1/48 - Lockheed-Martin F-35A & B Lightning II by Tamiya - released

Homebee

On 4/23/2023 at 9:57 AM, jpk said:

No love for the F-35C in 1/48 except the Kitty Hawk kit.

From a USA citizen I am a little bit surprised of your comment jpk.

a.

The Kittyhawk kit is really not up to the 2023 very high-quality standard of the international aircraft kit industry.  

b.

To this date, the US Navy will currently receive 273 x F-35C and the US Marine Corps will received 67 x F-35C in

addition to their planned 353 x F-35B.

I bet that more F-35C could be added to these current orders.

The potential market of an eventual Tamiya 1/48 scale F-35C is most probably very high.

C.

By the way, I am 68 yo, plastic aircraft modeller for 55 years (85 % 1/48 scale) and Flight Simulator pilot for 20 years.

Then, I am not only making 1/48 scale kits but I am also flying them on PC currently by the Microsoft Flight Simulator

MSFS 2020 software.

And I am even already flying the F-35A, F-35B and F-35C on MSFS 2020.

😎

SharkOwl from Canada

Take a look here about the F-35C on MSFS 2020 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rbJBgRf26s

Edited by SharkOwl

9 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

a.

The Kittyhawk kit is really not up to the 2023 very high-quality standard of the international aircraft kit industry.  

b.

To this date, the US Navy will currently receive 273 x F-35C and the US Marine Corps will received 67 x F-35C in

The potential market of an eventual Tamiya 1/48 scale F-35C is most probably very high.

C.

By the way, I am 68 yo, plastic aircraft modeller for 55 years (85 % 1/48 scale) and Flight Simulator pilot for 20 years.

Then, I am not only making 1/48 scale kits but I am also flying them on PC currently by the Microsoft Flight Simulator

MSFS 2020 software.

😎

SharkOwl from Canada

He just means no model manufacturer appears to be showing any interest in making a model of the C (unlike the A and B). KH are the only company to attempt it and there are none announced.

Jon

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

He just means no model manufacturer appears to be showing any interest in making a model of the C (unlike the A and B). KH are the only company to attempt it and there are none announced.

Jon

Correct Jon.

• Like 2

It will come. Right now, the main type in use is A and B, so C will follow. The Italeri kit already has the C-gunpod in the existing sprue. (yes, slight difference between the B and C) 

19 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

a.

b.

C.

MSFS 2020 software.

😎

SharkOwl from Canada

Tamiya is not known for acting logically......

Or we'd have multiple versions of their greatest hits by now....

• Like 3

On 23/04/2023 at 21:17, ElectroSoldier said:

Have they?
I know they released the 1:72 scale model, but I wasnt aware that they released the 1:48th scale model yet.

Yes, I don't think they have released the 1:48. They did the 1:32 as well, so perhaps only a matter of time if they don't plan their own boxing of the B variant.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:07 AM, Curt B said:

Well, as much as I absolutely HATE the F-35 due to it being what I think is the most homely/ugly modern fighter aircraft, if the build reviews end up verifying that it builds up as perfectly as all the other recent 1/48 Tamiya airplane kits, I'll have no choice but to get this model!  As I'm sure everyone here knows that even older Tamiya kits are just amazingly fabulous to build, like their 1/48 He217 A-7 Uhu, P-47, and so many others.  While Tamiya may not have the ultimate in detail, and they have the unfortunate reputation of less than great decals, and almost no planes include seat belts/harnesses, these are minor nitpicking issues more than made up for with stellar fit and engineering.  No reason to expect the F-35A will be anything different!

Just thank your lucky stars that the US did not select the Boeing alternative.....NOW that was an ugly airplane

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 7:39 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

I was under the impression Tamiya would be releasing the Italeri F-35B in their own box.

I guess that shouldn't be ruled out, but if they have gone to the expense of developing the majority of the components required for a "B", then why not follow that route instead of paying another manufacturer for tooling/royalties?

I guess time will tell?

Edited by hairystick
Edit for rather odd double-post...

On 25/04/2023 at 20:56, Tiger331 said:

Just thank your lucky stars that the US did not select the Boeing alternative.....NOW that was an ugly airplane

Apples vs oranges...
Personally I believe that X-32 was really cool airplane, and later X/F-32 redesign featuring more traditional airframe layout looks WAY better than Lightning.

It's what-if of course, but still showing how great this thing could be:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/20971/this-is-what-a-boeing-f-32-wouldve-looked-like-if-lockheed-lost-the-jsf-competition

Edited by koho
  • Like 1

With those looks, the F/X-32 could have only passed as a replacement for A-7, but that's not what was asked for. It's even fatter than the F-35 which is already too draggy thanks to the F-35B duct fan design..

IMHO, they should have copied the Super Hornet sales pitch and promise vast commonality while making the F-35A/C rather different (somewhat larger and slimmer) and thus better optimized for its role (i.e. less draggy and thus faster and with longer range, plus more internal storage and fuel).

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2023 at 11:42, Dudikoff said:

With those looks, the F/X-32 could have only passed as a replacement for A-7, but that's not what was asked for. It's even fatter than the F-35 which is already too draggy thanks to the F-35B duct fan design..

IMHO, they should have copied the Super Hornet sales pitch and promise vast commonality while making the F-35A/C rather different (somewhat larger and slimmer) and thus better optimized for its role (i.e. less draggy and thus faster and with longer range, plus more internal storage and fuel).

But for a tiny moment the talk was about the aesthetics. Reception of which is subjective ;).

Edited by koho

• 4 weeks later...

Dedicated cockpit resin set in design by Reskit

Source: https://www.facebook.com/reskit.official/posts/pfbid0h1DYYJDdcY7EzyHtoAjEXgfUKFc8gXeXvi3QycEwpPq6kbYmQkWFUACEDj41y9ZJl

COMING SOON!

Introducing the F-35A "Lightning II" cockpit with canopy FRAME for Tamiya kit (1/48).

Choose from two exciting editions: standard edition and edition with 3D decals.

Get ready to enhance your model with exceptional cockpit details. Stay tuned for updates and be the first to own this incredible addition to your collection!

349170697-630948355294359-67623138882008

349654227-1691754744595465-1030961146712

349192979-1321185835159868-4961917777595

349322149-6940021962678893-3977172959714

V.P.

• Like 5

And Eduard too

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/pfbid0S6i9hDNnUpt1n3Nb9NhMBC8RJK6KdvqzzvRFCzU1iv7KFAhNK3UUscAraGyjXrc5l

New item in our Brassin PRINT range, 1/48 scale cockpit designed for Tamiya’s F-35A kit (cat. no. 648859).

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/f-35a-cockpit-print-1-48.html

347387097-629070782596897-76505646831782

V.P.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

By the way friends !

Random toughts.

I invite you to check the superb close-up photos taken by Dutch ‘’Top Gun’’ Aviation Photograph Peter Steehouwer

last April on the ''Mach Loop'' in Wales Uk.

We have here 20 close-up photos of Lakenheat Uk based Usaf F-35A low level flying.

My question about these real 1/1 scale F-35A :

Where are the ram panels ?

😎

SharkOwl

Take a look here :

https://www.steehouwer.com/galleries/2023/wales-lfa7-april-2023-uk/

6 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

My question about these real 1/1 scale F-35A :

Where are the ram panels ?

😎

SharkOwl

The F-35's a bit too modern for my tastes but did I read somewhere that some smart Alec came up with the idea of RAM tape that's now the same colour as the aircraft grey hence they no longer stand out quite like they did. They're still there though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, IT_Man said:

B variant (#61125) due November 2023:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02bdFqDge3cbiN1WjGNyoH3E4wxQ83vfG8jhV5pUv4VvDBm6s6fYisLa76iYbQxQufl&id=100063450176396

(Not seen it mentioned elsewhere but they're normally a reliable source!)

Hope it's not the Italeri kit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Hope it's not the Italeri kit.

Could well be, although I think if it's a re-box they give it a different code (37xxx), at least for the 48th stuff.

That said, in 1:72 they mix them in with the regular 607xx type numbers so who knows!

Edited by IT_Man