1/72 new tool Heinkel He-111P2 from Airfix in 2015

KoenL

If the kit's markings are based on the one at the Oslo-Gardermoen Airport Museum, it was brought down by a Skua, plus some AA damage if I recall...

That is seriously enticing box-art though.

The Special Hobby Skua is a really nice kit, you'd hardly believe it was a limited run apart from the resin engine and associated pipework which is a bit fiddly, but not difficult.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hei,

Skua L2896 (Green «A») is under slow rebuild in Bodø

They have recovered a number of Skua wrecks and have so far finished rebuilding the front cockpit section and the engine.

http://luftfartsmuseum.no/fly/blackburn-skua/

And yes, the Airfix model is based on the He 111P at Flysamlingen - Gardermoen and will have 5J+CN as one of the marking options.

A Skua would make a nice dogfight double for the Heinkel 111 - or a RAF or Norwegian Gladiator.

MVH

Knut Erik

• Like 1

Best of luck with it. I had two and got shot of them fairly sharpish.

Tah. Maybe I best move this on & try for a SH one, it won't enhance our chances of an Airfix one as much though. :(:)

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Do you mean CN?

I've no idea but they are certainly Black now in the museum!

thanks

Mike

Ah yes Mike, CN is it, the original side view still has them red.

Wonder what's the correct original colour, weren't the spinners following the colour of the first code behind the cross?

it's no biggie anyways.

Cheers

Martin

I couldn't tell you Martin, perhaps that's a question for the WW2 forum. Still if you did it with Black Spinners, no one could say you're wrong, as you could just say you modelled it as it appears now! (or least when the pics were taken in 2011)

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Still if you did it with Black Spinners

Unless it was deliberately painted by the crew or groundcrew, and making them black from the very dark blue green they left the factory in seems a waste of time, they would have been rlm70 not black. Propeller blades were also rlm70. on Me109E, Me110C He111 H and P, etc.

Merlin

From what I see in the latest Airfix mag, the glazing frames are very much larger, also panel trench lines, I can fill trenches but the glazing is a problem. Why Airfix, just why ? Please explain this policy ? We are not children but most of us are seeking realism. Blenheim is spoilt as such but He111 with all that glazing doesnt match pictures now, it has delicate FLAT panel lines, not semicircular prison bars. I also hope the nose glazing curves inwards as per real aircraft.

Merlin

I haven't seen the mag but the consensus on the forum from those who have seen the test shots was that it had very nice panel lines, definitely not trenches. Interesting to see it is now being accused of the same flaw as its biggest competitor, the Hasegawa tooling.

I haven't seen the mag but the consensus on the forum from those who have seen the test shots was that it had very nice panel lines, definitely not trenches. Interesting to see it is now being accused of the same flaw as its biggest competitor, the Hasegawa tooling.

People tend to forget, Airfix Magazine has a history of publishing builds of the 'flood every available crack with india ink' variety, and although the builds themselves are always very competent, the weathering would make the finest engraved Tamiya kit look like a Corgi die-cast. IMHO. It's been mentioned before.

Paul.

• Like 4

That's true, in fact I fell for this myself after seeing a test build of the C-47, which looked terrible in my opinion. However, in the hands of people who go a little easier on the wash it's a very nice kit.

• 3 weeks later...

People tend to forget, Airfix Magazine has a history of publishing builds of the 'flood every available crack with india ink' variety, and although the builds themselves are always very competent, the weathering would make the finest engraved Tamiya kit look like a Corgi die-cast. IMHO. It's been mentioned before.

Paul.

Yes, the Swift build sticks in my mind, with the reviewer gushing about the fine panel lines and then seemingly picking them out with a permanent marker pen.

Yes, the Swift build sticks in my mind, with the reviewer gushing about the fine panel lines and then seemingly picking them out with a permanent marker pen.

Yes, odd that. He's a good builder though, it's just that final step too far that puzzles me. I guess that once you've started down that route you get used to it, and perhaps cease to see it as starkly as it appears to those of us who don't do it.

Paul.