Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

On 03/02/2022 at 23:10, rossm said:

Let me know if you do - I won't be using the kit ones.

Hi, Ross, I've just tried one of the roundel decals... It's horrible! All bobbly and nasty looking. Are your decals still available?

20220305_220320

Edited by Jeff J
Added photo of nasty looking bobbly decal.

2 hours ago, Jeff J said:

Hi, Ross, I've just tried one of the roundel decals... It's horrible! All bobbly and nasty looking. Are your decals still available?

Jeff, are these original Matchbox decals? I've found that they don't really take to decal softening solutions (if that's what you've used) and just require a nice dose of warm water to bed down nicely. Perhaps try the other wing's roundel and see how you go. 

Cheers and best of luck... Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Oh God another bid in, the wife has started to notice parcel's arriving the "but they're e-bay cheapies" is starting to lose it's effect.

Perhaps order Mrs J a nice bunch of flowers. That  should give you some 'credits' and might help her look past the next twenty odd parcels that come your way!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh, look what the postie brought today...

spacer.png

I haven't made a ship model since maybe an Airfix HMS Hood in around1968, but I'm game to give this little guy a try. Looks like lots of tiny parts...

And the Lightning is all silver grey - did Matchbox really decide that it was ok to do all one colour if the subject was mostly one colour?

Edited by drdjp11
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Jeff J said:

20220305_220320

@Jeff J They may settle down after a while, I have had that happen with some other transfers but a little while later they are okay.

If Ross does not still have his, I have a full set of Revell markings that I can send you, being newer they should hopefully be better.

You certainly do seem to be having some 'challenges' with this build, I hope all goes well,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ray S said:

@Jeff J They may settle down after a while, I have had that happen with some other transfers but a little while later they are okay.

If Ross does not still have his, I have a full set of Revell markings that I can send you, being newer they should hopefully be better.

You certainly do seem to be having some 'challenges' with this build, I hope all goes well,

Ray

That one did settle down, as you have predicted, but has cracked a lot...

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Brace yourselves but we are now into our 12th page of builds 

It’s funny but I’m finding there’s something therapeutic to building old matchbox kits, totally unlike any other brand, Airfix and Tamiya figured equally large in my childhood, so it’s not specifically nostalgia. Can’t quite put my finger on it, but once the Fury and the Helldiver are done ( the two tanks are complete, just waiting to take some decent photos) I will definitely be trying to acquire a few more kits for the GB.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

It’s funny but I’m finding there’s something therapeutic to building old matchbox kits, totally unlike any other brand, Airfix and Tamiya figured equally large in my childhood, so it’s not specifically nostalgia.

...absolutely agree with that, and great to build them again with more attention.

It's interesting that none of the Truck subjects seem to be covered in the GB (unless I've missed them!), were they not well liked by truck and lorry model builders?

I did consider converting the Matchbox Peterbilt 359 to the Dual film star but could be a lot of work.

• Like 2

Hi @71chally

Any of the "Matchboxed" Trucks are very welcome

I was tempted to buy one recently having never built one before.

Fortunately I messaged the seller first as the kit was actually just the trailer not the truck shown pulling it on the box ! :banghead:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Yes, you have to watch that with some of the truck kits!

When I was kid a family farmer friend brought me what he thought was an ERTL Massey Ferguson and trailer kit for Christmas, when I saw him next I thanked him for the kit and how well the trailer built up (it's a fantastic kit for it's time) and he asked if I had started the tractor yet - he was gutted when I told him it wasn't included in the kit!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ertl-8008-farm-wagon--577444

Edited by 71chally
  • Sad 1

Once again I’ve been offline for a few days as we’ve had a bit of a local internet outage. Thankfully its now all restored, so I’ll get back to my normal Build List updates and popping in and out of everyone’s WIP threads a little later on. Amazingly I’ve used the keyboard downtime to get some Matchbox modelling done so there’s an ironic plus side to all that! 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 9

Very good @Jeff J, some excellent ideas in there, including the all-important roll of kitchen towel between the pilots, and the notes attached to the control columns. I may have to include them in my next one!

Ray

44 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Very good @Jeff J, some excellent ideas in there, including the all-important roll of kitchen towel between the pilots, and the notes attached to the control columns. I may have to include them in my next one!

Ray

Also, if you have crew figurines, no shoes!

Just having a trawl through the Revell kits trying to see what's out there for the GB later in the year there's a fair smattering of

re-boxed Matchbox kit's on e-bay in 1/72 if anyone fancies a look.

• Like 1

I have not yet put a completed build into the Gallery.  I have a Jaguar, A-7, Meteor NF.11, and two Hawks that are all done bar the shouting.  I hope to do the shouting this weekend.

My Strikemasters, Comet tanks, Jaguar SS/100 and Gnat will probably be shouted about the weekend after.  That leaves eleven weeks to the end of the GB...

I have some plans...   One of them is very cunning!  :wicked: 

The second Classic GB for this year is the Revell/Monogram one.  Monogram produced a Boeing F4B-4 kit.  The F4B-4 was the naval version of the P-12E.  Those two kits would be a nice link between the two Classic GBs. 

• Like 5

Oh. My. Word!  

It's been a few days since I've looked through the gallery thread.  In that time, it has just gone utterly mad! :mental:   We are not yet halfway through the GB and the gallery is just on the cusp of exceeding the capablilites of the forum software to handle the poll.  :yikes:  

I think this GB is probably the most popular GB ever.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think this GB is probably the most popular GB ever.  

And that my friend is an amazing result. I did a very quick update yesterday and at that point we had 271 Work In Progress threads and 70 beautifully completed Matchbox kits in the GB Gallery. Of the 177 uniquely Matchbox designed plastic kits we have nominations to build 164 of them, which is 92.7%. This figure will also grow as I have not updated a few of the late build proposals of the last few days. It has truly been a fantastic GB and I look forward to an even bigger few weeks of builds and completions as we near the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 8

On 10/03/2022 at 21:33, Enzo Matrix said:

utterly mad! :mental:

The describes my build rather neatly, Enzo.  Who would have known that The Most Basic Kit In The World..... Ever (TM) could also have been the one that's thrown up the most problems and taken me longer than anything else I've built for months - in fact, since the completion of the Never-Ending Tempest?!  Its latest trick is to have soaked up half a can of Mr Super Clear.