I-TALO S.M.75PD

A predecessor of the SM 82, this particular aircraft was used for long distance speed record flights. The model uses the Italeri SM82 with an Italian Kits resin fuselage, tail feathers engine nacelles and other bits and bobs. I only bought this Italian kits conversion because I wanted to get my money's worth on the postage from Italy on another conversion kit that I desired more (the SM79 racer..yet to be built). As it turned out I built this one first. Have taken pics of it I see I need to make a few touch ups but by and large it is finished. The replacement resin Ratier props and spinners defeated me, I was unable to put the small fiddly damn things together into any semblance of squareness.. after a couple of hours frustration I chucked them out and used the SM82 props which are not all that glaringly different (well ok maybe the spinner).

24601712782_40a84e8a94_h.jpg

24625988661_1214fc43c2_h.jpg

24719501245_5d587454ed_h.jpg

24601718972_761d992273_h.jpg

• Like 43

Very nice result!

I like Savoia machines... I have in stash SM 75 by Broplan (vacu), which I am intending to do as Hungarian ambulance or paratroop carrier. I hope the get half as good result as you - sometime in future...

What will be your next conversion? What about SM 73 out of SM 81? To simply? :)

Cheers

J-W

Very nice result!

I like Savoia machines... I have in stash SM 75 by Broplan (vacu), which I am intending to do as Hungarian ambulance or paratroop carrier. I hope the get half as good result as you - sometime in future...

What will be your next conversion? What about SM 73 out of SM 81? To simply? :)

Cheers

J-W

hiya jw..yes I do have a SM.81 in the stash but will do a SM79 Corsa first..at some point in time..got a few on the go already

• Like 1

Lovely, very nice work.

What is that 'three mice' insignia? It turns up quite often on Italian aircraft.

hiya Smudge pasted below is an excerpt from an Italian Watch manufacturer which explains in a nutshell the sorci verdi story syntax and spelling errors faithfully reproduced:

The 205th Bombardment Squadron

Part of the Royal Air Force and the first recipient of the new three-engined Savoia Marchetti S.M.79, in 1936, TCM, with their “Sorci Verdi” line, pays tribute to the 205th bombardment squadron. Designed as high-speed aircrafts between 1937 and 1939, they established 26 world records and were, for a certain period of time, the fastest bombers in the world.

The name “Sorci Verdi” or “Green Mice”, with witch the 205th squadron got nicknamed, was invented in Montecelio in 1936 after Commander Biseo noted the high quality of the means, just received, declaring with satisfaction that his team “would show the green mice to their competitors”.

This expression, as a matter of fact, evokes a historical anecdote of a special punitive department of the Roman Empire, known for its green mice depicted on the shields, whose task was to quell riots in the provinces and whose boldness and cruelty made it very feared by citizens.

The same logo, depicting the three green mice, was then recreated on the fuselage of the 205th aeronautic squadron aircraft. It is them, aviation aces and extraordinary men who distinguished themselves for their sporting and warfare achievements, such as the speed record of their Guidonia-Dakar-Rio de Janeiro flight in January 1938,

cheers and happy modelling

Wally in Perth

• Like 1

Hi Wally.

Excellent looking model, with very smart finish. When I saw your post, I thought I had seen the aircraft before, and looking through my collection of aircraft postcards, I found two of SM75, I-TILO, in the markings of A.L.A. LITTORIA S.A pictured at Asmara Civil Airport, unfortunately, the pictures are sepia printed, so you cannot tell what colour the markings are. The aircraft is one colour all over, possibly white or cream, with the SM75 pennant on the nose and a large Italian flag on the fin, under the tailplane there is the number 32008, on the engine cowlings there is a coloured disk with a 'fascine' superimposed.

Robin.

hiya Smudge pasted below is an excerpt from an Italian Watch manufacturer which explains in a nutshell the sorci verdi story syntax and spelling errors faithfully reproduced:

The 205th Bombardment Squadron

This expression, as a matter of fact, evokes a historical anecdote of a special punitive department of the Roman Empire, known for its green mice depicted on the shields, whose task was to quell riots in the provinces and whose boldness and cruelty made it very feared by citizens.

Cheers for that Wally.Lovely modelling and educational too.

All the best.

• 4 years later...