Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,526 Excellent


About JohnWS

  • Rank
    Obsessed Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Better tidy up those springs before the tide starts coming in.
  2. JohnWS

    Hawk Graphics decals

    Good luck! Fingers crossed. John
  3. JohnWS

    Hawk Graphics decals

    Pappy. Suggest you try http://www.floatingdrydock.com. They're located in Maryland, USA. I ordered Hawk Graphics hull number decals from http://www.floatingdrydock.com in March, 2018 when they were located in Florida, with no problems. John
  4. Details, details ... 'Enjoying' is an understatement, Kev. Personally, I'm in awe of your weathering/aging techniques and attention to detail, & at such a small scale too. John
  5. The nameplates are homemade (something to do with my Scottish ancestors & money ) I use a combination of Photoshop & MS Powerpoint, starting with images of a brass nameplate, flags, etc. downloaded from the Internet. Powerpoint has nice shadow techniques & engraving fonts to give a 3D appearance. I print the image on glossy photo paper to give it a shiny appearance. e.g. John
  6. Further to my conclusion - Although similar, the Brave-class boats & Perkasa were two different designs for two different navies. Perkasa was ordered by the Royal Malaysian Navy in 1964. She was red below the waterline - see MALAYSIAN NAVY FAST PATROL BOAT SPEED TRIALS - K.D. PERKASA. Prior to Perkasa, the Brave-Class boats were built for the Royal Navy between 1958 & 1960 and were painted black below the waterline. At the time the first Tamiya model kit came out, most of us (including myself) not knowing any better, assumed Perkasa (red bottom & all) was an RN boat since the box art & the kit included the RN white ensign flag. We were wrong! John
  7. Over the last few years, my model building has focused on 1/72 WWII 70 foot & 80 foot Motor Torpedo boats. I thought it would be fun to see how the 90 foot Brave-Class boats compare in size. The Brave-Class are big boats by comparison. I found it interesting to see how MTB design & performance changed from the 1940's to the late 1950's.
  8. Glad you're here to help, Kev. What a team!
  9. Hi Kev. The base should be okay. The oak is heavy and seems to anchor the model well. I'll be putting the BB model in a display case that has a larger wood base. The model's base will be attached to the display case with a wood screw, similar to my other builds. e.g. John
  10. Time for another update. I've been able to get a couple of things completed. First, I added six hinges to the trim control flap at the stern. As these are located below the waterline, I wasn't able to find any photos of these parts so I improvised using line drawings found on the 'net. Second, I made a display stand for the model using a piece of 1"x2" oak wood trim. And finally, the main deck, made from 1 mm thick Evergreen plastic card, was glued to the modified Perkasa hull. The deck's camber & sheer were made by heating up the plastic card before cutting it to size & then carefully bending it over a piece of round wooden dowel to achieve the required lateral & longitudinal curves. The finished deck was reinforced with lateral curved supports cut from plastic card, and a piece of 1/4" square wood cut to the length of the deck and bent to match the longitudinal sheer curve. Both the plastic & wood supports were glued to the underside of the deck using CA glue. I drilled two small holes in the deck to allow the CA glue fumes to escape. These holes will be covered later by the superstructure. I'm excited to have the deck finished so I can start adding the tiny (breakable) hull details & begin working on the boat's superstructure. So, here's what the hull looks like today; One additional teaser photo showing the deck drawing & the 3D printed Bofors guns placed on the model's deck. Thanks for looking. John
  11. Any morning with a cup of coffee & reading a maritime modelling thread is a good morning.
  12. Kev, I started reading your post this morning, bleary eyed & before my morning coffee . I had a hard time trying to figure out what that thing (ribs & keel) was. In my little secluded world of warships, guns, & torpedos, it looked to me like part of an early radar antenna. Once I had a couple of drinks of coffee, the morning haze lifted & everything became clear (... well, as clear as I can be early in the morning ) Well done! Oh, and the tug's hull looks amazing too. John
  13. Thanks again everyone for your feedback. I'm going to go with black below the hull's waterline. Here's my last kick at the (black) cat. Two photos, one B&W & one colour showing black below the waterline. Note the difference in colour shades between the hull bottom & the torpedo warhead in the B&W photo. As Stuart mentioned in an earlier post, the warheads are red. Looking quite different than the colour below the waterline in the same photo. John
  14. They look awesome Kev. Spot on! The whole diorama just keeps looking better & better. John
  • Create New...