1/48 - Westland Sea King HAS.1/HAS.5/HU.5 by Airfix - box art+test build - release Summer 2023

wadeocu

I must find something wrong, :undecided:  I must find something wrong with that kit, :hmmm:  I really MUST find something wrong with that kit. :analintruder:

Otherwise, I'll have to save up and buy all five versions! :frantic:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

38 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I must find something wrong, :undecided:  I must find something wrong with that kit, :hmmm:  I MUST find something wrong with that kit. :analintruder:

Mike

Careful, Mike. Your red/orange marker pens will dry out from lack of use if you don't spot something soon. 😉

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Mike its obvious whats wrong its a pinger🤮

But as I have said on a number of youtube channels you can always make a Mk6 CR...nice and green.

TBH I can see me making a pinger of the SCOTTISH 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Squadron ..which sadly eluded me in my naval career 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Des said:

I imagine that there will be sufficient commercial interest for them to release decals but If they do not kit option C for XV666  provides a good start for a late service Gannet SAR Flight  XV699 which carried the codes 823/23 and all of the titles shown on the kit decal sheet , the 771 NAS Ace of Clubs on the starboard nose but none to port , 'PW' Codes on the tail would be required for 2009 but were missing in late 2011 (replacement tail unit possibly) , the 771 Ace on the nose avionics panel was replaced by a Saltire  (in 1/72 I used one from a Modeldecal sheet for a 'grey' 151 Sqn. Hawk so I imagine the same idea would work in 1/48) the major issue would be the lack of the large Ace of Clubs covering a large part of the undersides carried by XV699 during that time.     

Other options without any of the 771 NAS Aces during the same period such as XZ920/707/07 with PW codes and nose Saltire follow roughly the same pattern using the various titles from the kit decals but would require numbers from generic sheets.

Thanks for this Des. I intend to have an HMS Gannet machine as (one of) my first builds of this kit.  I was slightly disappointed when I heard that all four options in the kit are XV666 - which just means more work sourcing additional numbers, but if XV669 was at Gannet, problem solved !

OK - that is my moan about the kit = Airfix are takingthe piddle using just one serial throughout and especially one which provides virtually no alternate options.  There you go  - a really trivial moan !  (Though it is surprising how often we get doubled numbers in kits. Lack of thought there, chaps. )

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, marky sparky said:

The moaners remind me of the 'Competitive Dad on the Fast Show T.V. series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2x_DI7tzNQ

😆😆😆😆

Blimey you are right there are some people on here who need a plumber the amount of dripping they are doing ..yawn 

As for rivets well yes it was covered in various types of rivets ....come on grubbers I'll start you 🍒 max....

Honestly it isnt the forth road bridge and until one sees it in the flesh one can reserve judgement.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

If I seem over critical then I apologise, rivet issue aside this does look to be a very good model and when I first heard of it I was very excited at the prospect of a proper Westland Sea King in 1/48 straight out of the box, and I may yet order one as it will still be better (and cheaper) than the old Hasegawa one and there is a lot to this model that is way better.

I think the choice of following the career of one machine at 4 different points in it's life is inspired and shows how important the Sea King has been to the UK.

🇺🇦

You are not over critical 😉 my comment is only about those who whine about everything and not being constructive at all!

I am a rivetcounter as well !

Therefore I have 7 Revell 1/72 seakings amassed by the years and they have their own pitfalls when you make a specific version like no strengthening plates on the tail !

Try to fix that with those tiny rivets on it 🥴 so this 1/48 is high on my list now!

Takes a bit more room but hey 🤪

cheers, Jan

• Like 3

Very shrewd of Airfix, not the subject but of announcing in July, just ahead of the school holidays so the brand gets more attention than it would have if the Sea King was announced with the rest of the range in the Winter, this way interest is kept in the brand for far longer than it would have been if all the releases were announced together, could be the sign of things to come..

Do like a Sea King, bought the Hasegawa kit years ago and basically forgot about it, if I'd known they were going for such prices I'd sold mine already! Need to get into my stash so the old kits I have (Jaguar 1/48 comes to mind) aren't redone and so ruin my pension fund lol... Already been burnt with Matchbox Victor 

• Like 2

If nothing else, the presentation was very well done and actually made me feel like a kid again! I thank Airfix for the passion. We now have 2 Kings!

I may do what @Scooby is thinking about. I have lived in the same location for over 40 years and have had “Sea Things” over my house hundreds of times. 443 Squadron CH-124 #17 in its final flight RCN scheme would be my choice.
The yellow scheme of the Sea King used in the presentation would have been nice, kind of surprised it’s not an option. The drilled out rivets aren’t as much of a problem as most modellers think, I am dealing with this on the 1/24 Mk.IX Spitfire.
One thing that I noticed was the rotor blades aren’t “drooped” as in the Hasegawa kit. In the presentation some are warped upwards! It’s a very easy fix, using a large glass jar, taping the blades at an angle against the outside and using very hot water (not boiling) fill the jar and let it cool. The blades come off perfectly drooped and even have a bit of twist in the pitch. I used this on a 1/72 Sea Stallion with great success. The new Airfix Sea King looks like a lot of fun to work with, I’m enjoying the Spitfires immensely.

I really like the approach Airfix is taking, it’s like Geritol for us old codgers. The value in the box is well worth the very reasonable price.

Well done chaps!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

The value in the box is well worth the very reasonable price.

I bet we won't see them at that price for long, look what happened with their 1:72 Phantoms and Bucc.

Mike

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

The yellow scheme of the Sea King used in the presentation would have been nice, kind of surprised it’s not an option.

I think the required bits are there in the box, just needs the appropriate decals. It must be on the cards for a future release... after all, there are connections in high places... 😉

Rich

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RichG said:

I think the required bits are there in the box, just needs the appropriate decals. It must be on the cards for a future release... after all, there are connections in high places... 😉

You mean our @Mike

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I bet we won't see them at that price for long, look what happened with their 1:72 Phantoms and Bucc.

Mike

BTW, I see the Hasegawa kit for $32 Cdn. from a couple of Japanese online shops! It is a 2023 rerelease from Hasegawa, so the eBay exorbitantly priced kits are going to collect dust now. On Scalemates if you click on the previous release, many shops come up, the 2023 rerelease shows one shop out of stock. I purchased 3 Airfix Spitfires, 2 for $150 each Cdn. the final one was $129. those prices were landed, tax and shipping included. Let’s hope we see the same for the Sea King. 🤞

Cheers

Jeff

1 hour ago, RichG said:

Rich

Never mind the 'connections in high places' - those maintainers who have been showing Airfix the details of the Sea King are working with an HAR3, so they will expect it !  

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RichG said:

Rich

spacer.png

Think will go with foreign cabs at a later date    otherwise an all crab kit 3/3A you know yellow ,yellow and er yellow...suppose there is Falklands grey.  Which I think looks quite fetching....wash my mouth out

• Haha 2