The Custom Built Nordic DC-9: DC-9-21 'SAS'

f521c7fff8662ed10f92567d6de366bf.jpg 

In 1965, Douglas delivered their very first DC-9 to its launch customer Delta Air Lines. Two years later, the -10 series were complemented by the longer -30 series. In the meantime Douglas and McDonnell merged, and the McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30 did not only feature a stretched fuselage but also an upgraded wing and engines. The wings were larger and were fitted with slats: movable panels on the wings' leading edges which, together with the flaps, make for better low-speed flying characteristics.    

Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), the common national airline of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, wanted to buy an airliner to operate on small and remote airports throughout Scandinavia. For operating on their short runways the DC-9-30 would have been perfect, but was too large for the expected demand. However, as the DC-9-10 needed higher speeds for take-off and landing, it was not suitable either. They convinced McDonnell Douglas to develop the -20 series: the short fuselage of the original -10's, but the upgraded wings and engines of the -30. Ten of these custom built DC-9's were built, all for SAS, and when SAS sold them years later most of these were bought by US low-cost-carrier ValuJet. 

The last operational DC-9-20 is owned by Skydive Perris from California, with which they gave skydivers the opportunity to imitate Dan Cooper by jumping off the rear entrance from the tail! By the looks of it, it seems the aircraft has been stored for a while now, ending the career of this rare DC-9 type. 

For this 1:144 model, I used the plastic injection Fly Models kit, which is known to have its accuracy issues. I decided not to dive into them too deep, and only fix the problems that were bothering me. The engine pylons were one of them. They are too narrow, and some people say they are too far forward. I corrected the width but did not move them. Widening the pylons was a pretty easy job which took me about half an hour.

72549c11c41bb7984f547defb07acadc.jpg 

c0226adfaef9f00aeefa1dc28c4692c1.jpg

I also improved the circular cabin outflow vent, which is typical for the DC-9. I used a leftover piece of photo etch for the valve door.

932d20255cd6dd311b80a1cc7e17d0dc.jpg 

On delivery, the SAS DC-9-20's did have a natural metal finish on the wings and belly. Due to corrosion issues, these areas were painted grey within several years. As I wanted to use this model as a practice project for painting natural metal, I did not chose the easy way of painting the aircraft grey. 

I used Inspire Chrome over various undergrounds, to give the metal surfaces some variation. Not the perfect result I hoped for, but it sure was a fun project! 

For the livery I used the excellent LN Decals screen printed set and the windows are by Authentic Airliners. 

a923abb6bbb97fbe51e7935aa4af52c1.jpg

65221bb014da34201bc0188e88063b24.jpg

Note the anti-gravel strip on the nose gear, another addition of mine! 

cc1467cd0f9ae86f11fd6d60af2d6f80.jpg

720ea1586504abe8a5edd2b52d5ff9bb.jpg

7099cb275a4b0775113a7888ff2dfcef.jpg

f64a79802eeb12ca89912a7128981225.jpg9ef3d7eb388d636643f0c23355e4c308.jpg

0362f0b0363296eb31b9d9f85346a7bc.jpg

6f38dc4efc808da3c4d70ae8d6e77d34.jpg

Greets,

Jelle

• Like 69

Beautiful!  This is one of my favorites.  The DC-9s were LOUD, and the -10s very peppy at takeoff.  I greatly preferred the cabin environment of the 727 over the DC-9, though, as it seemed the level of pressurization was higher and more consistent on Boeing jet.

• Like 1

Hello, 

I absolutely like this one. 

I know about the Fly DC9 inaccuracies, still yours turned perfectly. Beautiful model, very sharp, beautiful details. 

Having seen a bunch of your airliners recently, best summary is I like your modelling style.

Cheers 

Eric B. 

• Like 1

Hi Jelle,

Oh yes this is fantastic, my favourite of your recent batch of models!

Love the weathering and overall busyness of everything especially in the last pic!

Cheers,

Ian 

• Like 1

I really like it. I like the DC9 anyway. I  had a model of a Scandinavian airlines DC9. It was however one of those travel agent models. 

I worked in a jet engine maintenance organisation in the eighties and nineties as an Engineering clerk. The Engineers travelled the world. I  always asked them to buy me one of those little souvenir models you buy on board. So I  had a little collection. I never  flew anywhere myself. No Ryanair or Easyjet  then. 

Well one Engineer exceeded the brief and came back  from  Sweden with a  huge box containing an SAS DC9 as seen in travel agents. 

So you've brought back   memories. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Another beauty Jelle! it was well worth fixing the pylons, and the natural metal areas look very good.

Cheers

john

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the DC-9 in all of it's guises so I'm particularly pleased to see this one Jelle.

Nice little history lesson as well.  Thanks for posting.

Chris.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2024 at 21:24, Eric B. said:

Hello, 

I absolutely like this one. 

I know about the Fly DC9 inaccuracies, still yours turned perfectly. Beautiful model, very sharp, beautiful details. 

Having seen a bunch of your airliners recently, best summary is I like your modelling style.

Cheers 

Eric B. 

As I got several of those kits in my stash, I am very keen to hear or better read about those inaccuracies of them. I haven't heart about them yet. Is there a link to a build report? Or could you please list them for me? Thanks in advance,

Norbert

Edited by NorbertBu

On 2/11/2024 at 10:02 PM, NorbertBu said:

As I got several of those kits in my stash, I am very keen to hear or better read about those inaccuracies of them. I haven't heart about them yet. Is there a link to a build report? Or could you please list them for me? Thanks in advance,

Norbert

Hi Norbert,

This thread on Airlinercafe might be helpful! 

https://airlinercafe.com/forums/topic/dc-9-comparison-airfix-vs-fly-vs-eastern-express/ 

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:02 PM, NorbertBu said:

Norbert

Hello Norbert, 

Sorry I did not see your query earlier.

I am currently building a Fly DC9-30 myself and from what I read from Jelle report I think I more or loss followed the same route as his to fix some of the kit issues.

... and from the reply he provided to the Airlinercafe thread + link I think we may well have the exact same source of information.

Regards

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jelle! 

This little beauty gets a WOW! Very very nicely done. It is always such a pleasure to see the old classics here, and most especially when one is done as well as yours. Fine work capturing the accuracy and details of the real airplane. You’ve made this one really stand out with excellent attention, care, and quality. Love the old SAS livery; it truly brought out the dignity of the classic airliners. Well done! :like:

• Like 1