1/72 - Grumman A-6 Intruder/EA-6B Prowler family by Trumpeter - A-6A & E released

Homebee

Test build on display at the All Japan Hobby Show 2023

Source: https://twitter.com/ModelArtInc/status/1707639359523160269

F7-LA8-Jlb-EAAWfzq-jpeg.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/gustav.jung.7/posts/pfbid0dwvxXmDDMHzF2k9d1qxgKYKKKb66JvPhJeNVgudFX2oSEtDTXgofhjNFKJZGuTivl

384756793-6610901712337654-2274998590140

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Memphis said:

The plastic looks great, but the choice of weapons and their number is strange.

The selection does seem a little sparse for Trumpeter, but what else did the early Intruder carry.

12 minutes ago, MiG-Mech said:

Is this the best they could built from the kit oob ?

There is no 'straight out of the box' here, because nobody builds kits from test injections to make them look pretty. A lot of things are tested at this stage, the look of the assembled kit is not important. The fact that Trumpeter is showing a test model is a gesture towards modellers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Grumman A-6 Intruder/EA-6B Prowler family by Trumpeter - A-6A released - A-6E in January 2024

Expected release in China in late January 2024 - ref. 01641 - Grumman A-6E Intruder

Source: http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.php?g=home&m=article&a=show&id=270&l=en

Box art

Original box art proposal with wrong tail code (EN instead of NE)

bd8d1cc24f57b758accd84e0653b54b3.jpg

And the corrected and final box art

29866-extra-large.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Both A and E boxings ideally would have both holed and unholed (fixed closed) airbrake options, as plain ones featured on late build Alphas and holed ones on many CILOP Echoes — but there's always the delights of using a pin vise drill. 

ResKit have some nice missiles for the Intruder: a pair of AGM-78 STARMs for an AWG-21 mod Echo; and quality MER racks for regular bombers. There are also Shrikes coming but those need the Aero 5 style launcher (cf USAF LAU-34 in the forthcoming set).

Have bought much of this, and more, for my 1/32 version. One of Trumpeter's "A Team" creations in all three scales (1/48 bearing the Hobbyboss label).  

Will be interesting to see what decals emerge from Caracal and Furballs. The Es sported a lot of colour in the period 1973-1980. 

Tony 

Edited by tony.t
clarity

11 hours ago, one72 said:

AOA make some great decals for the A and E Intruders . I picked up a 72nd set just for this kit. They’re printed by Cartograf and are really well done.

Yes AOA do, but they are Vietnam era A/Bs or 1980s+ TRAM era in subdued markings.

What I'd like to see are pre-TRAM, pre-shades of grey LGG over white colourful tails from 1973-1980, e.g. VA-35 Panthers on Nimitz, VA-65 Tigers on Independence etc. 

Tony 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

Yes AOA do, but they are Vietnam era A/Bs or 1980s+ TRAM era in subdued markings.

What I'd like to see are pre-TRAM, pre-shades of grey LGG over white colourful tails from 1973-1980, e.g. VA-35 Panthers on Nimitz, VA-65 Tigers on Independence etc. 

Tony 

Seconded, I want to do a Black Panter VA-35 with the big round insignia on the tail

This is so exciting!  :bounce:   I have never built an A-6.  This kit is my Xmas present to myself.    Well, actually, this is my main prezzy but I won't be getting it for a while.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/secr-o1-no-a7-sr-lined-black-egyptian-lettering/

I think I'll start on the A-6 as soon as I get my sweaty paws on it.   But there is a problem.  Do I build it on the deck with flaps and slats deployed?  Or do I build it with wings folded?  Either way, I will build an A-6E for next year's US Navy GB in the opposite configuration to what I build now.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

This is so exciting!  :bounce:   I have never built an A-6.  This kit is my Xmas present to myself.    Well, actually, this is my main prezzy but I won't be getting it for a while.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/secr-o1-no-a7-sr-lined-black-egyptian-lettering/

I think I'll start on the A-6 as soon as I get my sweaty paws on it.   But there is a problem.  Do I build it on the deck with flaps and slats deployed?  Or do I build it with wings folded?  Either way, I will build an A-6E for next year's US Navy GB in the opposite configuration to what I build now.  

Buy two, build them both ways.

• Haha 2

My kit arrived yesterday. :thumbsup:   I shall start building it tomorrow. 

There is a lot of plastic in the box, which was smaller than I expected.  This means that the sprues are packed very tightly.  Some of them are wrapped with extra protection.  Sometimes that doesn't help because everythng is so tightly packed.  An example is the Trumpeter Mig-29, where the canopy was broken despite being carefully packed.  .  The A-6 canopy seems intact however.

As mentioned earlier in this thread there are some odd choices with the ordnance.  There are two MERs (despite four being shown on the box art).  There are enough bombs to fill one with MK 82s and the other with MK 81s.  Very odd.  There are eight MK 20 CBUs and two M117s.  There are also two GBU-8s but the less said about them, the better.  They are vastly underscale.  In 1/72 they should be 50mm long.  They are actually 33mm long making them about 1/90 scale. 

The disappointing ordnance seems to be a recurring motif with Trumpyboss kits but it's not the end of the world.  Extra MERs and MK 82s aren't exactly difficult to find. 

However, I'm looking forward to building this kit. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The disappointing ordnance seems to be a recurring motif with Trumpyboss kits but it's not the end of the world. 

Agreed, totally.
It's a pitty and I just can't imagine the reason to make it as wrong as you described.

• Like 1