Really???

GrahamS

So, just watching Tipping Point (yeah, I know….) and the question was which US President announced the end of the Cold War in 1989?

The contestant said “I should know this, I did A’ level history. I’m torn between two - JFK or Abraham Lincoln”……..

Her occupation? Teacher.

As Fraser would say, we’re doomed.

Graham

• Like 1
  • Haha 14
  • Sad 11

21 hours ago, GrahamS said:

So, just watching Tipping Point (yeah, I know….) and the question was which US President announced the end of the Cold War in 1989?

The contestant said “I should know this, I did A’ level history. I’m torn between two - JFK or Abraham Lincoln”……..

Her occupation? Teacher.

As Fraser would say, we’re doomed.

Graham

I've just sat and watched that episode, and her lack of knowledge didn't end there. There was a question about the river Tana, which flows into the Indian Ocean. It's the longest river in which country. She thought that it would be somewhere in West Africa. Which flows into the Indian Ocean.......from West Africa!! Really?? I just hope that she doesn't teach geography.

I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the staffroom the next day.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I've just sat and watched that episode, and her lack of knowledge didn't end there. There was a question about the river Tana, which flows into the Indian Ocean. It's the longest river in which country. She thought that it would be somewhere in West Africa. Which flows into the Indian Ocean.......from West Africa!! Really?? I just hope that she doesn't teach geography.

I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the staffroom the next day.

John.

You're assuming, then, that the other teachers would have known the correct answers, aren't you?  That might be quite a large assumption.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

If it's not University Challenge or Only Connect, I'm not interested ... unless of course it's Richard Osman's House of Games. The Where is Kazakhstan? round tends to show how poor the average celeb is at geography.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Looks like the BBC are using that 14 year old to write their headlines again. Splashed across the screen this morning on Breakfast; "Fuel Prise Rise". Priceless!.

It gets worserer every day mate😜

Me and the Colonial were oot and aboot (that's a clue to her nationality) earlier. In the local market we passed a sandwich stall advertising a Sausage and Criminalised Onion creation. When pointed out, the young lady behind the stall asked what was wrong with the sign.

In another store there is a sign which makes me howl with laughter, but the store people just shrug and can't see what's wrong. It reads DOG CHUNKS IN GRAVY! Hmmm, wonder what flavour dog they used?

The last one was spotted in a local shop window. It claims "BUFFY'S CATERED FOR". When I pointed out that it should be BUFFETS, I was told, ain't that how you spell it then?

One rests one's case and can I please book a ticket to another planet?

Regards

Pete

• Haha 11

On 9/20/2023 at 9:58 PM, klr said:

If it's not University Challenge or Only Connect, I'm not interested ... unless of course it's Richard Osman's House of Games. The Where is Kazakhstan? round tends to show how poor the average celeb is at geography.

Case in point: This round came up today, and one of the questions was to locate (on a map of the USA) the highest point in the Appalachian Mountains.

The closest guess - and therefore the winner - was on the Californian coast. The next closest was in Washington State. The other two were in Alasksa 😲

I wouldn't have known the correct answer myself, but I'd have taken a safe guess in say, West Virginia, which would have been close enough (it's in North Carolina).

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Looks like the BBC are using that 14 year old to write their headlines again. Splashed across the screen this morning on Breakfast; "Fuel Prise Rise". Priceless!.

Obvously the version of word they use doesn't include a spillchucker.

still our place can do better, IT @ corporate level enrole everone on a 'cyber security' (online) course, happens twice yearly & nothing changes thereby waisting everyones productive time. Only this time when the course opens we're presented with two options, continue or congratulations you have successfully comleted the course print certificate.  If I find out who reported that as a problem ...

Oh and as its diversity month I will be asking why there's no option to take it in broad yorkshire as Taiwanese, French, German, Japanese, american English are of no use to me.

• Haha 6