Airfix SWIFT

piggypod1

The moulds got damaged by the factory so it's has been delayed several times, the current release date is some time in April with the proviso it could yet stretch to end of May

Looks like the model has had about as much luck as the full size aircraft. With the Swifts history, I'm glad Airfix are not doing an earlier marque !!.

Dennis

• Like 1

May I quote from the online OED. "Marque: A make of car as distinct from a specific modell: marques such as Bentley, Ferrari, or Porsche". Aircraft have Marks and car makers have Marques.

Those editors at Osprey have a lot to answer for. " Late Marque Spitfire Aces of World War 2" indeed!

• Like 1

May I quote from the online OED. "Marque: A make of car as distinct from a specific modell: marques such as Bentley, Ferrari, or Porsche". Aircraft have Marks and car makers have Marques.

Those editors at Osprey have a lot to answer for. " Late Marque Spitfire Aces of World War 2" indeed!

Aircraft also have Marques. The abbreviated term "Mk." is an abbreviation of the word "Marque", spelt such for for phonetic reasons, and has been incorrectly "translated" over the years into "Mark". Or so I was taught at Oxford A.S.T. and Perth when the C.A.A. awarded me my A & C Licences.

The Osprey title is perfectly correct as it refers to Spitfire Aces that flew a "family" of Spitfires.

In Post 4, I was referring to the family of Swifts that preceded the F.R.Mk.5.

Dennis

Aircraft also have Marques. The abbreviated term "Mk." is an abbreviation of the word "Marque", spelt such for for phonetic reasons, and has been incorrectly "translated" over the years into "Mark". Or so I was taught at Oxford A.S.T. and Perth when the C.A.A. awarded me my A & C Licences.

The Osprey title is perfectly correct as it refers to Spitfire Aces that flew a "family" of Spitfires.

In Post 4, I was referring to the family of Swifts that preceded the F.R.Mk.5.

Dennis

I thought "marque " signifies a make or brand and "mark" the version of a particular thing made by that "marque"

Van

This is the way that I was taught to use the word "marque". For example, as part of a C.A.A. Airworthiness Approval Note for a refurbished Spitfire. As such, I have always considered such Notices to be legal documents :-

047wweV.jpg

HTH

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57

Unfortunately this definition is from oxforddictionaries.com, not the actual OED which can be found here. Those editors at Osprey were correct in their useage.

Mark.

Unfortunately this definition is from oxforddictionaries.com, not the actual OED which can be found here. Those editors at Osprey were correct in their useage.

Mark.

Strangely the Oxford Concise English Dictionary says:

Marque:n. a make of motorcar as distinct from a specific model

Mark:(followed by a numeral) A particular design, model, etc., of a car, aircraft etc. (this is the Mark 2 model)

I guess it is a case of whatever dictionary you prefer!

:winkgrin:

Edited by Van
  • Like 1

I hope Airfix have the gumption to include the Prometheus markings in their kit.

Marty...

If memory serves, that would be the ill fated example in the technically inaccurate but nonetheless very watchable movie "Sound Barrier"? Nice idea. :D

Allan

Only on BM can a thread go from a question about a new model, and shoot off on a tangent about the correct spelling of a particular word. Can we please get back on track? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ayup Dave...

But thats the FUN of it all. No-ones asked if anyone's a fan of Marque-y Marque yet. Are there any here ?

• Like 2

Only on BM can a thread go from a question about a new model, and shoot off on a tangent about the correct spelling of a particular word. Can we please get back on track? :thumbsup:

I think the first reply answered the question...

If memory serves, that would be the ill fated example in the technically inaccurate but nonetheless very watchable movie "Sound Barrier"? Nice idea. :D

Allan

I think I'm right in saying tth film is VERY loosely based on Geoffrey Dehavilland, like all David Lean movies it highly entertaining plus quality footage of 1950s aviation. i was joking by the way that Airfix should include Prometheus markings, the spares box wouldn't take to much of a hit to do the necessary.

Some interesting behind the scenes stills can be found here:

http://old.bfi.org.uk/lean/material.php?theme=1&type=Photograph&title=sound_barrier

Marty..

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Never mind marque / mark / marquee / magic marker ... as Dennis' post has raised it, can anyone fill me in on how to pronounce Micheldever?

Mitchell devver is how it is pronounced

Meanwhile.......

Back on the Airfix Swift topic. Am I the only person on this forum that is NOT looking forward to Airfix's eventual release of the Swift, or come to think of it, the Airfix Shackleton as well?.

Looking at Airfix's poor track record regarding "new generation" new tool 1/72nd scale kits that they have manufactured over the last few years, (Canberra,Valiant, Gnat, Vampire, Harrier) to name a few, and their obsession with producing every single 1/72nd scale kit with grossley overscribed, deep wide out of scale panel demarcation lines. That leaves a completed model, even if it is made by the most competent, professional builders amongst us looking something very similar to the Corgi Classic range of diecasts.

Then of course, there are the wheels! Believe it or not Mr Airfix, there are still many modellers out there who prefer unweighted wheels. Why not include two sets of wheels? weighted and unweighted.

Then there are the canopies, oh those canopies! On first sight they look good. Nice and shiny and clear. Great but... Look more closely and you will discover the majority if not all, carry the same Airfix trade mark. Identical, internal impregnated squiggly molding line that usually runs from the cockpit windscreen across the canopy hood. Impossible to remove even by the well proven methods. Vampire, Harrier and Gnat are the worst.

Not to mention the bad quality control issues that are plaguing the Swift.

So good luck to all you Airfix fans, WHEN they finally get their act together and release the wretched thing.

Edited by TENNESSEE

Well, the Swift made it over here, if briefly. i picked one up a few weeks ago at my local hobby shop. My example has a beautifully thin and clear canopy and windscreen, but does have some gnarly ejector pin scars on the upper middle portion of both fuselage halves which will require some filing/filling/sanding.

All in all, I am quite pleased with the kit, having built the old Hawk kit in my youth. Notwithstanding its lack of success as a fighter, I've always thought that the Swift, with its rubenesque fuselage, was a most attractive airplane (aeroplane).

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

I've had the new Airfix Swift kit for two months now. It does not have any ejector pin push-throughs, the canopy is thin, crystal clear and has no flow lines, the tyres are not weighted, and the panel lines are not grossly over-scribed nor deep, wide, or out of scale.

If that's your definition of wretched, bring 'em 'on! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1