Wingnut Wings SE.5a finally finished

This was my entry to the WWI GB which I did not manage to get finished in time for the end of the GB. This is without doubt my favourite Allied fighter of WW1, they may not be very colourful but they look purposeful.

WIP thread is here up to a point, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966150-wnw-se5a/

Rigging is 2.5lb Maxima fishing line painted with Mr Metal colour stainless. Control wires are from elastic thread again painted with stainless. This is essentially straight from the box except for the rigging.

A big mistake to be building a WnW kit just as all their Christmas releases come out, I may have completed one but seem to have bought 5 more including a Felixstowe!

Andrew

Se5a13_zps8897fe31.jpg

Se5a15_zps7fee9b71.jpg

Se5a14_zpsc5289620.jpg

Se5a16_zps46c38399.jpg

Se5a17_zpscb5625b2.jpg

Se5a18_zpsbb7cc4cf.jpg

Se5a19_zps53578de9.jpg

• Like 20

Well that's a little stunner! Fabulous work and I echo the comments above whole-heartedly. Love the delicate mud staining on the lower wing/centre-section.

The more I see of these WNW models the more convinced I become that I must get one! Even though it's "not my scale" and "not my subject" - maybe it will be??

Thanks for showing.

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

Like that a lot. Lovely prop and rigging. Rib taping a bit too light for me on the top wing - but wow you have carried it through to the roundals aswell! That is a nice touch, one I shall try and remember for my next one.

cheers

Grant

• Like 1

Cor! That's a belter Andrew. Lovely job on your SE5a.

I would have bought one of these if they were easier to come by but thankfully they have proved illusive so far.

So many builds of WNW kits have me wanting to try one and this is no exception. Seeing your beautiful work makes me want one in my cabinet to go alongside the Camel I built a long time ago.

Great stuff.

Cheers.

Edit: one quick question.....what did you use for the turnbuckles please? I had a quick peek at your WIP but you did n't mention them. Gaspatch? Whatever they are they look super.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

Love the propeller - is that woodgrain decals? I could never get the one on my DH2 to look that good.

Thanks for all the comments. Actually the prop is just an undercoat of Tamiya dark yellow, a couple of sealing coats of Johnsons Klear and some Burnt Sienna/yellow ochre oil paint on top. All as per WnW tips on their webpages. Simple but effective.

Andrew

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments. Actually the prop is just an undercoat of Tamiya dark yellow, a couple of sealing coats of Johnsons Klear and some Burnt Sienna/yellow ochre oil paint on top. All as per WnW tips on their webpages. Simple but effective.

Andrew

Wow in that case its come out brilliantly! Great job!

• Like 1

Lovely stuff.

Did you make your own turnbuckles, or are they included in the kit?

BB

The turnbuckles are made from 0.2mm copper wire twisted round a small drill bit. The sleeves to pass the fishing line through are made from 0.5mm brass tube from Albion Alloys drilled out to an internal diameter of 0.4mm. In theory 0.14mm fishing line could pass through the original 0.3mm hole twice but in practice drilling it out to 0.4mm makes the whole exercise much easier. I much prefer to use fishing line for the rigging as opposed to elastic thread due to the extra strength it gives the model particularly the undercarriage. Before rigging the model was definitely wing down on one side but I was able to correct this by tensioning the undercarriage rigging to compensate.

Andrew