1/72 - Supermarine Swift FR.5 by Airfix - released - Freightdog F.1, 2, 4 and F.7 conversion sets

Homebee

...or Fireball XL5

or Captain Scarlet........................!!! :lol:

Anyway, back on topic! Yes, I'm disappointed that the Swift is in 1/72 but, what the hell..................................!!!

Allan

• 1 month later...

You cannot please all of the people all of the time: we should be grateful to Airfix for what they already have given us and what they will be giving us in 2014.

But has anybody noticed the large number of Starter and Gift sets? I'll hazard that most of us modellers are (well) into the second half of our modelling lives. Hopefully Airfix will never die, but that's far from assured unless 'new blood' (and not from slips with the modelling knife) is brought in: in other words they must create a demand. As far as I can see they are the only ones trying to do this, though all others stand to benefit from their efforts.

To change the subject slightly, has anyone looked at Humbrol's 2014 releases? USAF WW11 colours for example: aside from the fact that it was then USAAF, the box shows two USN aircraft and a Korean War Mustang! RAF WW11 shows an EE Lightning and Chipmunk!

From this and other issues (1/72 Hurricane), I have the impression that the website released to a deadline rather than when it was 100% correct. Given the huge interest shown on this site, the sooner it could be released the better even if some later corrections were needed.

Keep up the good work Hornby Hobbies

All what you say is true, this hobby needs new blood, I'm afraid what I see though through model shows and my own club is mainly middle age men, but I'm glad that Airfix are trying to get youngsters started in the hobby.

• 4 months later...

Ooh!

Now, I have Revell's release of the Phantom FGR.2 with 2 Sqn. markings, a set of Esci Jag stickies with 2 Sqn. markings to put on something better and this has 2 Sqn. markings.

I feel a theme emerging.

All I need now is some mojo to actually do some modelling!

Trevor

• 1 month later...

Source: http://www.network54.com/forum/47751/message/1407176676/The+new+Airfix+Supermarine+Swift

Here are a couple of photos of the new 1:72 Airfix Supermarine Swift. This is a superb kit and you can see my build article in the new issue of Airfix Model World which is in the shops now. The kit should be in the shops in the coming weeks.

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

The detail looks fantastic, however didn't people start bagging Airfix's new DC-3, only to realise that those panel lines were not as bad as first thought.

I must admit, those nose panel lines do look rather deep and wide. I am hoping that this has been over emphasized by the modeller rather than the model itself.

As each new Airfix kit seems to be better than the last, I'm banking that this one is a winner as well - just might need a smidge of Mr. Surfacer perhaps (although I hope not).

Cheers . Dave

Without wishing to offend anyone and as a personal observation, if you look at the photos of the Swift reproduced on this and other threads, the thing that stands out is the the lack of much in the way of panel lines. From what I gather from people who looked after RAF aircraft in the late 50's and 60's smaller aircraft particularly were kept quite clean and so not much chance for an accumulation of dirt etc in panel lines, never much been a fan of highlighting panel lines.

• Like 3

Reading the article the panel lines have been given a black wash. It actually looked better without, to be honest. And a black wash? Why? At the most, dark grey, surely?

It is particularly ironic as he praises the kit's finely engraved panel lines.

I have to agree with you, Martin.

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...