Magic Mustang

Cookenbacher

Last month included a dream trip to England and with the Mighty @Procopius and @Navy Bird, hosted by the ever generous @CedB, where one of the many highlights was a visit to Scale Model World in Telford, where we got to meet many fellow Britmodellers, some of the finest folks on the planet. While at Telford @rob85 gave me this little gem:

tnRv4uJg_o.jpg

This isn't any normal Revell Mustang box, for it magically contained:

QJnIAaHr_o.jpg

1/72 Airfix Mustang sprues along with the Revell "Cookie" decals.

Now, I haven't tried putting any other Revell sprues in the box to see if they magically turn into Airfix sprues, but I assume that would have to be the case. Think of the possibilities, thanks Rob!

• Like 23
  • Haha 5

Just now, Stew Dapple said:

Anyway what're you guys doing up so late? :D 

My mother in law is sleeping on the futon just outside my study, and I'm scared that if I go out to go up to bed or brush my teeth, she'll yell at me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Cookie! Your back to building! And it’s your name sake.

currently there are some pretty magic refills for the Revell box at lidl but I don’t know if they do that over the pond?! (Practically free at £4.99 I i topped up with 3 or 4) 

hope your well and I’m looking forward to the build.

Rob

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 10:51 AM, gingerbob said:

I'm boycotting this thread because I wasn't invited on the expedition.  😭

It was already pretty crowded in the T-Roc as it was, but we're trying to get Ced to come over to the 'states either next year or in 2022.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm in for this one. Have just built two 1/72 Mustangs for Telford, one Airfix and one Italeri. Watch for sink marks around the inner LE of the main wing. Mine had them. I'll do an RFI when I get around to it!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies everybody, it's definitely good to be back at the (makeshift-temporary) bench.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:51 AM, gingerbob said:

I'm boycotting this thread because I wasn't invited on the expedition.  😭

There will be future expeditions I'm sure, and we all hope to see you!

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm in for this one. Have just built two 1/72 Mustangs for Telford, one Airfix and one Italeri. Watch for sink marks around the inner LE of the main wing. Mine had them. I'll do an RFI when I get around to it!

Thanks Terry, there are shallow sink marks alright, must come up with a plan. Looking forward to seeing your Mustangs in RFI.

I'm an admitted "not a cockpit guy", so here it is out of box with a little green paint. It's a little glossy, as I forgot to buy any matt varnish.

f65Btq5U_o.jpg

I found that the trick to the Airfix control column is to have some plastic stock on hand that's about the right size and make a new one from that, because there is no way to remove it from the sprues in one piece.

Fuselage closed up.

9To4pB2r_o.jpg

I filled in what I hope are the proper panel lines on the wings with a little Perfect Plastic Putty.

e517NHF9_o.jpg

And then covered that with some acrylic Yellow ZInc Chromate that will hopefully sand smooth.

1uCEaI3b_o.jpg

Sorry for the dark pics, it's just my phone and a coffee table in my (very generous) Aunt and Uncle's basement. My modelling supplies remain in storage in New Mexico.

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'm an admitted "not a cockpit guy", so here it is out of box with a little green paint. It's a little glossy, as I forgot to buy any matt varnish.

That’s a nice looking cockpit. Sometimes browsing through the pages of Britmodeller, I become a little daunted by the displays of scratch building and weathering enhancements some people employ in their cockpit building, and which is way beyond my meagre skills. Seeing a cockpit like this one, which has been produced with only the skilful application of paint and glue, gives me hope that some day I might be able to produce something like it so thanks for the encouragement!

Craig. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I neglected to fill the wing panel lines, but I understand the real thing had that done. It was pointed out to me post build. 🙄

Terry

Dont beat yourself up on that count, Terry. Post-war (as yours were) Mustangs came out of depot maintenance and went to friendly air forces without puttied wings, as far as I know. Now I've said I'll be corrected ;). 

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I neglected to fill the wing panel lines, but I understand the real thing had that done. It was pointed out to me post build. 🙄

Isn't it always the way? I have a couple non-puttied winged Mustangs on my shelf as well - nobody's noticed.

6 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That’s a nice looking cockpit. Sometimes browsing through the pages of Britmodeller, I become a little daunted by the displays of scratch building and weathering enhancements some people employ in their cockpit building, and which is way beyond my meagre skills. Seeing a cockpit like this one, which has been produced with only the skilful application of paint and glue, gives me hope that some day I might be able to produce something like it so thanks for the encouragement!

Craig. 

Thanks for the kind comment Craig. If, after you have a couple more builds behind you, you set your detailing sights higher than the effort above, I'll take no offence!

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone.

I got a little bit more done today: sanded the filled panel lines in the wing and painted the wheel wells - it's Vallejo Metal Color and it brushed nicely over a matt acrylic base coat.

9zlOYtt6_o.jpg

I left the main spar in Yellow Zinc Chromate, apparently Airfix is the only 1/72 manufacturer to get the spar location correct. I'm not too worried about the injector pin marks on the lower wing as they'll be in the dark as soon as it's closed up. However I had to fill the ones on the upper wing bays.

Wings attached - I have to say that even with all the good things I've heard about this kit, it has exceeded expectations. I'd compare it to the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire 22 for elegance and ease of build.

7BtR6JtC_o.jpg

Oh, and added some masking tape seat harnesses.

Main gear bays with YZC spar.

x9McyNCo_o.jpg

• Like 14