1/72 - I.A.R. 80/81 Romanian Fighter family by IBG Models - box art+test sprues & build - first release in Spring 2024

Homebee

IBG Models is to release a family of 1/72nd Industria Aeronautică Română I.A.R. 80/81 kits from Spring 2024 - First boxing ref. 72564

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ibgmodels/posts/pfbid02H2TRpbKhtQ1nmiwKRn5qYHxZeprb5Qz4fqu8Bubad5Z2oBTYV2WL4fyYboo8WLr6l

Brand New from IBG Models! 1/72 scale I.A.R. 80/81 Romanian Fighter family - first kits coming out already this spring!

421854587-372626145377603-14921662889028

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - I.A.R. 80/81 Romanian Fighter family by IBG Models - box art - first release in Spring 2024

Nice. Recently I gave in an bought the 1/48th HB kit, so of course this would be appearing soon 🤣 Anyway I'll probably get one of these as well.

• Like 1

The Formaplane built up nicely.  As did the Pegasus.  I've yet to start the AModel 2-seater.  The IAR 80 has been appearing in model catalogues for many years, I certainly don't see it as a high risk offering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The logical next step in their P-11/P-24 range?

In theory yes, because it mostly inherited a PZL P.24 tail. I doubt it saved them cost.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Botan said:

In theory yes, because it mostly inherited a PZL P.24 tail. I doubt it saved them cost.

The myth of using the tail from the P.24 is strong, but has little to do with reality. The fuselage behind the cockpit, as Radu Brinzan writes: 'was based on the similar fuselage section of the PZL P.11 or P.24 (...) the Romanian version was much modified and strengthened'. So, as you write, there is no room for cost savings here.

Both P.11/P.24 family and IAR80/81 family are completely separate projects, drawn by different authors and have nothing in common.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That can be read in different ways.  Yes, it was modified and strengthened.  This is hardly surprising given the change to a low wing.  It still followed on the PZL line.  I never made any claims to it being somehow cheaper.

• Like 1

Finally a new tooling of this interesting aircraft in 1/72.

Much looking forward to this release!

I've tried myself on the Amodel/SovaM kit twice, both attempts ended up in the bin - even though I consider myself an 'experienced modeler' I just couldn't make things fit.

I hope IBG will present a clever solution for the antenna mast which goes through the clear part (no provision for this on the Amodel/SovaM kit).

• Like 3

Finally some of the manufacturers fills this big gap 👍. I am glad it is IBG and looking forward to get at least two kits to add it besides old MPM in my display cabinet.

Edited by David Koktavý