1/48 - North American B-25J Mitchell by HK Models - released

Homebee

On 9/3/2022 at 6:59 AM, Tiger331 said:

GREAT !........I've been holding off buying the Old Monogram/Revell kit

You are smarter than me!  I was also waiting, and I couldnt wait and just got several monogram kits just a month before this announcement!  Thats the way it always goes!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 30/08/2022 at 15:21, franky boy said:

Great news. 

Was the 1/32 version considered an accurate kit if this is a scaled down version of that? And how will this stack up against the older Accurate Miniatures kit?

James

Lot's of complaining about the 1/32 scale one on the Hyperscale forum, but they complain about just about every kit anyway. Let's wait and see how this one turns out, I'm excited. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Eivind Lunde said:

Lot's of complaining about the 1/32 scale one on the Hyperscale forum, but they complain about just about every kit anyway. Let's wait and see how this one turns out, I'm excited. 

Is any kit 100% accurate, surely there has to be some acceptance that no kit is and as such one should just enjoy it for what it is? 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Hornet133 said:

The vent is visible in Homebee's post of 14 Sept with the made up model photos (but you will have to look closely as it is way undersize...)

Ah, right, I stand corrected. Yes it is a little small isn't it? And too far underneath or is that an optical illusion?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good, will be getting one, but ... to tail sit or not to tail sit? Glazed nose, not a lot of room there to put lead shot, forward of main wheels in engine bays perhaps? wont be displaying open engine bays here. Thats one of the things I like about Tamiya kits, they provide the correct weight to take the guessing out, some manufacturers state insert xx amount of weight, but often I have found that is not enough.

EDIT: Should have read above review first, there is a shaped weight inside box, excellent :)

Are there any other good A/M decal sheets out for this version of 25 I wonder? If not soon will be I guess?

Should be out for Christmas then? nice one 👍

Edited by One 48
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, One 48 said:

Are there any other good A/M decal sheets out for this version of 25 I wonder? If not soon will be I guess?

Considering the old Monogram kit in 1/48 is pretty much the only game in town for a B-25J until now ? Id say yes so either they get reprinted and re-sized to fit this specific kit. Or you adapt them to work. Pretty much if you wanted an earlier Mitchell from the “B” through “G”. You had the Accurate miniature’s or their various re issues by Academy, Revell, or Italeri ? Or you had the Ancient Revell “C/D” kit. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 5:18 PM, Homebee said:

Thank you!

My first impressions are quite good, though there will be space for some aftermarket improvements, like the exausts, engines and bomb bay doors. The Accurate Miniatures kit could also benefit from some of the anticipated sets I hope.

Anyway, looking forward to get one! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very excited about this - but c.100 Euro's RRP seems a lot for a 1/48 twin engine aeroplane kit, especially one with only two schemes in the box...

I guess that's the prerogative of any manufacturer who knows there's no real competition. Hope someone makes a new tool Marauder soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bruce bay said:

Very excited about this - but c.100 Euro's RRP seems a lot for a 1/48 twin engine aeroplane kit, especially one with only two schemes in the box...

I guess that's the prerogative of any manufacturer who knows there's no real competition. Hope someone makes a new tool Marauder soon.

Agreed, just picked up the old AM kit in AC box.

How much were those new? (And adjusted for inflation?)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Agreed, just picked up the old AM kit in AC box.

How much were those new? (And adjusted for inflation?)

They were triple what they are in the Academy boxing here in Canada when first released by AM. In fact, they are $35 Cdn here in Canada, which is very low for any 1/48 scale kits on the shelves, let alone a twin engine B-25,

On 08/10/2022 at 20:18, One 48 said:

Are there any other good A/M decal sheets out for this version of 25 I wonder?

On 09/10/2022 at 07:44, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Considering the old Monogram kit in 1/48 is pretty much the only game in town for a B-25J until now ? Id say yes so either they get reprinted and re-sized to fit this specific kit. Or you adapt them to work

The Monogram B-25H/J  is from their 70's era when they seemed to generally make kits that were very good dimensionally, ( I think due to Bill Koster) I've never seen any major complaints about the main shapes/dimensions,  so if the HK kits is as good as presumed,  then those should fit..

Unless the base kit is off, then AM decals should work fine. 

a fair idea of what is out there is what Ultracast have 

https://www.ultracast.ca/1-48-Decals-B-25-Mitchell-s/362.htm

the pricing is erm, on the high side.... 

Fair amount of options for a J, USAAF in Italy, (lots of nose art)  RAF in NW Europe, VVS,  and with some minor mods, as a PBY-1J,  the USMC used them in a 3 colour scheme in the pacific.   Does the kit have the strafer nose,  there were converted gun J models.

You might want to read this as well

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/North-American-B-25-Mitchell

B-25%20North%20American%20Mitchell%20Cam

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

They were triple what they are in the Academy boxing here in Canada when first released by AM. In fact, they are $35 Cdn here in Canada, which is very low for any 1/48 scale kits on the shelves, let alone a twin engine B-25,

Thanks, so triple the price of the OLD AM kit does put it in the ballpark

Can't wait to get my hands on one and do "Dumbo" from Catch 22. :) I found out about it just after buying the Revellogram one (which was the only game in town for the J model until now) on Ebay and instantly canceled my order. :)

Edited by Nikola Topalov

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Surprised this one is taking so long to find the way to the market, I know a few people with test shots in hand, usually kits from China show up on eBay before they hit the shops in the rest of the world, not this time. I’ve only see two for sale and both were North American sellers, I think they had test shots.

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

Surprised this one is taking so long to find the way to the market, I know a few people with test shots in hand, usually kits from China show up on eBay before they hit the shops in the rest of the world, not this time. I’ve only see two for sale and both were North American sellers, I think they had test shots.

I have one on the way from Modellbau Koenig in Germany, still showing as 'in stock' a few minutes ago.....

• Like 1