Airfix Sunderland - Sea Rescue Diorama

Hi all

This is not hot of the bench by any means, I completed this about 5 years ago and sold it after displaying it for a few years at work. I have posted this as a memory of the kit being one of Airfix's classic oldies which I also built a few times as a lad in the 70's. This build was inspired by a trip to RAF Hendon where you can walk through their Sunderland. I used a number of 3rd party PE and resin add-ons and ended up with a mix between a III and a V - I could not get hold of any fishtail exhausts for the model at the time of assembly. There are numerous inaccuracies throughout the build, in particular the direction of the fuselage side door hinge opening and bomb bay doors but I wanted to try and add as much life and interior detail as possible. What is nice to see now are all the new aftermarket bits for the new Italeri Sunderland which comes with quite a good basic interior to work up from. Thanks for looking in - good old Airfix kits still work well...

DSCF0496.jpg

IMG_5310.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

DSCF0503.jpg

DSCF0505.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

DSCF0510.jpg

IMG_5296.jpg

IMG_5292.jpg

084.jpg

099.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

121_2177.jpg

122_2227.jpg

Not very accurate but here we are inside

123_2359.jpg

123_2362.jpg

123_2363.jpg

123_2364.jpg

anyone for Milk or cabbages !!

123_2365.jpg

124_2418.jpg

150_5069.jpg

150_5067.jpg

Thanks for looking - definitely not one of my best but definitely one of my more enjoyed builds at time

• Like 42

This is a beautiful model and a great diorama. You can see the care and the detail in the build. It is amazing. I have the old Airfix kit with all the aftermarket goodies for it, plus the new Italeri kit that will be built together for comparison. I only hope mine comes out half as good as yours. I especially like the assorted random items being brought back to base in the holds and crew compartments. Just excellent.

Honestly? I got seasickness right after i spoted the first image... the water is fantastic!! I can almost see the Sunderland going up and down, up and down, up.. ok lets leave this, seasickness is comming back... I simply love this build, its amazing, every little detail is great, wonderful.. :goodjob:

WOW!!!

Ones gob is well and truly smacked!

You have done wonders there!

When I first saw this, I thought you had use the new Italeri kit, not the old Airfix kit!

The diorama is just incredible work!

Brilliant work on the Sunderland and the diorama! The interior work is quite amazing! Did you scratchbuild the radar antennae at the back of the fuselage or were they AM?

Regards,

Jason

That must be one of the best builds I've ever seen just incredible the diorama just makes it come alive l love it

Edited by goose

WOW!! That is a stunning diorama, as someone else pointed out you really can feel the Sunderland bobbing about on the heavy swell. And I also agree, that water looks COLD!.

How did you do the seascape if you don't mind my asking?

A really, really beautiful piece of craftsmanship all round. The interior detail is spectacular.

Rgds,

Eng

Superb, a really imaginative piece of work. Brilliant.

That's excellent! What a great dio & the Sunderland looks magnificent - a real scale replica.

Did you get the outboard props from Propblur?

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick thanks fir the praise - yep those are prop blurs from the USA