1/72 VC10 - Anigrand 101 Sqn 90th anniversary

G101

Hi everyone, first post and first attempt in over 25 years.

Maybe not the wisest move to go straight into resin and scratchbuilding but in for a penny.... (or over £100). Ive put the photos in this forum despite having a few additions to make such as a few aerials and static ducts.

The reason I went for this is that Ive just finished 10 years serving on the queen of the skies and wanted to put together a collection of all the types Ive been on, hence the huge stand. This one has taken over 6 months of tinkering and downright frustration, but Ive finally got to a stage where Im relatively content with her appearance.

P1020146.jpg

P1020141.jpg

P1020140.jpg

P1020139.jpg

I included the Gemini 1/400 version for a size comparison - she is a whopper.

Really enjoyed this build - I tend to think the shape is there or there abouts. The kit goes together well, with minimal filling to get good fuselage joins, the wings appeared bowed but when superglued together it seemed to straighten out . The kit itself needed quite a bit of work, moving the stators back, shaping the fridge pack intakes and shaping the engine cowlings. An interesting project and a nice paint scheme, only ruined on the real thing when skydrol leaked down the fin stripping all the black paint - i wasnt going to recreate that though.

First attempt in 25 years so any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Next on the bench is a 1/48 scale bulldog - heck of a size difference

• Like 5

OMG,......Thats a beauty! I didn`t even know that Anigrand had done a 1/72nd scale Vicky Ten and I`d thought at first that it was a Magna kit, oh how I wish that I could afford one of these! I served two spells at Brize (as a Squaddie, not Crab Air) and those VC-10 tankers were the loudest aircraft on the base by far, not surprising really considering the fuel load that they carried. In my day they were Hemp and Grey whilst 10 Sqn transports were Grey and White with Blue cheatlines but I do like the low viz grey scheme with the darker Grey cheatline and you`ve done a fantastic paintjob, whilst the base you`ve mounted the model on is pretty tasty too.

I did a 1/72nd scale vacform in the Hemp scheme years ago but yours has well and truly blown mine out of the water, what an awsome build,

Cheers,

Tony O

What a way to join, welcome indeed!!! I must admit, this is one of those kits I've been dying to see somone build, as the wife was not too keen on having a VC-10 as the centrepeice of our flat. (She was even less interested in the 1/72 C-5 Galaxy...)

Quite a tour-de-force and a truly lovley job with the paintwork! :worthy:

A. C.

Thanks very much for the warm welcome and kind comments.

I have to say that before committing glue and paint to resin - I scoured the pages on these forums for tips and tricks - these pages contain a wealth of info which helped hugely.

The fact that I have crawled over the aeroplane and taken quite a few reference photos has helped too.

105 was an awesome aircraft, sadly no longer on the fleet.

Few more photos

P1020131.jpg

P1020135.jpg

• Like 1

Superb model, and it must be quite impressive to look at! I periodically see the VC-10s in the circuit from Oxford, and they always stop me in my tracks. I'm very jealous of you for buying and building this pricey monster!

I too spent a fanstatic 9 years on what has to be the most elegant airliner every built.

I was on LSS B and AES (Base Hangar) between 1978 and 1989 working on both 10 Sqn and 101 Sqn aircraft as a sumpy.

This is a fine model, well built. I really want a 1/72 version of 103 from back in 1980, I have 3 1/72 versions to do now including 809.

What a great debut on here! You must be exceptionally proud of her and I agree with the previous comments about how elegant the VC-10 is. Beautiful!

Great build, I too have this model as well, luckily I only paid £80 for it, not started it yet mind you. As you have experience and close up connection with the VC-10 could you tell me what changes to the model you made, and would it be possible sharing some of the photos you have as the only VC-10 close to me for inspection is the one at Brooklands.

Also got to add yours is the first finished build of the Anigrand VC10 that I have seen any where, so you should be proud

Edited by kev67

Hi everyone and thank you again for such kind comments,

I dont have any close ups of the cockpit as I didnt go into too much detail in that area - I wasnt sure how much could be seen.

As for the panels, I used Alclad matt with a pastel wash. The paint was a nightmare and i learned the hard way about using different paints and coatings.

Kev67 - I'm more than happy to share the photos I used - just not sure what is the best way to go about getting to them to you - theres quite a few - is there a private message capability on this forum?