (obviously) has the rectangular style scoop while mine had the curvy crescent moon type (scroll up to the shot of my van above and you'll see what I mean). Yet another modification to do.

I really debated with myself about leaving these "as is", but in the end I knew that it would annoy me even if I stuff this whole job up so I have to at least try to replicate the earlier crescent moon style cooling intake.

P9030009.jpg

In my eyes the earlier Bay Window had more elegant lines than the later more boxy look of the early 70's - the crescent scoop, oval tail lights, wraparound front bumper, low front indicators etc. and had the advantage of being upgraded (if you can call it that) with disc brakes and I'm sure there must have been some other upgrade but I can't think of one just now.

Instead I'll just leave you with this parting shot of SXA on one of our little excursions, Hoddam Castle if I'm not mistaken. 

Camping-Hoddam-Castle-003.jpg

• Like 31

Great project, I'm in. The original is rather lovely looking. Too bad Revell went for the Easyclick with this one but if you're going to hack at it anyway it really doesn't matter does it. 

• Like 2

An early arrival on page one no less. Must be a record for me!

Lovely subject. We had a slightly smaller Campervan in the form of the undersized, underpowered, unimpressive, Fiat Amigo! Happy memories of squished up campervanning!

Very impressed with what you intend to do here Alan and will come along for the ride. Being 4th or 5th joiner, I think the Van is full now surely, so off we go!

Terry

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Being 4th or 5th joiner, I think the Van is full now surely

Now, if this was a Ugandan M'tatu (spelling questionable!) you would always say "There's always room for one more on a M'tatu"!

Cheers, 

Alan.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:55 PM, Hamden said:

Great project I will follow along and watch the magic happen!

Stay safe           Roger

magic in the style of Tommy Cooper but without the laughs Roget

On 9/4/2022 at 1:55 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I'll watch with intent (Camping, eh? No? Oh well)

This looks like a challenge worthy of your talent.

in tent huh?  I think your jaiket's on a shoogly nail Pete

On 9/4/2022 at 2:38 PM, Six97s said:

I shall follow with interest.   Nice to see SXA is still on the road too (I'm a nerd,I checked).

I did check a year or two back just to see.  I can't remember what website I ended up on but it had some MOT report and it appeared there was quite a bit of rust.  I hope the current owner isn't letting it go. It was a great van

13 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Great project, I'm in. The original is rather lovely looking. Too bad Revell went for the Easyclick with this one but if you're going to hack at it anyway it really doesn't matter does it. 

The VW T1's & T2's are definitely iconic vehicles, and for me the early T2 is the best looking and the most charismatic

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Watching...... :popcorn:  :beer: 

Ciao

there's paint G. Stop drooling.

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

An early arrival on page one no less. Must be a record for me!

Lovely subject. We had a slightly smaller Campervan in the form of the undersized, underpowered, unimpressive, Fiat Amigo! Happy memories of squished up campervanning!

Very impressed with what you intend to do here Alan and will come along for the ride. Being 4th or 5th joiner, I think the Van is full now surely, so off we go!

Terry

Ach I'm sure there's room for a few more Terry.  Squished up campervanning - so true.  I have another couple of shots I'll try to remember and post sometime in this thread.  Having the freedom to just drive around and stop whenever/wherever you fancy was liberating. Perhaps not as liberating as tents, but then you didn't have to hump anything around, it was all in the van.

7 hours ago, Alan R said:

Now, if this was a Ugandan M'tatu (spelling questionable!) you would always say "There's always room for one more on a M'tatu"!

Cheers, 

Alan.

or a PLB in Hong Kong... room for one more, plus the ducks and the pig

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

This looks like fun. Definitely my kind of modelling. Beer and peanuts at the ready.

Ian

Fire up the trangia Ian, we're gonna be here for a while

33 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Bodywork made entirely of Irn-Bru.

Another thread of charm and drama begins - good luck with this Alan!

Hopefully nowhere near as much drama as that 504 Tony. Drama is over-rated and I've had enough of it to last a while.

I had a bit of a shock today.  There I was morale seeping slowly away as the weekend drew to a close and I was trying rather (unsuccessfullyI might add) to muster as much enthusiasm as I could for work. 

It turns out that it's Labor Day here in the US and today was a public holiday :penguin: Hooray!   Nice thoughtful folks those Americans.

It's always nice to start the day off with a bit of destruction, in this case, yet more panels of the interior tub.  The Revell kit just has plain flat panels and the 1:1's have a series of lines debossed into the surface so rather than trying to do anything with the kit parts I thought it would be a much simpler task just to remove them and create my own.

P9050001.jpg

In the shot above you can see that I have completed with walkthrough between the two front seats. A generous radius was added to the front and side edges though I kept the sharp edges at the rear (for now).

In one of my little upgrades to SXA I had recovered some of the interior panels at the back end with a vinyl cloth which is shown here.  The originals were black and starting to look a bit tatty.  I must have taken this shot when I was fitting the rock and roll bed.

I used the Bluebird Rock n Roll bed, and by the time I had bought that, bought the foam for the seats/mattress, bought covering material, and then paid someone to sew it all up for me, it turned into probably the most expensive bed I've ever owned.  At least it was comfy.

VW-Refurb-012.jpg

Back to the kit though - In an attempt to add some texture to the flat Revell panels I stuck on some ciggy wrapper and added some Meng rivets for the fasteners.  It seemed like a good idea at the time but after I had done it I wasn't so sure.  I might have to search around and see what other materials I can repurpose.  More on that later.

P9050002.jpg

Since I had the day off and had the work laptop at home I thought it would be worth a shot trying to replicate the interior panels more accurately.  In an all too rare moment of foresight, some twenty odd years ago I thought it worthwhile to take a shot of this panel from SXA.  Today it came in very handy. 

Lines. Quite a few of them.  They are quite subtle and I wasn't at all sure if I would be able to replicate this in a small scale but it was worth a shot. Those lines were something I noticed as missing immediately when looking at the  kit.

VW-Refurb-017.jpg

The important things here were the positioning of those lines as they align with their counterparts on all the panels adorning the interior.  The challenge I faced here was that the panels had to be thin, probably 1mm or less, yet they had to have those lines debossed into them, also there was a little bit of curvature going on there too.  After mulling it over I decided just to go for it and print something. Trying to evaluate those lines and curves on screen was impossible but once I had something in my hands it would give me a fairly good idea of what was going on and I could tweak it from there.

An hour or so later and I had a main interior panel and the panel that is immediately behind the front seat.  Nothing too fancy as I can always go overboard on detail later.  The panel that fits immediately behind the front seats is contoured on one side to fit the curve of the vehicle wall.  I could spend an hour or two trying to match that contour, or as I have done here, is model the panel with two vertical sides, and then I can file the outer edge to suit - much easier.

Screenshot-2022-09-05-143928.jpg

As this was just a quick touchy-feely test I just used the default supports in Chitubox and set the layer height to 0.05mm for a quick print

Capture1.png

Just over an hour later I had the prints cleaned up and ready to go.  Since my camera is hopeless at capturing the grey resin in its raw natural state I squirted some of my fast dwindling grey Alclad sludge over the parts to give the camera a chance to focus.

A quick dry fit and things are looking promising. It took all of twenty seconds with a file to get that panel to nest nicely with the van wall.

P9050004.jpg

Actually, it looks very promising.  I had not epxected to get things to close on the first attempt.  If anything those panel lines are just a tad too deep.  There's a slight misalignment between the lines on one panel to the next so I'll need to take a closer look at that.

P9050005.jpg

Regarding the depth of those lines -  just a slight change in the viewing angle can change that impression of depth.

P9050006.jpg

If I can remember correctly I have those lines as extruded cuts set at 0.2mm deep with a 25 degree draft. The draft is then radiused all around.  I think if I reduce the depth of that extrude from 0.2 to 0.15 or even 0.125mm it should work out nicely. A nice easy job for later.

Now back to that rear end again.  As I was staring at the foil/fasteners doobries, something was eating at me.  Something wasn't quite right.  Glancing at my reference shots I spotted the error.   When I removed the flat panel I had made a vertical cut from the engine bulkhead when in fact, the cut should have followed the angle of the engine , actually the fuel tank bulkhead.  (check the second photo in this post and you'll see what I mean)

There. that's better now.

P9050007.jpg

There's going to be a lot more cutting and grinding before any real construction work begins on this but so far it's been fun.  After the soul grinding of the 504 in its latter stages this is a breath of fresh air.  I'm looking forward to some of the challenges though I know there are going to be a few surprises along the way.  If I put my mind to it, I think I'll be able to make a presentable T2 out of this snap together toy kit.

• Like 20

Lovely work. I wonder why you waited for Revell (in this case) to produce the T2 model. 

The reason is that you probably will modify 95% of the kit, so why bother with a kit😉

Interesting build and I will follow it to the end (what year according to your planning?)

Nice work sofar. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great work so far but a quick question are you going to move the side sliding door to the other side of the body to match your 1:1 model.

Stay safe          Roger 

This is worrying. I have other projects already started, yet this has reminded me that I have a 1968 model MGB kit in the stash to build as the 1972 model I owned for 10 years. 

I shall resist.

I SHALL resist....

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, hendie said:

Now back to that rear end again.

No, stop it! You are naughty.

The panels look good from here. I'm on tenterhooks for more. (Should I stop this stuff?)

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

I have a 1968 model MGB kit in the stash to build

It's probably rusted away by now..

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's probably rusted away by now..

Mine had a brand new body shell, all done by yours truly (on account of I wrote it off after an 18 month restoration!)

No rust problems, or any other problems, whatsoever, after that.

It was my every day car.

Ian

• Like 3

I meant the model.

A well rebuilt B can be a good drive. Plus, you can have confidence in your skills. Rather than trusting that someone else has done it properly.

Over the years I've seen rather a lot of bodged ones. My Son in Laws Father has an MGB that he loves. It's shiny. I can see the faults, He can't.

• Like 2

Look what I found

My mate over the road has a T2 type thingy in orange and cream which is different to yours (later) but if you need any structural info, call me.

Ah look, ABK Hell at the bar, yummy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/5/2022 at 5:49 PM, giemme said:

Great, we have printed stuff at page 1 already (and even some primer :D ) - this is going to be good :clap:

Ciao 

don't get too excited Giorgio, there's a long way to go yet

On 9/6/2022 at 4:33 AM, Pouln said:

Lovely work. I wonder why you waited for Revell (in this case) to produce the T2 model. 

The reason is that you probably will modify 95% of the kit, so why bother with a kit😉

Interesting build and I will follow it to the end (what year according to your planning?)

Nice work sofar. 👍

hi Pouln, at my current build rate I reckon around 6 months on this, give or take a year. Or two.

On 9/6/2022 at 8:31 AM, Hamden said:

Great work so far but a quick question are you going to move the side sliding door to the other side of the body to match your 1:1 model.

Stay safe          Roger 

Read on McRoger.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, Brandy said:

This is worrying. I have other projects already started, yet this has reminded me that I have a 1968 model MGB kit in the stash to build as the 1972 model I owned for 10 years. 

I shall resist.

I SHALL resist....

Ian

futile resistance is.  Rearrange to your hearts content but I expect to see that MG on these pages soon

On 9/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

No, stop it! You are naughty.

The panels look good from here. I'm on tenterhooks for more. (Should I stop this stuff?)

No, I believe you are up for the challenge Pete - keep going

On 9/6/2022 at 2:55 PM, Anteater said:

It must be camper van season. Crack on! 

On 9/8/2022 at 1:44 PM, perdu said:

Look what I found

My mate over the road has a T2 type thingy in orange and cream which is different to yours (later) but if you need any structural info, call me.

Ah look, ABK Hell at the bar, yummy.

thanks Bill. I'll let you know if I'm in need of any information when the time comes

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ahhh here you are. 🤩 Great start to an enchanting looking build. I’ll just sit quietly and enjoy the show. 😇👌👏👏👏

Johnny.

Yup, Dalek on the back burner for now and a VW at the fore and on we go.

More wanton destruction ahead.  I can't complain too much as this is first and foremost a snap together kit and that means that detail is either going to be missing, or blocky, or soft. In the case of the interior sun visors  it was both blocky and soft, therefore it had to go.  A few minutes with the scriber tool and a follow up with a saw and... 

P9060001.jpg

... sun visors are removed.  I hope I remember to fit some and remember to make some.

P9060002.jpg

I filled the gap with some plasticard which I tried to roll in two axes to make it look like headliner though I'm not sure I succeeded. That area is going to take a bit more work, but now now - there are much more important things to be going on with.

P9060003.jpg

Like filling up some holes and sink marks (with milliput)

P9060004.jpg

During lunchtimes at work I have been trying to model the air scoop on the rear quarter.  It turns out to be a LOT more complicated than it looks with all those compound curves spreading in all directions.  After a few false starts I decided just to model the front section of the scoop as I knew it was going to take a few attempts to get it right - it's nigh on impossible to get accurate dimension for what I need from the model, especially when the feature I want to model isn't actually there and I'm trying to interpret things from a few photographs.

Once I get the front section right I can concentrate on modeling the remainder.  (Sorry for the fuzzy foto - the camera just hates that resin. )

This was my first attempt - from the side it doesn't look too bad

P9100006.jpg

However, from a 3/4 view it's obvious I estimated the curvature way too large.  I guesstimated that the outermost part of that curve would be 3mm from the bodyshell.  3mm didn't seem like much but here it's huge.  Okay, back to the drawing board with that one then.

P9100007.jpg

I managed to narrowly miss another piece of hendertype idiocy the other evening - I had run out of Masterclub resin Rivets and thought I should get some more. A quick search online showed that most palces were out of stock, and those that had them in stock were charging serious money... then add the postage.

Then the penny dropped

Hendie. Numpty. I have CAD. I have resin. I have a 3D printer.

An hour and a bit later and I have several hundred rivets. I'll start doing nuts and bolts etc. when I have a bit more time, and I'll explain why I needed these later in the post.

P9100008.jpg

Later being now of course.  The rear door, like all the other doors has the panels/door cards etc. molded in.  The detail is okay for what it is, but everything seems too thin and too flat.  For the rear door I added a piece of 0.75mm plasticard as the door inner skin then overlaid a piece of 0.25mm plasticard for the cover panel.- and that needed fasteners.  i.e. some of those resin wotnots I just printed above.

P9100009.jpg

Those are domed head rivets but once I flatten them down with a few rubs fo micromesh they should look okay.

I began the same process on the two front doors and was going to added this pair of carvings as inner skin

P9090005.jpg

until I realized that I may as well print the door skin along with the door card.  Those two parts above didn't go to waste through - I scanned them and used them as templates for drawing up the door card

Screenshot-2022-09-10-100002.jpg

I kept the window winder as a separate item as I can have them at different rotations on each door, and the speaker cover was speareate as it will be easier to paint.  I don't know why I didn't do that with the handle and door latch.

Capture3.png

The front seat support panels were also added to the print run along with a few other bits n pieces. Those have all now been printed, washed off and in the process of being cured.  Tomorrow we shall see what we have and make adjustments as necessary.

Capture2.png

The air diffuser vent was a late item today - I remembered that each of those panels in the shot above need one. It was modeled up in about half an hour but was too late for todays print run. Again this was made as a separate item so I can have each one at different rotations

Screenshot-2022-09-10-152458.jpg

In between the destruction and the printing I even managed to make some small progress on the actual construction side of things.  The sliding door - which is on the wrong side on this kit - had the door handle recess filled with milliput and sanded flush (I hope) and after all that, the door was glued into place with TET.  There was a bit of a warp or twist in the door  but that was easily taken care of by gluing the other sides in place first and once set, a ice of Tamiya tape pulled the door into alignment and TET applied to the seam.

P9100010.jpg

Mr DIssolved Putty was applied to part of the door rail as the seam is now in the wrong place. I'll sand that flush and scribe a new seam tomorrow. The fuel filler location needs moved - it should be centered above the rear wheel arch, but for some reason that job scares me so I'm avoiding it as much as I can at the moment.

P9100001.jpg

Cutting out the sliding door on the UK side seemed a much easier proposition so I went ahead with that. I used my el cheapo scribing tool (from China) which is fantastic for these type of jobs. The scriber did most of the job and I used a razor saw just to finish off at each corner.  Once I pluck up courage I shall have to dig out a deceptively complicated recess for the door handle.

P9100011.jpg

By the time that was all over my print run had finished so all the parts were removed from the build plate, washed and set to cure.  However I did take the opportunity to do a dry fit and evaluate the air scoop version 2.

I had increased the height by 1mm and judging by this shot I think it could use another 0.5mm. I'm happy with the angle of the front face as it runs aft from the panel line.

P9100007.jpg

and a 3/4 view shows it being much better than my last attempt. I dropped the 3mm dimension down to 1.75 but I reckon it could do with reducing by another 0.25mm.  It seems crazy that such a small difference in dimension would make such an impact but it does and who am I to argue?

P9100005.jpg

I am having trouble trying to determine the sequence of assembly with this bus. I think I'm going to have to leave most of the interior until after the floorpan is installed and fixed into the bodyshell.  I think it's the only way to ensure a neat finished assembly. If I try and construct the interior while the floorpan is still being dry fitted on a frequent basis, things are bound to move. After doing so many aircraft, trying to shift my brain into vehicle mode is proving a challenge.

BTW - does anyone have any recommendations on paint for the orange on a 71 VW T2?   The Revell instructions are useless and I'm not sure which paint would be a good match for the VW orange.  I think the VW name was SIerra Yellow.  I've always thought of it as orange but apparently that is not the case.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, hendie said:

Then the penny dropped

Hendie. Numpty. I have CAD. I have resin. I have a 3D printer.

Doh! :laugh:

4 hours ago, hendie said:

but for some reason that job scares me

Make suitable hole in metal plate. Scribe around inside. Simples.

Judging by the above, the seat backs, door cards and vents should look great. The intake still looks a little large from here?

Could you print a new sliding door to make the handle recess work easier?

Have a great week. Pete

• Like 4

I was just about to scream "use the sliding door as a template before you glue it in" - 'cos you hadn't mentioned opening up the other side yet. Then I looked at the piccie and saw you'd done it.

Please arrange your posts better to avoid giving those of us of a nervous disposition palpitations!

Coming along very nicely I must say, and your expectation of me rearranging my builds doesn't help..... :nah:

Ian

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Make suitable hole in metal plate. Scribe around inside. Simples.

What our esteemed Imp says.

I think you may be being too restrained, having enjoyed the benefits (?) of scale creep on countless occasions the probably required height of the eyebrow might be even closer to no mo' than 1.25mm.

6 hours ago, hendie said:

(Sorry for the fuzzy foto - the camera just hates that resin. )

As I don't have a piece of such resin AND a smartphone handy and I have to suggest instead of demonstrating, since resin is a soft surface which seems to suck in light to prevent focussing and cause fuzzy pictures have you considered giving the phone a focus point?

A single line or dot of graphite from a pencil might give you the focus you need and allow nicer pictures.

I feel duty bound to mention that fuzzy photographs should be my domain and hope you can get over the illusion of fuzziness.

If my photos were that 'fuzzy' I guarantee I'd never receive Ian's further pictorial assistance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6