Guatemalan P-51D Mustang - a "Last Legs Pony"

As part of my "Last Legs Ponies" project I am modelling American World War 2-era fighters that ended their services lives in Caribbean air forces. I will be representing 12 nations total, and here is the fifth, a P-51D Mustang in Fuerza Aérea Guatemalteca markings. The kit is Airfix and the decals are from Aztec. 

y4mwkCJ5qFnBWdYC3NWZJv4aeXEPkBmRxi8Wfqlh

More to follow . . .

• Like 40

Nicely done and I’m slowly taking a real liking to all these ‘slightly less common’ but very exotic schemes. This Pony looks great in those colours. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2

Sorry, got redirected elsewhere and couldn't finish the original post... Here are more photos:

y4m8dEfDwmm7yHPqHkut5teLe2nY44zmRAkTra0w

y4mX-Lnuz07ZWCulWq8JxJGO-Voqz4fUqqMaTHUD

y4m5MjGi5PUwxHrgC-a0WLuu9Hem6bSBvcHvNycN

y4mpzBYWUIDjGx7KYm66tW3Cp3qgvaO8XrHx-fqx

This is the lovely photo of the original--one of the best reference photos I've ever had to work with!

y4mt29LtY8pFf6wnib3KPoWFRo9dAZVDJPINEXrw

And here are the four ponies (all P-51Ds) of the collection: Costa Rica (Airfix), Dominican Republic (Tamiya), Guatemala, and Haiti (Airfx).

y4mCWRMYBB6ReOdNRPcFfXMm23j7w2FW4DwHMaaU

I have also built a Nicaraguan P-38, and here she is with Dominican Republic and Costa Rica:

y4mflUzclQer8HeEOcDQmiGmgZKUqsR7twsuUACt

That's the five I've built so far. Now the project shifts away from Mustangs and to P-47 Thunderbolts (Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Cuba), a P-39 (USAAF based in Curacao), a P-63 (Honduras), and a FG 1D (El Salvador). Stay tuned!

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 20

I really am enjoying your foray into the South/Central American Mustangs.  Each new addition sports a unique and quite interesting style of color scheme.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Hopesdaddy@Rabbit Leader@Winded Penguin@AliGauld@Keeff@RidgeRunner@Corsairfoxfouruncle@Ventsislav Gramatski@2996 Victor@Vultures1 @georgeusa for the kind comments!

Just thought I would link to the other Mustang RFIs here:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This has come up wonderfully well. I had some doubts with the stronger shades you used against that reference shot but they work very well to my eyes & convey the look of the original well. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...