1/32nd scale Halifax - finished

Fantastic work as usual

Many thanks!

The first task after yesterday's update was to sand the filler. Once this was done, I could check my handy work against the plans and to ensure everything was as it should be:

S1030530.jpg

Everything looked pretty good, so I could then start to add the additional details found on the legs. This was done with more plastic card and Evergreen strip, as well as a few parts from the spares box:

S1030534.jpg

S1030537.jpg

S1030540.jpg

Test fit, test fit, and test fit again is essential when scratch-building - here you can see the leg looks exactly as it should when mounted on the forward spar in the undercarriage bay:

S1030542.jpg

Now I was happy with the look and sit of the legs, it was time to add some primer:

S1030546.jpg

S1030547.jpg

Here is a test fit of the main wheels:

S1030551.jpg

S1030555.jpg

All in all, not bad, when you consider what I started with... nothing!

The retraction mechanism will need to be done, but I feel the hardest part was the main casting of the Messier strut, and now that's out of the way it should be plain sailing from here...

Tom

• Like 3

Nice and it all 'looks' so easy!

One question though, should the rims sit proud of the tyres or is this due to the limitation of the original kit supplied wheels?

The kit didn't provide any wheels so I had to make them myself, including the rims. I will at some point chamfer them so they sit in-line with the tyre itself.

I'm also on the case of some resin wheels so I'm not going to do any more to the ones I've made yet as I may be wasting my time!

Tom

I love being on school holidays as there's lots of time to make models! I've been busy again over the last day or two and have done some additional work to the three bomb cells found in each wing wing. I have added the dividers (these were made and saved from earlier in the build):

IMG_1917.jpg

I've added the ribbing in the bays to the sides and roof from various thicknesses of Evergreen, and I've also boxed the bays in with more Evergreen to ensure they are exactly the same sizes and the edges nice and square:

S1030571.jpg

I haven't added any bomb-racks or such like at this time as it will make painting these areas even trickier - I'll scratch build these and add them at a later time.

I then turned my attentions to the retraction mechanisms and struts for the main undercarriage. Once again it was more Evergreen and plastic card to the rescue, as well as cotton buds and nails to make the hydraulic jacks.

Top sides:

S1030557.jpg

Undersides:

S1030559.jpg

The hydraulic jacks are adjustable so when it comes to attaching the gear for good they can be moved into position and glued.

Here's a test fit:

S1030570.jpg

S1030574.jpg

This general view of the underside shows the gear looks as it should, as well as the H2S radome which has now been attached and filled - just a quick bit of sanding is needed here:

S1030578.jpg

I will now have to raid the spares box to see if I can come up with something for a tail wheel. Stay tuned!

Tom

• Like 2

I think this is becoming my favourite build of yours so far! The B-29 was superb but I just love this.

Thanks Radleigh - I must say I'm loving it too! I find that each vacform I build I tend to find easier and implement new skills I learnt on previous builds. That B-29 taught me a lot! To be fair, this is a far more straightforward project though.

And by the way - isn't it about time we saw an update on the Hudson?! :winkgrin:

A little more to update you on today...

I've had a go at making a tail wheel, and upon raiding the spares box came up with the following: a white metal leg from god-only-knows-what; an old 1/72nd scale Airfix Lancaster main wheel, some spare 1/24th scale Airfix Me109E engine bearers, and some unused flap tracks from a Trumpeter 1/32nd F/A-18F Super Hornet. Oh and of course the ever useful Evergreen tubing:

S1030582.jpg

After an hour or two I had something that resembles a Halifax MkII tailwheel:

S1030585.jpg

A whole was then drilled into the lower fuselage, and the tail wheel popped into position. The Evergreen tubing was inserted into the fuselage before hand and was secured to the roof to ensure a nice and strong structure; the white metal leg then slid into that:

S1030606.jpg

S1030609.jpg

I've also got the radome faired in nicely too:

S1030605.jpg

May I request a photo with a common household object (tin of beans, car keys, ruler, Great Dane) nearby to give a sense of scale please?

Here you go Jess, I think all items you requested except the Great Dane - I think the Yorkshire Terriers may object to one of those! That's a 12"/30cm ruler by the way...

S1030614.jpg

Until the next update,

Tom

• Like 1

Time for another update...

I had been a little concerned about the fairing for the rear turret, as this area of the fuselage is poorly represented in the ID kit.

The first job was to cut out the turret itself - here it is offered up against the plans and as you can see the shape is pretty close:

S1030617.jpg

However, when put in place the problems are clear - gaping holes and no sign of the distinctive fairing that holds it snugly in place on the real aircraft:

S1030624.jpg

My solution was simple: using 0.5mm plastic card I cut out a basic fairing - there is still a fair bit of shaping to be done at this point:

S1030622.jpg

This was then attached to the aperture and blended in with filler - I also added the smaller fairing for the pivot from sprue sanded to the correct shape. After some sanding this was the result:

S1030631.jpg

S1030633.jpg

And with the turret fitted now you can see the improvement (I hope!):

S1030637.jpg

Before priming I'll reinstate the missing panel lines. This is another headache out of the way... now what to tackle next?

Tom

• Like 6

Yes, good job on the tail turret, Tom! You make things seem simple (when I b****y well know they're not!).

Regards,

Jason

I find that its often more the thinking of a solution to a problem that takes the time, rather than the actual implementing of it.

Nice work Tom.

Martin