Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

I usually try to keep on top of and follow most builds in the classic group builds. This time I’ve been finding it all a bit overwhelming, so I can only imagine how the hosts feel!

Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying seeing such a variety of builds under way, and even if I don’t comment or add a like I’m still passing by occasionally to see what’s happening. :like:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I usually try to keep on top of and follow most builds in the classic group builds. This time I’ve been finding it all a bit overwhelming, so I can only imagine how the hosts feel!

Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying seeing such a variety of builds under way, and even if I don’t comment or add a like I’m still passing by occasionally to see what’s happening. :like:

Me too! I feel guilty about not dropping in on all the builds, there are so many. What I have seen though are all very high quality, so a collective 'You've all done very well!' to you all.

Take a mo for @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader for their tasks - thanks especially to you both

Ray (who will start his second build very soon!)

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Well, I've just won a Matchbox Martini Porsche 935 on eBay, which I think was the last unclaimed 1:32 car kit.

I'll probably need some new decals for it, so any recommendations are welcome.

Edited by johnlambert
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Well, I've just won a Matchbox Martini Porsche 935 on eBay, which I think was the last unclaimed 1:32 car kit.

I'll probably need some new decals for it, so any recommendations are welcome.

That’s excellent news John great catch! I’m afraid I’m no help on the decal front, so hopefully someone else will come along and offer some sound advice. Unless you haven’t already, you can always pop a question over into the Buy/Sell/Wants section, you never know your luck. I’ll update the Build thread when you start a WIP for it. 

Cheers and well done.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading the comments above its nice to think that some of you feel as if you’re not spreading your love across all the fantastic Matchbox build threads. Believe me, as co-host its no easy feat and its only been within the last two days that I feel as if I’ve now got this under some sort of control. It doesn’t take long to be a page or so behind but I think we are all adult enough to understand that this is a huge Group Build and most of us find it hard to get some modelling in, let alone play keyboard warrior across 200+ WIP threads! 

Pat and I are delighted by everyone’s fantastic contributions and strong encouragement. It goes a long way and this is more than evident by the depth of subjects covered and the excellent Gallery results seen so far. 

Cheers and keep on Matchbox modelling (and buying).. Dave 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I've solved the problem of which scheme to paint my Henschel 126 - I just bought another one on the Bay, so I can do both!

🤪

Adrian

The perfect solution. The logic is faultless, well done that man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Following on from @AdrianMF wonderful example,

What do you do when you have far too many kits already ?

Answer of course buy another one !

IMG_6305

This was missing from the build list, goodness only know when / how I'll find the time to build it but it won't be for the lack of endeavour I can assure you !

Cheers Pat

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Look what arrived today from my dear friend Mr Kingkit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Lightning is of particular concern.  Although Mr Kingkit classed it as "pre-owned" the box was cellophane sealed and the ends were glued down.  It is clear that the parts had never seen the light of day - quite literally - for about forty years.   I was somewhat conflicted about opening it as I am just diminishing the worldwide pool of Matchbox kits.  However, the box has been slightly damaged so the kit isn't exactly pristine.

Think I'm gonna build it! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

That Lightning looks fantastic. I doubt I could open one that good, but collectors are weird.

I have just opened up, and removed all the parts from the sprues of a later boxing though, just to hold back my collecting tendencies for a bit. The parts are somewhat different from any other Lightning I've built before. Some of the detailing wouldn't look out of place on a tank.

31 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Lightning is of particular concern.  Although Mr Kingkit classed it as "pre-owned" the box was cellophane sealed and the ends were glued down.  It is clear that the parts had never seen the light of day - quite literally - for about forty years.   I was somewhat conflicted about opening it as I am just diminishing the worldwide pool of Matchbox kits.  However, the box has been slightly damaged so the kit isn't exactly pristine.

That Lightning looks fantastic. I doubt I could open one that good, but collectors are weird.

I have just opened up, and removed all the parts from the sprues of a later boxing though, just to hold back my collecting tendencies for a bit. The parts are somewhat different from any other Lightning I've built before. Some of the detailing wouldn't look out of place on a tank.

Will sir be going for a bright metal finish, or a cammo one? Whichever you go for, I'll do the other.

10 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Will sir be going for a bright metal finish, or a cammo one? Whichever you go for, I'll do the other.

I really want to go for the full metal finish.  :)  But don't let that stop you from building your favourite scheme. 

9 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I really want to go for the full metal finish.  :)  But don't let that stop you from building your favourite scheme. 

I'll go for a green and grey 5 Sqn aircraft, Binbrook 1977 then.

That works out well as all my built Lightnings are bright metal. A bit of cammo will make a change.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

spacer.png

Ive loved this since the first time I saw it. SWMBO on the other hand just stares with the “Your insane look” and shakes her head. 

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tasty looking Lightning, I need more of these especially in the all green over silver German based ones. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have a FB friend who loves buying old and 'collectable' kits and then building them often cutting up the boxes to make a display board. He did the Airfix Boy Scout a while back and watching the reactions was quite amusing. I think that poor kit has been unloved long enough it needs to be released and built.

Got to say there are some builds here to suit any taste and so, so many of them. What a great GB.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

If I didn't know any better, I would believe Enzo just said," If I dood it, I'll get a whoopin'...... I dood it!

• Haha 2

I'll have to print that Maths poster off for the wall!! its perfect!

there seems to be loads of those lightnings about still, I had the same dilemma,  open a box, 1 kit less , others kits price rises...I'm not in it for making cash though, Just Making enjoyment.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 3:08 PM, stevej60 said:

Well build number two has fallen by the wayside in the form of the Voodoo.The fit of parts was a big letdown in the end and I haven't

the patience to waste time when I've other tried and tested kits to go at!

sorry to hear that, I had this kit for ages but sold it off, it was pretty awful when compare say to the Revell one 

On 2/10/2022 at 3:35 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Disappointing Steve,

Is there any way you could cut it into sections and pose  it open? 

I had a look in the spares box last night for you but no joy, sorry, 

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Evilbay has is listed as a "great price". 

You'd better get two, just in case the first one makes you sick...  :lol:  

• Haha 3

I remember one poor seller trying to shift an original Airfix Jaguar kit for £200,the listing was on for over a year or more then Airfix

re-released it in their Classic's range.I find in most cases prices are reasonable and do appreciate there are collectors that will pay

more for sealed and mint kit's but it's either a typo or they've not checked the listing after selling.