Handley Page 0/400 Airfix 1/72nd scale

As a rule I stay away from bi-planes, too many wings, and then there is the rigging!😲

However, I have always liked the look of the 0/400 and I was challenged to build the kit by my son!

The kit was a struggle, the fuselage being made up from four panels was a bit of a challenge, and the whole structure has an unwanted twist in it which I couldn't correct.

The other thing I did was to sand off the overdone rib detail on the wings & tail and simulate the rib tape with thin strips of masking tape secured in place with liquid  poly.

I also added an etched scarf ring for the front gun with the Mini World item, which includes a beautifully cast Lewis gun, and I used two more after market Lewis guns from Gaspatch.

The model was painted with Tamiya acrylics. 

HP001.jpg

HP002.jpg

HP003.jpg

HP004.jpg

HP005.jpg

HP006.jpg

HP007.jpg

HP008.jpg

HP009.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Angelo.

• Like 71
  • Thanks 2

What a beast and such a cool subject! Amazing work on the detail, always so impressed when people pull off biplane rigging.

• Like 1

What a challenge! and what a result.. it's lovely despite the issues you had. I rather liked it, and for my money, and very good money it is too! I'd buy your kit for a Dollar!

Great stuff!

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HL-10 said:

As a rule I stay away from bi-planes, too many wings, and then there is the rigging!😲

I kind of had to agree with this.. i've always liked the Swordfish and Gladiator .. but the thought of rigging them.. makes me go and build another Spitfire or P-47 Bubbletop! As for fully rigged sailing vessels.. ..just thinking about rigging them makes me feel lightheaded! I have nothing but respect for those who can do these things!

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the wonderful comments and compliments 😃

They are greatly appreciated. 

That is quite splendid!

I built one of these as a young teenager, it did not turn out looking anything as nice as yours!  I have another stashed away, awaiting sufficient bravery on my part to tackle it again.

Cheers

• Like 1

Beautiful! Is this the kit I pasted together in 1972? I was clearly overstretched then. Thanks for showing how it should have looked like!

• Like 1

One of those kits that no one believed at the time that Airfix would do it. Quite a few bought it, opened it and carefully put it away. Others tried and failed. Just completing it is an achievement. To finish it so well puts you in an elite club. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all the compliments, it means such a lot coming from such a group of talented modellers!

Wow, what an amazing result from the old Airfix kit! Beautifully made and rigged.

(What a shame the Wingnut Wings 1/32 kit never made it to the shops before they pulled the plug).

Cheers

John

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Viking said:

What a shame the Wingnut Wings 1/32 kit never made it to the shops before they pulled the plug

Yes, but it would have been HUGE!

There is a 48th scale resin kit by Copper State that looks rather lovely, but the rigging! 😲

Thanks for all the comments & compliments, greatly appreciated :)

• Like 1