Junkers Ju87B-1 Stuka Airfix 1/72 New Tool

My latest completion is the new tool Airfix 1/72 kit of the Junkers Ju87B-1 Stuka, built OOB using scheme A - 9./Sturzfampfgeschwader 51, Norrent-Fontes, France, August 1940.

Airbrushed with Stynylrez grey primer and Vallejo Model Air, finished with W&N Galeria matt varnish.

WiP thread here.

27234840095_d940236f7b_c.jpg

26628107074_73e3faea18_c.jpg

27137685502_6e30c60f72_c.jpg

27165822571_7b6b37de44_c.jpg

27165945101_128f336271_c.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The Airfix new tools go together well IMHO with some care needed over cleaning paint and flash from the joins and the occasional wiggle. The only exception in my case was the gunsight and I would suggest at least dry fitting that during the i/p assembly and close-up rather than at the end (as the instructions suggest).

I would also suggest leaving the flaps off and painting them separately to avoid masking issues and breakages. Just make sure you have them the right way up when you paint them (see WiP).

Stew also suggests doing the same with the tailplane struts, a good idea as they're top, rather than bottom, coloured.

I'd also suggest a set of canopy masks for those that are not experienced with masking - the canopies have some really fine lines and awkward shapes.

Comments welcomed as always.

• Like 54

Thanks everyone, you're all very kind and do excuse me for not replying individually to you all - what a response! :)

Bristol Boy I'm having a rest from short runs at the moment, especially the Avalons! :D

I normally spray at 15psi with a 0.4mm nozzle except for Stynylrez primer which likes 25psi. HTH.

I've started my next WiP in the Spitfire GB, a PR.Ia - come on over, you'll be very welcome as always :)

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, very kind :)

Thanks Meatbox - I have a few 'interesting' Luftwaffe subjects in the stash and hopefully I can get the paint sorted this time - we had long discussions on whether the Vallejo Schwarz Swarts Black/Green was too grey. One thing that won't get easier is typing the long words!

That's a neat, crisp build. Very well done!

I was only just this morning working out if I had enough pennies saved up to get one of these...

Seems I have!

• Like 1

Rather nice Ced, rather nice indeed. Love the 'action' shot in the dive bombing mode.

Stukas just look like they were built for business, and I think you captured that well.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Ian - I hope you enjoy your build! :)

Thanks Mike, very kind (as always). Mean machines these Luftwaffe beasts... :)

Hi Ced,

Superb clean build! The finishing is very smooth and great photography too!

As I said in the WIP, I'm envious of your productivity without impairing the quality of the finished builds! :)

:goodjob:

What are you building next?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Lovely job.

Enjoyed following your WIP and really like the finished item. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks 'ar', you're very welcome :)

That's a really nice-looking Stuka (if such a thing is possible!) - well done

Thanks Vultures - we've agreed that Stukas are 'jolie laide' as the French say (hence Stew's comment above!)

Hi Ced,

Superb clean build! The finishing is very smooth and great photography too!

As I said in the WIP, I'm envious of your productivity without impairing the quality of the finished builds! :)

:goodjob:

What are you building next?

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, very kind :)

I've started my next WiP in the Spitfire GB, a PR.Ia - come on over, you'll be very welcome as always