GB Chat

Now i have started to get the paint on my

Models-N-More 1/32 Resin Tribflugel i can see that the finish is easily in sight so even though my entry i the battle of britain G/B is only just started it is a smallish project which i think will give me time to enter and more importantly ,complete this P1010285.jpg

I have pulled it out from deep in the stash many times before over the past 5 years or so but i think now is the time to bring it to life.

From my initial investigations it looks like the conversion was masterd for the Dragon kit . Am i correct in thinking that the revell kit is a re boxing of the dragon kit as will be a little cheaperto buy .

have had a look at the resin and appears to be of good quality so i hope a quickish build.

Alistair

• Like 4

After much research and quite a bit of fiddling around, I've come to the conclusion that there's no way the EE Lightning can be made into a believable naval aircraft - there's just no room for fuel, a worthwhile weapons fit or (without some significant airframe changes) a useful radar and undercarriage suitable for carrier work - those skinny high pressure tyres, dictated by the thin wing, were often a source of 'interesting events' on a wet runway, I can but imagine how they'd cope with a wet carrier deck rising and falling on a north Atlantic swell. Maybe on one of the big US carriers, but not on the postage stamp sized Brit ones.

There was a naval variant proposed but it would have had variable geometry wings with a fairly substantial wing glove structure around the pivot similar to the Soviet SU-11/22. The thicker section of the wing glove area would have accommodated the stronger undercarriage legs. I seem to remember it would also have been based on the 2 seater, with a pilot and an observer/radar operator.

I'm pretty sure there's been a build of one here on BM.

Ant, I've seen the various sketches and manufacturer models of the proposed Sea Lightning, and I struggle to see how BAe could have sold it. I sat and did some sketches of my own, and even with adding 6 feet to the fuselage length, changing the Avons for smaller and more fuel efficient Speys and considering an enlarged spine to hold avionics or fuel, there's just not enough room in the fuselage to give the airframe any viable naval range.

The variable sweep wing can be done, but the undercarriage really needs to be in the fuselage, to both make it shorter/more stable and to free up wing undersurface for weapons. And the bullet radome has to go, to make room for a larger radar dish, which means side intakes. Which means it becomes allover less a Lightning and more a Frankenbeast. I just can't make it work in the real world for me.

Oh well.

(...)

From my initial investigations it looks like the conversion was masterd for the Dragon kit . Am i correct in thinking that the revell kit is a re boxing of the dragon kit as will be a little cheaperto buy .

have had a look at the resin and appears to be of good quality so i hope a quickish build.

Alistair[/

The Revell and Italeri boxes contain the Dragon/Trimaster IP

Rene

• Like 1

I'm just getting back in to making kits, just done a 1:72 Spitfire for my 2 year old grandson who flipped when one did some turns over Hereford Cathedral on Armed Forces day, he was totally blown away, he loves everything with wings and living in Hereford with rotors too, one more of us one less of them :-) the Spitfire I made is currently on CAP over his bed. I love what ifs :-) I love the imagination and indeed skill I see in every what if, so.......

I have a Wessex Mk3 in the stash and have been having that internal debate over which scheme to finish it in.

I have the back story, I have the kit. A simple paint job to make the back story come to life I think, no engineering, just a bit of fun to get the mojo back.

I'm in :-)

• Like 1

(...)

Alistair[/

The Revell and Italeri boxes contain the Dragon/Trimaster IP

Rene

Thanks Rene

I have a Trimaster Me262A-2a/u2 for a What if on steroids ,also a Trimaster Me262A-1a Nachtjager which could be used.

• Like 1

Thanks Rene

I have a Trimaster Me262A-2a/u2 for a What if on steroids ,also a Trimaster Me262A-1a Nachtjager which could be used.

You could always "Turbo-Prop" the 262? :whistle:

I now have a spare set of BMW 003 engine pods........I wonder how they would go on a 262??

• Like 1

I now have a spare set of BMW 003 engine pods........I wonder how they would go on a 262??

The engine position on the HG III are up against the fuselage so a turbo prop would not fit . I think Antares do a turbo prop conversion in 1/48 but have not seen it built. Just found the Unicraft web site and found you can get the Turboprops for the me262 in 1/32

When I start, will I need a separate thread for each model, or can I put them all in one thread?

A separate thread is preferred unless you are doing two of the same with minor variations.

Hey guys, i ll deffinitely show up in this thread, though it wont be before november i guess (need to finish like 3kits before :) ). My plan is "super defiant" for now - http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/aircraft/fantasy_1/fantasy_036.htmlgryphon engined with 4x20mm guns shoting forward ;) I ll probably change the night scheme (as late in war this kind of night fighter would not be necessary), add some drop fuel tanks and make it as long range fighter for supporting the bombers - as RAF did lack some real long range fighter.

That web is actualy quite nice source of what-if paint schemes for inspiration :)

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 4

That is a super cool project!!!!!

I was already thinking about my CA Defiant (first batch) to do something else with it, when the new Airfix comes out next year.

Cheers,

Interesting project. Have you ot a kit already selected for this one?

Yup, i ll go with the airfix 1/72 defiant, the nose section i ll take from legato seafire 46, probably with the two contra propellers, extra fuel tanks from revell hurricane IIc.

If i ll have more time, i m thinking about making some dieselpunk planes project, not exactly sure yet what plane i would take as a base, but i guess it would be some ww2 classic (P-40, spitfire, P-51, F4U,...)

few images i googled around so far for inspiration:)

chasing_airplane_by_Togman_Studio.jpg

p_dirty_eight_by_christianpearce_d4rrvnb

vtol_aircraft_by_kordal_d3wik3r.jpg

planes_wk14g.jpg

but the dieselpunk project would take more time, i have it in my mind for few months already:)

• Like 2

Built this about 4-5 years ago.

002-6.jpg

Actually looks half decent if you ignore my amateur modelling.

• Like 4

Or as the centre engines for a Me-262Z.

Cheers

Still debating which of my many ideas I am going to try for this GB.

I have several plans to just basically remark planes in different markings but I also have several more elaborate projects which will require some kit bashing/scratchbuilding and this might be the perfect opportunity to try doing one of them.

I also will probably be late getting started on this as have a couple review kits that have priority and a couple others that need finishing first.

• Like 1