New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Now, I'm curious if people who bought the Vulcan when it was 40 quid ( :Pwould inspect the tree where the current parts are located.

If it was gated off/cut off, then this flaw was already present on the kit when it was designed 5 years ago.

• Like 2

On 16/09/2023 at 01:09, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Actually Id like that option on a lot of builds. I have 44 years of collected decals in my files. If it makes modern kits cheaper Im all for it. 

Eduard do "overtrees" sets and Special Hobby do "simple kits".  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Now, I'm curious if people who bought the Vulcan when it was 40 quid ( :Pwould inspect the tree where the current parts are located.

If it was gated off/cut off, then this flaw was already present on the kit when it was designed 5 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it was gated off

18 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Eduard do "overtrees" sets and Special Hobby do "simple kits".  :thumbsup:

Yes Ive bought many of the Eduard kits through Sprue Brothers here in the stares. However the Special hobby ones are only available from them direct last I checked. Shipping from Europe to the U.S. is too pricey for me on my £490.00/$612.00 a month stipend. I just wish all manufacturer's had an option like this as it would be a lot easier for me.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 9/15/2023 at 9:01 PM, cherisy said:

Being cynical does anyone think the coin they are giving away as part of the bundle is an afterthought  andc a smoke screen once they realised the mistake with the kit ?. 

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting where the first kit showed up for inspection.

Who says there was a meeting? Or at least one where competent oversight was exercised? 😬

I only found out a few days ago about this release. When I saw the amount of recent posts on this thread, I knew that something was very likely not as it should be. Yes, the errors can be worked around, including the featureless ECM pod and the undersize Shrike fins. But why pay out for extras (or dip into precious spares, or cannibalise other kits) for something that should have been correct out of the box?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, klr said:

Who says there was a meeting? Or at least one where competent oversight was exercised? 😬

I only found out a few days ago about this release. When I saw the amount of recent posts on this thread, I knew that something was very likely not as it should be. Yes, the errors can be worked around, including the featureless ECM pod and the undersize Shrike fins. But why pay out for extras (or dip into precious spares, or cannibalise other kits) for something that should have been correct out of the box?

Exactly 👍

On 9/14/2023 at 11:01 PM, tony.t said:

SleeperService, is that Aerocraft? If so, that's great news. I am assuming this might correct the suggested over-compressed oleos (?) Or a similar firm (as long as it's not SAC).

I seldom buy 1/72 but the Vulcan was a must-have in the absence of a 1/48 edition. 

Tony 

I don't know of any firm plans but several sources have been mentioned. Aerocraft would be my favourite, I've got several of their sets and they are all vast improvements over the kit item in detail, strength, or actually fitting properly. I'm fine with spending money when needed and the time saved by not making new parts myself is worth the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now in stock at Hannants, interesting blurb, re: faithfully recreate!!:

Includes Shrike Missiles and ECM equipment, allowing you to faithfully recreate the Avro Vulcan B.2 that conducted in the famous Black Buck raids.

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, IT_Man said:

Now in stock at Hannants, interesting blurb, re: faithfully recreate!!:

Includes Shrike Missiles and ECM equipment, allowing you to faithfully recreate the Avro Vulcan B.2 that conducted in the famous Black Buck raids.

At risk of being cynical, isn't the key phrase there "allowing you"? Of course a bar of soap and a penknife would also meet that standard 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, NavyWessex said:

A correction sheet has been posted over on Facebook which appears to originate from Airfix themselves...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/525940410763387/permalink/7051873661503330/

This was me. I contacted Airfix CS, and they were in proces of issuing a correction sheet, which i got sent via email when on phone to them and have shared with those that have this boxing. 

As ive said elsewhere, its and amateurish mistake that an amateur can fix and only needs 'basic' modelling skills to do so.  The fact that you need to cut away large sections for the blue steel boxing shoudlnt be an issue for any modeller.

It does amaze me of the vitirol on here and elsewhere  including social media for a mistake made 5 years ago with limited information. Also have to factor in that key QA and or personnel may not have been in place which is in place today.  We all agree that it should have been picked up and not released, however whats to say it wasnt and they're letting it run its course. We are not in the meetings or board room or email chain discussions confirming when this was picked up and what the company should to do about it.

There is a simple fix avaliable and those feel that they cant do this, then perhaps they need to find another 'hobby'. Airfix will offer a refund if you dont want the kit and those that dont have it, dont purchase it.

Edited by Hardtarget
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Result! 

But they still got it a little bit wrong! Can't possibly be mounted correctly if the covers for the attachments the pylon hung from are still there...

Ive done exactly that, from the commentor in my post on my current build. However to be sure email Airfix that amendment. Share the issue with them.

18 hours ago, Hardtarget said:

Ive done exactly that, from the commentor in my post on my current build. However to be sure email Airfix that amendment. Share the issue with them.

Already got in contact. Should be a simple fix to the amended instructions.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 10:54 AM, Graham Boak said:

Anything more than 17/6 is clearly extortionate - or am I just not up to current prices?

Ah, those were the days, when there were 240d in a pound, a florin was two shillings, and sovereigns were £1 coins made of real gold.

7 hours ago, One 48 said:

Wasn't there word of an Airfix 1/48 Vulcan at one point, or was it just a tease? It would be a large model I know, but I'd buy one for sure.

Airfix had a built-up Aeroclub 1/48 Vulcan on their stand at Telford one year but it was just a tease. There’s more chance of IKEA doing one and selling it as a coffee table.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

. . .and you could buy your kits from Woolworths!

There were Woolworths to buy from.......

6 hours ago, IT_Man said:

I'm no expert, but I wonder if they were to "correct" it for future issues, providing 3D printed parts might be more cost effective?

I doubt the beancounters will go with that....   as has be stated many times,  regular readers and posters on forums who care make up a tiny minority of Airfix customer base, especially in the UK. 

You can get a far better idea of how bothered or not modellers are on youtube or facebook comments.. 

• Like 1