1:72 Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I

Hi mates, here is my latest project, the Spitfire Mk. I as seen in summer of 1938. This started out as an out-of-the-box build, but of course that didn't last long.

Project: Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I

Kit: Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I/IIa (kit number A02010)
Scale: 1:72 (The One True Scale)
Decals: From the kit, representing 19(F) Squadron at Duxford in August of 1938
Photoetch: Eduard Interior Set No. SS400

Vacuform: Falcon Spitfire Canopy Set
Paint: Gunze H72 Dark Earth, H73 Dark Green, H309 FS34079, H47 Red Brown, H90 Clear Red, H91 Clear Yellow, H93 Clear Blue, H94 Clear Green; Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black; Testors 2062 RAF Interior Green,1149 Flat Black, 1168 Flat White; Alclad 101 Aluminum, 104 Pale Burnt Metal, 115 Stainless Steel, 314 Klear Kote Flat
Weathering: Some post shading to simulate paint fading, but generally not much weathering as the aircraft was new during this time period. I applied a burnt umber panel line wash to the camouflaged areas, light gray to the white underside, and black to the night underside.

Improvements/Corrections

• Applied the Eduard PE set to the cockpit.
  • Cut open the kit canopy, and used the windscreen and rear canopy. For the sliding canopy, I used a section of a Falcon vacuform.
  • Camouflage pattern was hand masked (not a template).
  • Shortened the HF mast to represent correct height of 68cm.
  • Added antenna with 0.005" diameter Nitinol wire.

Build thread: Link

All told, I liked this kit a lot. Only a couple of points of discussion during the build, one of course was the panel lines. I partially filled them with Alclad grey primer, and I think that helped a lot. It's not so much that they're too wide, it's that they're very deep. Which in some respects is good, as you won't lose them during sanding. The panel line wash that I applied made them stand out a bit more, but I think it adds some interest. More discussion in the build thread...

The other point was the markings, specifically the wing roundels. I could find no photos that show WZ-T with the roundel placement shown by Airfix. The directive in place at that time specified upper wing roundels on both wings, and most photos (but not all) of 19 Squadron Spitfires at that time show both. I chose to model WZ-T that way, partly to be in compliance with the directive, and partly to appease my sense that Spitfires should have roundels on both wings. Again, more discussion in the build thread...

So on with the pictures!

100_3396

100_3408

100_3394

100_3392

100_3406

100_3401

100_3413

100_3414

100_3400

100_3127

100_3123

100_3122

EDIT - I really should have used a different seat. This one is about 5 scale inches thick!

100_3145

wzt3

wzt

Enjoy the photos! It's a great little kit and I had a great time building it. It took longer than it should have, but the project was interrupted by my ninth back surgery. It is so much fun getting old! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 6

Very nicely done and an excellent bit of research. Only tiny bits I can see that might need adding (and this is NOT a criticism as I love this build) would be a flush cover for the fuel port to highlight the fact that these early spits did not have the armor plating on them yet (hence less of a step) and a bead on the nose for the ring and bead gunsight. Other than that, it looks the part rather nicely. I love how the radio mast came out and the lengthened flash suppressors on the gun barrels. It is a nice stroke of luck that your Spit also had the later style pitot port on the wing as opposed to the two port fork shaped one I had to scratchbuild on mine (a chore in 1/48, but literal microsurgery in 1/72).

Very nicely done and an excellent bit of research. Only tiny bits I can see that might need adding (and this is NOT a criticism as I love this build) would be a flush cover for the fuel port to highlight the fact that these early spits did not have the armor plating on them yet (hence less of a step) and a bead on the nose for the ring and bead gunsight. Other than that, it looks the part rather nicely. I love how the radio mast came out and the lengthened flash suppressors on the gun barrels. It is a nice stroke of luck that your Spit also had the later style pitot port on the wing as opposed to the two port fork shaped one I had to scratchbuild on mine (a chore in 1/48, but literal microsurgery in 1/72).

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

Interesting story about the bead for the ring gunsight. I can sum it up in one word - "zing!" Off to the carpet monster. Now, luckily Eduard provides two and the second, well it went "zing!" as well. It wasn't my day for PE I guess! I'll see if there is anything in my magic box of fiddly bits that might work.

The flush cover - that is basically a fuel cap for the recessed hole on the top of the forward fuselage? Was it completely flat on top?

Yes, I am very fortunate that I did not have to build the forked pitot. No one makes that as aftermarket piece?

Cheers,

Bill

Very nice indeed, I think the early Spits looked almost too elegant to be fighting machines. What you need next is a brute of a 109 to scare the pants off the Spitfire :)

Duncan B

Very proper Spitfire indeed! As one poster said, it looks almost too elegant to be flying into harm's way!

For my personal taste, the panel lines look too emphasised, especially on the upper aft fuselage. At that time, I think that fighters were kept more or less immaculate, and there were certainly no trenches between aluminium sheets to collect that amount of black goo… ;-)

Otherwise, top marks!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for all the nice comments. I truly appreciate them!

I wish I knew how to take a photo that appeared exactly as the model does to the human eye. In this case, in real life the panel lines on the model are not anywhere near as distinct or prominent as they appear in these photos. I agree that they look unusually prominent, dark, and wide in the photos, but with my eyeballs they're not so bad. Oh well, we won't settle the great panel line debates here and now! :):)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Oh, I think I found a PE fiddly bit to use for the bead on a stick. Stay tuned!

Lovely looking kit. Well done. What happened with the Tigercat? I think it was you building one. I've just got one off eBay so interested to see how yours was progressing.

Lovely looking kit. Well done. What happened with the Tigercat? I think it was you building one. I've just got one off eBay so interested to see how yours was progressing.

Yep, that was me! It's on hold right now as I work on an XF10F Jaguar for the Swinging Wing Group Build. I was able to secure resin wheel wells for the Tigercat which helps fill a huge hole (literally) in the Revell-Monogram kit. If you're interested, they're available from Starfighter Decals.

Cheers,

Bill

Great job Bill,

You`ve got a lovely little Spitty on your hands there, a real tidy build and excellent paintwork,

Cheers

Tony O

Excellent and very clean build, and some solid research too! I thought the idea if US style rounders on the wings sounded a bit strange although I have seen photos of Hawker Hart family biplanes in green/brown with all sorts of positions!

Nice one,

Adrian