1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Well I can't disagree with my colleagues @beefy66 and @robgizlu re the splendid look of the dazzle scheme, but I do have to put a counter vote in for option 1, as I am a Cold War nerd (alright, that one is almost post cold war). So, the pressure builds! ...

There's always one ...    :rofl:

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Btw, I looked at the ebay option. Yes, certainly pricey I agree, yet I could be tempted if it were not for the prohibitive postage costs to us in the UK. Maybe I should get one of my sons (who lives in Toronto) to buy it for me, and I collect it when I next go and see him!

Terry

Terry,  Shipping from the US to Canada isn't cheap.  It cost me just a little under a third of the price of the model alone. :surprised:

John

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

The 'groupies' up there  can't all be wrong but I do agree, 2019-2020 fit a given.

Stuart

Hey Beefy - you good looking Devil - ever been called a "groupie" before ?

Nah - me neither - best Xmas present I'll have 

Thanks Stuart :kissing2:

;)

Rob ( appearing with a band near you soon - Lockdown permitting)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

The 'groupies' up there  can't all be wrong but I do agree, 2019-2020 fit a given.

Stuart, I always thought you are a man of taste. Must be down to all that time you spent lurking below the surface!

Am I the only cold war nerd to admit it?

Terry

Stay safe and stay away from groupies

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Stuart, I always thought you are a man of taste. Must be down to all that time you spent lurking below the surface!

Am I the only cold war nerd to admit it?

Terry

Stay safe and stay away from groupies

Nothing wrong with being a cold war nerd Terry, but how often do you get to paint  a modern FFG in dazzle camouflage!  So it's option 3 for me all the way.

Incidentally, my son who works "on the inside" showed me an image a couple of months ago that was doing the rounds at work.  Artists impression of QE in a WW1 style ARGUS dazzle camouflage 🤯

• Like 4

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hey Beefy - you good looking Devil - ever been called a "groupie" before ?

Rob you have got to be kidding although missus B does still keep winking at me I am starting to feel really insecure now being called a Groupie  :yikes:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Nothing wrong with being a cold war nerd Terry, but how often do you get to paint  a modern FFG in dazzle camouflage!  So it's option 3 for me all the way.

Thanks Ralph, although I am feeling a little outnumbered here at the moment! 😨

I'll just have to get one myself and build a Cold War jobby!

Terry

What is quite telling though, is even in that photo in really good conditions, just how effective dazzle camouflage is.  Yes you can tell its a ship, but you have to look 2 or 3 times before it's obvious what type of ship and in marginal weather conditions where perhaps you just get one fleeting view, I can see it being quite challenging to get that cert ID that perhaps is what is needed for the rules of engagement.

• Like 1

Could this be my last Brave Borderer in progress post?

Could be!

Two small pump action fire extinguishers are finished, one on each side of the turbine air intake structure.

50734821132_d08b87e7a4_c.jpg

I was surprised to see this type of extinguisher in use in the late '50's.  It turns out this extinguisher type was around for a long time, e.g. used in bomber aircraft during WWII.  Aircraft designers influenced BB's design, so I guess that's why these extinguishers were on BB.  This design of extinguisher was manufactured into the 1960's.

Next, radio antennae were made using black plastic stretched sprue.  Antenna terminals on the bridge superstructure were made from pieces cut from small gauge wire insulation.

50734822067_d743c88004_c.jpg

So, that's it.  With the exception of a few paint touchups, I'm calling this build complete.  :yahoo: The build celebrated its 18 month anniversary last Tuesday.

Here's a few quick photos showing how she looks today;

Display Nameplate:

50734547656_f857e4d8fa_w.jpg

Bow Views;

50733816903_da84de222a_c.jpg

50734654082_fc3b387bb2.jpg

Starboard Side;

50733821523_1a13416e4c_c.jpg

Stern View;

50734552206_499b5d2f5a_c.jpg

Overhead View;

50733824538_83c2a7afa0_c.jpg

I'll wait for better lighting & take some better close-up photos before adding this build to the 'Ready for Inspection' section.

A special thank you to 'longshanks' for providing the information & encouragement I needed to get this build started.  And, thanks again to all of you who have followed along and added your feedback & encouragement.

See you in the Ready for Inspection section soon.

Stay safe!

John 

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much, John, for the pleasure I have had in following your work! In addition to the beautiful ship, you have created here the most complete encyclopedia of Brave Borderer, concentrated in one place. Great job!

Dmitriy

• Thanks 1

Well it has been a long time coming but WOW well worth it John just hope Santa remembers to bring me a new notebook for the next build  :worthy:

Stay Safe and Best Wishes

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As you know John the Brave Borderer had long been on my to do list. As a 15 year old we were taken out on I believe on HMS Dido.  Whilst at full chat the two Brave class boats passed us at full speed seemingly leaving us standing still. The stuff of dreams.Just as it seemed the pieces were coming together you started :rage:

I have watched in awe at the level of research (aided by the BM family) and build quality. I know I could never have built her the the standard you have.

A dream come true. I'm now free to carry on with my little boats

Thank you for a very entertaining 18 months

:clap2::thumbsup::clap2:

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1