1/72 - Supermarine Swift FR.5 by Airfix - released - Freightdog F.1, 2, 4 and F.7 conversion sets

Homebee

On 12/11/2014 at 09:50, Navy Bird said:

Mine is currently on its way from Starfighter Decals (they're in Ohio I think). Their shipment arrived this past Monday. I was surprised that he had them so soon, but what the heck - it's only money. Might as well add another kit to the stash. :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

My Swift arrived yesterday (I'm in upstate New York - way upstate) and I've got to say it really looks sweet. I have no clue what that guy did in his build to make those panel lines look like Matchbox times 2 filled with tar, but the lines on my sample are nicely delicate. I would rate them on a par with the best I've seen from the new Airfix, at least the kits that I have.

That reminds me, I suppose I should open up the clear parts bag and look for that little issue and see if I can see anything.

Overall, I like the detail and the engineering. The cockpit sidewalls attach to the tub, and as such are not moulded into the fuselage sides. I think this allows for finer detail to be moulded. Although the bang seat frame is moulded in two pieces (split right down the centreline), the seat cushion is a separate third piece. It won't have to have a nasty seam filled. And two cushions are provided, with and without seat harnesses. Great idea, you can paint the ones that are there, or you can add aftermarket harnesses without having to grind off moulded in ones.

Full intake trunking and exhaust chamber make for a nice rendition of the engine when looking from each end. The rudder, ailerons, and flaps can be posed. The windscreen consists of two clear pieces, the outer glass and the armoured section in the center which attaches to the inside. All together it looks really nice in the box. I've not tried dry fitting anything, so that remains to be seen.

Decal choices are two birds from RAF Germany. WK281, No. 79 Squadron, April 1956 is Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey over PRU Blue and has the belly tank, while XD972, No. 11 Squadron, 1956, is Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey over Aluminum with the tank. The tank is shown in the instructions as optional, so I guess you could leave it off if you wanted a sleeker model. I don't know how often it was used, I suspect for the recce flights it was most likely there.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I received two copies of the Swift kit yesterday here in Central Connecticut. My first impressions generally echo Bill's comments in the previous post. However, there are some obvious QA issues with both my kits that Airfix needs to address, and maybe these are the reasons the kit has not been more widely available. First, it is obvious from the fuselage halves that Airfix had to use a slide mold insert to be able to mold the upper fuselage with the various vents in place. On both of my kits, there are two very pronounced ejector pin marks on the exterior surface of the fuselage along what would be the edge of this mold insert. These also occur along a panel line so sanding them off, while easy enough also requires restoration of the panel lines in this area. Some filling with putty will also be required. The clear parts look fine for the most part, except that on one of my windshield parts there is a hairline crack at the apex of the windshield where the sprue attaches, just like on the 1/24 Typhoon kit.

Here's a picture

15175641974_58c85e2bb3_b.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine

And two cushions are provided, with and without seat harnesses. Great idea, you can paint the ones that are there, or you can add aftermarket harnesses without having to grind off moulded in ones.

hey, that's a good idea! I always wondered why the manufacturer won't leave us some choice, like flat instrument panels with decals for those who want it quick, or structured panels for those who want it realistic. I guess in 1/72, it wouldn't use too much additional plastic or decal space. I got anyway the impression that Airfix is the "leader" for choices, just look at the harrier GR.7/9, or the Swordfish for the folded wings option.

Alex

Interesting, no ejector pin marks on mine:

100_5153

Clear parts look OK, too. No flow lines or fractures. A couple of light scuffs on the canopy, but these will polish out easy.

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting, no ejector pin marks on mine:

100_5153.jpg

Clear parts look OK, too. No flow lines or fractures. A couple of light scuffs on the canopy, but these will polish out easy.

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting! Someone posted full sprue pictures on Hyperscale in the Airfix Modelling Forum and their kit has the same ejector pin marks that mine do.

Purchased in New Jersey last evening (Nov. 14), my too has the ejector pin marks (push throughs?) on both fuselage halves as shown in VMA 131's pictures. Small price to pay for a really sweet kit.

Purchased in New Jersey last evening (Nov. 14), my too has the ejector pin marks (push throughs?) on both fuselage halves as shown in VMA 131's pictures. Small price to pay for a really sweet kit.

Ah, I'll bet that's exactly what they are. Push throughs. When I look at the inside of the fuselage, that is exactly where you can see the normal ejector pin marks. Just need to adjust the force used to push out the pin after moulding, problem fixed. Too bad some got through.

Cheers,

Bill

A bit disappointing that the QC didn't check a bit more thoroughly to weed out the ones with the problem before releasing the kits to market. I hope it's not the case of the supplier fudging the numbers with the problem to meet a quota for shipping to the US.

Edited by Richard M

My Swift arrived yesterday (I'm in upstate New York - way upstate) and I've got to say it really looks sweet. I have no clue what that guy did in his build to make those panel lines look like Matchbox times 2 filled with tar, but the lines on my sample are nicely delicate.

The build in Airfix Model World? It's his only technique, though you're a bit nasty attributing it to tar - it's normally a good dousing of Humbrol 33 in every panel line'

Beats me why someone hasn't told him that it makes the model look like poor diecasts, because everyone I know cringes when they see the photos - and many of them cringe because the panel lines are "obviously horrible" given how they look. Sales lost there are more a problem for Hornby than the builder

Shane

"A big lump" isn't a bad description of the Swift, really.

I entirely agree with the comments above about overdone panel lines lacking in realism, but also I've seen the "looks like toys" argument used against smooth models with no sign of panel lines. However, if such excessive grunge really did put off any significant number of people I don't think the fashion would have lasted as long as it has. I suspect this is because many modellers simply do not know (nor care) what aircraft really looked like (clean or weathered) so will accept any fashion that looks "clever" to their eyes. Hopefully the fashion may be reducing: Airfix are using finer grooves on their kits, and having just seen the latest Airfix mag Jen Wright seems to have managed a fair compromise on the Blenheim Mk.IV model.

The build in Airfix Model World? It's his only technique, though you're a bit nasty attributing it to tar - it's normally a good dousing of Humbrol 33 in every panel line'

(snip)

Shane

In the late sixties I read an article in the original Airfix Magazine espousing this wonderful technique to spruce up your models - flooding panel lines with indian ink. Which I duly did. Fortunately, the only engraved lines back then were control surfaces, which reduced the damage. Perhaps some all-powerful modelling god should enforce a return to raised panel lines for a few months, just to inject a modicum of sanity.

Oh, and I still have that model, an Airfix Folland Gnat. Most of the paint and transfers have worn off, but the ink is still there............

Like others, I've seen the Swift , in my case at Telford , and the panel lines IMO will only be an issue for those who make it so with the advanced indian ink substitute of their choice. I've made a Rareplanes and a Magna model of the Swift, and don't really need another, but will certainly buy one of these regardless.

Paul.

Modelling is of course a compromise between reality and what we as individual modellers can achieve...unfortunately the fad for heavy weathering won't go away. Graham's right, I sometimes wonder if some modellers ever look at a real aircraft, or photo's of real aircraft. Each modeller to their own I guess.

The Swift though! If any aircraft shouldn't have ink injected into panel lines it's The Swift. In fact the panel lines should be invisible, on the real aircraft panel lines were filled and sanded smooth to provide those extra few knots. It would take a brave modeller to do this though....added to this a gloss finish would indeed make the model toylike.

Looking forward to getting mine though........

As an aside, I bought mine from Hornby/Airfix USA and it shipped from Fife, Washington (near Tacoma), which is presumably where they are located - so it would make sense that these were shipped from India direct to the US. Which makes it odd that we are normally the last country in the world to get new Airfix stuff!

As an aside, I bought mine from Hornby/Airfix USA and it shipped from Fife, Washington (near Tacoma), which is presumably where they are located - so it would make sense that these were shipped from India direct to the US. Which makes it odd that we are normally the last country in the world to get new Airfix stuff!

Ah. And I live in Fife, Scotland, so by Sod's Law I'll be the last one on the planet to get it.

Paul.

• Like 2

"A big lump" isn't a bad description of the Swift, really.

I entirely agree with the comments above about overdone panel lines lacking in realism, but also I've seen the "looks like toys" argument used against smooth models with no sign of panel lines. However, if such excessive grunge really did put off any significant number of people I don't think the fashion would have lasted as long as it has. I suspect this is because many modellers simply do not know (nor care) what aircraft really looked like (clean or weathered) so will accept any fashion that looks "clever" to their eyes. Hopefully the fashion may be reducing: Airfix are using finer grooves on their kits, and having just seen the latest Airfix mag Jen Wright seems to have managed a fair compromise on the Blenheim Mk.IV model.

I believe the panel line fidelity of a given Airfix kit depends on which factory made it; Look at the Do.17 next to the Swift and the panel lines are clearly different - much worse on the Dornier.

I like the diversity of models, Its great to have recessed lines and weathering just as much as its good to have none, This argument that they look like toys I think is more born out of people trying to justify to themselves "its a model not a toy" through fear of ridicule, Fact is what others think don't matter and if your happy keep modelling, Its ok for adults to have fun too and a model with panel lines does not look like a toy, A toy would have deep cracks in it from where it is put together.

Fact is a lot of 50s aircraft such as this do have comic book futuristic styles to them so if they look a bit toyish then you have succeeded in replicating the real thing.

Any model airplane without a dio will look like a model airplane panel lines or not. Photographing one at the right angle with the right dio and back ground will make them look real.

Ultimately none of the above matters so long as your happy.. :)

Just to add my current fave technique is to have a smooth model and draw on the lines with a pencil and smudge them. I find this looks cool under a varnish, Soft and halfway between none and the forces of Valour look :)

• Like 1

The Swift though! If any aircraft shouldn't have ink injected into panel lines it's The Swift.

And the F-102. The panel lines on the recent Meng kit need to be filled in as well.

Cheers,

Bill

Don't real aircraft have the lines between the panels filled with grout before the paint goes on. ?

Depends entirely on the aeroplane. Most don't. Aeroplanes are in general pretty flexible, which doesn't help to keep filler attached. Also. it depends how it is built. Some panels are butted together, some overlap, in a clinker-built style. Spitfires are a good example of all sorts of variations.

Also depends on how precisely it was built. If you look closely at a Spitfire, a P-51D and a Sea Fury, all side by side, in sequence, you will see that three different styles of manufacture with clearly increasing precision and accuracy of manufacture as you progress along the line.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Panel lines on most small scale models are there purely because it's what it's expected to be seen rather than a true scale feature. IMO that's why they are so important in terms of width and depth, and this is where Airfix usually falls short:

Panel lines can easily get lost in a disruptive or dark camo scheme, so very subtle highlighting by preshading or a wash can be beneficial. If you have large panel lines, it's pretty much impossible to do anything subtle with them, and your weathering options are reduced, unless you want the cringeworthy "dry stone wall" effect so loved by reviewers in the lower end modelling magazines.

• Like 1