V1, Flying Bomb.

Hi all, this is my latest finished model, the Tamiya V1. I know its not the best V1 model out there and has its shape issues but I just wanted a quick build and get on to the weathering stage asap. V1s were air launched from He111s flown by KG53 and these bombs were stored in surrounding woods in the open until required so would have weathered somewhat.

First of all though I needed something to put it on as the trolly, known as the "Zubringerwagen" supplied in the kit is the sort used for ramp launched V1s.

DSC_1745_zpsec0bb71d.jpg

DSC_1763_zps9e33ff0b.jpg

DSC_1793_zps92c8a618.jpg

When building the V1 I added the starting spark plug on top of the motor and rudder control rod, both from wire. To hide the odd shaped nose and prop I made up a protective cap that covered them up.

I used as usual Gunze paint and afterwards applied a Mig filter (grey for bright green) which blended everything together and when that had fully dried used various Mig oils blended all over to give it a grubby look.

DSC_1813_zpsd61aabb4.jpg

DSC_1808_zpsb947eba5.jpg

DSC_1806_zps44d0f79c.jpg

DSC_1805_zpscc16e4e6.jpg

DSC_1804_zpsb21fad44.jpg

DSC_1802_zps3affbeb0.jpg

DSC_1800_zps59996748.jpg

DSC_1786_zps752dccc0.jpg

DSC_1784_zps10dcde4a.jpg

DSC_1782_zps0ef408af.jpg

DSC_1774_zpsd3ae983b.jpg

DSC_1770_zpsf99306a3.jpg

I know its not strictly an aircraft but its got wings so thats why I've posted in this section!

Thanks for looking in, all comments welcome.

Tim.

• Like 7

Very nice indeed, love the trolley, I did my Hawk kit as a US Navy Loon, bit more colourful than the standard ones. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great comments they're all most appreciated.

The transport trolley took the longest to build, but its most satisfying to build something out of a few bits of plastic rod etc, the wheels came from the spares box. I'll definitely be keeping a look out for another V1 kit to do as it was quite common for them to be camouflaged in some way.

Cheers, Tim.

Lovely V1 mate, missed this the first time round so glad I chanced on it, lovely bit of scratchbuilding on the trolley and flawless paintwork as always. Got the makings of a good diorama coming on with the kettenkraftrad that you did recently?

Cheers, Stu

• Like 1

Hi Kent, thanks for looking in and leaving a comment. Just noticed from your post that you're building a Mossie from the Zirkus Rosarius, I'm thinking of doing something from that using a certain Eduard kit thats just been released.

Tim.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't think I'd see this surface again!

Dave and Jockney, thanks for the great comments and I'm pleased that you both like that trolley, I always like to try and add something of my own to whatever I build.

Tim.

Not sure how I missed this one but very very nice Tank! Rarely see the V1 modelled and even more rare to see one done as well as that!

Howard

Not sure how I missed this one but very very nice Tank! Rarely see the V1 modelled and even more rare to see one done as well as that!

Howard

Hi Howard, thanks for your comments, I keep looking out for that Dora you started a while back, have I missed it or haven't you finished it yet?

That trolley is life like!

Sorry, nice rocket too but I love the trolley weathering! How did you do it?

Cheers Murdo, I think that trolley has had more comments made about it than the actual model!

This is how I went about weathering it after painting

chips were done with a sponge and Vallejo German Cam Black Brown 822, after that I used Mig Oil Three Tone Fading to fade the yellow, applied some AK Light Rust wash over some of the chips and used AK Wash for Yellow asthe pin wash. The wooden parts were first painted with Panzer Aces Old Wood and when dry I used Mig Oil wash Brown for the wood effects, I just applied it to one side at a time and then dragged it across with a paint brush just barely damp with white spirits.

Tim.