Hawker Hunter F.6A - No. 1 TWU - Revell - 1/72

Scarily good model and brings back memories of passing (loitering around outside) RAF Brawdy and seeing 1TWU hunters, as I recollect the taxiway was very close to the fenceline.  :goodjob:

Chris

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Scarily good model and brings back memories of passing (loitering around outside) RAF Brawdy and seeing 1TWU hunters, as I recollect the taxiway was very close to the fenceline.  :goodjob:

I envy you!

I used to spend all my holydays in the neighborhood of Hyères naval air base as a child.

We did not enjoy a lot of variety: mostly Super Etendards, Crusaders and Bréguet Alizé.

But the routine was sometimes broken by the visits of USS Nimitz in the harbour of Toulon and I got to drool at Tomcats, Hornets, Intruders, Hawkeyes and Trackers passing by.

• Like 2

Fantastic work & I think that's how it should be done. Built two of these Revell 1/72 Hunters & I did exactly the same with the intakes. About time I did another one, oh & I think your weathering is just fine.

Marty

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SebTartar said:

In hindsight, I probably should have been more restrained on the weathering.

It looks perfect to me. Hunters look best in fresh gloss or well used like this. This one has certainly done it's time.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot for the nice comments. Much appreciated.🙏

On 21/03/2024 at 14:50, John Masters said:

It's almost like a GB topic all its own.  😉

I think a forum is foremost about sharing tricks, tips, opinions, advice. I do not see much interest in merely posting pictures of the finished product, TBH.

On 22/03/2024 at 00:06, Lightningboy2000 said:

About time I did another one

You cannot have enough Hunters! Not only this aircraft is a beauty but there were so many users and so many different schemes that the possibilities are huge.

I am just put off by Revell's inconsistent QC.

On 22/03/2024 at 04:17, Pete in Lincs said:

Hunters look best in fresh gloss or well used like this. This one has certainly done it's time.

Hunters look great in any condition!

I find it much harder to depict a clean airframe. Often, the results tends to be toy-like IMO. It takes a lot of subtlety in the weathering to achieve a somewhat realistic result.

I have tried to work towards that goal on my latest builds with more or less satisfaction. 

I still enjoy the odd weatherbeaten warrior, though.😁

• Like 1

Hi @SebTartar...thank you for all your support.  Would it be alright if you moved your conversations from my thread to somewhere that is more your own?

I haven't begun to build my model and already it feels as like you're taking over.  Many thanks.🙂  Happy modelling! 

Outstanding work on all facets of this model. Could you elaborate on your use of “felt tip pens” during weathering. I don’t recall hearing of that technique before. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Wayne B said:

Outstanding work on all facets of this model. Could you elaborate on your use of “felt tip pens” during weathering. I don’t recall hearing of that technique before. Thanks.

I'd like to second this comment and request as your paneling and subtle weathering are absolutely sublime !

Edited by Airbusboy
  • Thanks 1

On 24/03/2024 at 14:53, Wayne B said:

Could you elaborate on your use of “felt tip pens” during weathering. I don’t recall hearing of that technique before. Thanks.

12 hours ago, Airbusboy said:

I'd like to second this comment

I will try to remember to take some pictures when I weather the IAF Meteor and provide some explanations with them.

Basically, I use them like you would use oils for the oil dot technique.

It works best on a satin surface as the effects are erased too easily on a glossy surface and a matt surface will absorb the ink straight away

I use Faber Castell pens with the finest tip I can find (S or B):

• Dirt /Grease accumulation: I apply small dots of colour around the area that I want to weather. Then, I fade the dots using a dry flat brush (preferably used) in a stippling motion. 
  • Streaks: I make a short streak following the relative wind or the rain with the felt tip pen. Then, I stretch it (in and out motion) using a flat brush. I use the brush dry or barely moistened in water. I sometimes use a ligthly moistened Tamiya cotton buds instead of a brush, essentially to reduce the width of the streak by thinning its edges. For really short streaks, I stretch a dot of coulour.

I repeat the process, sometimes with different colours, until happy with the result.

If I mess it up, I erase with a cotton bud dipped in water.

2 hours ago, SebTartar said:

I will try to remember to take some pictures when I weather the IAF Meteor and provide some explanations with them.

Basically, I use them like you would use oils for the oil dot technique.

It works best on a satin surface as the effects are erased too easily on a glossy surface and a matt surface will absorb the ink straight away

I use Faber Castell pens with the finest tip I can find (S or B):

• Dirt /Grease accumulation: I apply small dots of colour around the area that I want to weather. Then, I fade the dots using a dry flat brush (preferably used) in a stippling motion. 
  • Streaks: I make a short streak following the relative wind or the rain with the felt tip pen. Then, I stretch it (in and out motion) using a flat brush. I use the brush dry or barely moistened in water. I sometimes use a ligthly moistened Tamiya cotton buds instead of a brush, essentially to reduce the width of the streak by thinning its edges. For really short streaks, I stretch a dot of coulour.

I repeat the process, sometimes with different colours, until happy with the result.

If I mess it up, I erase with a cotton bud dipped in water.

Thanks. I’m looking forward to seeing that, with more specific info on pen type etc. The results on your Hunter speak for themselves, and I’m all in on techniques that can be undone if they don’t work out. Thanks again.

• Thanks 1