Hobby Boss 1/48 Tornado F.3

Here's some pics of my newly completed HB Tornado F3. Yes, I know of all the kits inaccuracies and things that need fixing but I just wanted to build it and finish it without getting bogged down in fixing stuff up!

I have used some aftermarket, namely Edward cockpit PE, Neomega resin seats, Aires speed brake wells and exhausts and Quickboost gear doors. Incidentally I used the kit speed brakes over the Aires ones as they seemed to be better detailed!!!

The FOD guards are scratch built and help to hide the lack of any intake trunking.

Hey, whatever....it looks like a Tornado to me!!

Thanks to Al Zaro for the photography.

IMG_0472_zpsz80mut48.jpg

IMG_0473_zpsbnqs1zgo.jpg

IMG_0474_zpsorbhzroh.jpg

IMG_0475_zpsjj5junm1.jpg

IMG_0476_zpssfwpcmyp.jpg

IMG_0477_zpsus0j1wjd.jpg

IMG_0478_zpsspyh4fwj.jpg

IMG_0479_zpsql2hn5kx.jpg

IMG_0480_zpskbd4gn6e.jpg

IMG_0481_zpscsxg0spa.jpg

IMG_0482_zps0brndgw0.jpg

IMG_0483_zpsqfnkmpdt.jpg

IMG_0487_zps2uigyxd3.jpg

IMG_0488_zpsrokffpvv.jpg

IMG_0489_zps7l7emaqh.jpg

IMG_0490_zpsdgawfmlu.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsuaycacxr.jpg

IMG_0494_zpstqyv3ti9.jpg

• Like 34

looking great!, really nice!

I did the earlier version of this scheme on the Airfix kit last year...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988047-tornado-f3-56r-sqn-firebirds-raf-display-2000-airfix-148/?hl=firebirds

I am very fond of this Firebirds special!

:partytime:

That's very nice indeed!

It certainly does look like a Tornado to me. I'm no Tornado expert, but if that flew over my house I'd say 'Wow, a Tornado!'

It's an F.3, and it looks stunning to me! The more I see of these HB kits being built and finished like this the more I'm prepared to have a go at mine and just accept its flaws.

Has anyone tried using the Airfix Tornado intakes on the HB kit? The intakes are the one thing that really need fixing.

Beautiful build,

Eng

Hello,John - Well,she certainly looks like a 'Tornado' to me as well!! ;) I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the restrained weathering.This resplendent looking build has raised my interest in the kit itself and is a subject I'd like to do myself.A fine tribute to the 'Firebirds' and the type. :) All the best,Paul.

Edited by mcdonnell