1/72 Spitfire XII!

Seahawk

4 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

On the latest Hannants hot news sheet: reissue of the Xtrakit Spitfire XII.

I thought you were alerting us to a kit of a Spitfire XIII for a moment there, this is better though, I'll be up for one I reckon, reputation not withstanding. :)

Steve.

Just a pity Eduard/Arma/Airfix/SH etc. are not releasing it as then it would be a reasonable kit, but still very welcome none the less so will be buying one.

That said if it is anything like the SH Mosquito and Frrom-Azur Fairey Battle then who knows when?

Pat.

• Sad 1

I do not have fond memories with the Xtrakit XII. 

That said, it will still be the easiest route to a XII for the average modeller. Swapping Spitfire noses is not for everyone.

So 3 cheers to Hannants for doing this. I also notice that they have included some nice new assessories in this edition

/Finn

PS: For the record, IMHO the XII is the best looking Spitfire. The XIV  and later is just too brutish looking

PPS: I have 4 XII in my collection, so will pass this one

• Like 3

I'm definitely not up to swapping noses as my skills are far more modest but happy to put the leg work in in terms of filling and filing to get there so very pleased that this kit has been re-released and just waiting for mine to arrive from Hannants.

Sort of given up on any other manufacturers ever doing the XII, and the Brigade conversion is too crude, so this is as good as it gets for now.

Pat.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PatG said:

I'm definitely not up to swapping noses as my skills are far more modest but happy to put the leg work in in terms of filling and filing to get there so very pleased that this kit has been re-released and just waiting for mine to arrive from Hannants...

Watch out for the geometry of the nose. I had something not circular at the very front, narrower than the spinner. In other respects is like the Sword kit, meaning that you will want to look out in the cockpit area, behind the seat to make sure that the canopy will fit ( my cockpit cover was too narrow for the unmodified fuselage).

/Finn

• Thanks 1

I was lucky enough to be at Telford and couldn't help but get one from the Hannants stall.  😁

Looking at the contents, it WILL be a challenge for my skills but I've always liked the Mk XII (see my avatar on the left) so had to go down this route as I don't think I could do a conversion.  The 3D decals look useful for the cockpit area but I've never used that sort of thing before so can't say how good/bad they're likely to be.

They still had some stock on the Sunday lunchtime, but quite a lot less than Saturday morning!!

Can't see me starting this until next year, so I'm sure someone else will start a wip sooner.

cheers

Rob

Edited by Zephyr91
speeling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a pretty long and detailed discussion a few years back on the best 1/72 XII kit and the best way to go about a conversion. I also echo the comments regarding the Xtrakit Mk XII- I had one and the nose contours were not symmetrical, and it was rather crude; I think I saved the prop, spinner, and decals. If it is true that Hannants obtained the Paragon resin detail/conversion set molds, then they should consider re-releasing the Mk XII conversion, one of which I have; It  is to be joined to a suitable Mk VIII or Mk IX kit, depending upon if you want a fixed or retractable tail wheel. example. It is an excellent conversion, and the ones I have  seen built looked great! Maybe Eduard will bless us with a new-tool as they expand their Spitfire releases, in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales!

Mike

Here's what the Paragon conversion looked like- if you can find one, I highly recommend buying it, if it doesn't involve selling one of your children into slavery!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/paragon-designs-72059-spitfire-mkxii-conversion--1005637

Or, you could always do it the same way Supermarine did- crosskit a Griffon engine nose onto a Mk Vc, VIII, or Mx IX airframe and make the other modifications, with the four blade prop/spinner being the hardest part- just remember the Griffon nose of  the XII was five inches shorter than the one on a Mk XIV, as it only had a single stage supercharger, IIRC.

• Like 2

I built the original to an acceptable result, and my standards aren't that bad nor my abilities great.  I'm a bit sad that the rarest* of my models is now available for any Tom Dick or Harry.

(* I almost wrote 'most unique', thinking I worked for the Australian Broadcasting Commission).

• Haha 3

On 11/16/2023 at 5:24 PM, 72modeler said:

If it is true that Hannants obtained the Paragon resin detail/conversion set molds, then they should consider re-releasing the Mk XII conversion, one of which I have; It  is to be joined to a suitable Mk VIII or Mk IX kit, depending upon if you want a fixed or retractable tail wheel. example. It is an excellent conversion, and the ones I have  seen built looked great! 

Nope, the masters/patterns/moulds were never sold on to anybody.

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

AFAIK  the Paragon moulds and masters stayed with the owner @Neil  who had other things to do since then.   

Troy is correct, I still own and possess ALL of the moulds and masters from the entire Paragon Designs range, at the time I simply did not have the need to sell them on.

Neil.

B)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Neil said:

...Troy is correct, I still own and possess ALL of the moulds and masters from the entire Paragon Designs range, at the time I simply did not have the need to sell them on...

I've said before, but I'll say it again: We respect your choices, but damm, you're missed 😀

/Finn

• Like 4

With Christmas coming has anyone built the CMR kit as I could always put it on my wish list to Santa and see if there are any takers as Hannants have had in stock for quite some time? Personally I wouldn't consider spending almost £35 on a 72nd scale fighter but.

I've never built a resin kit so would this be more of a challenge than the Xtrakit model?

Pat.

45 minutes ago, PatG said:

With Christmas coming has anyone built the CMR kit as I could always put it on my wish list to Santa and see if there are any takers as Hannants have had in stock for quite some time? Personally I wouldn't consider spending almost £35 on a 72nd scale fighter but.

I've never built a resin kit so would this be more of a challenge than the Xtrakit model?

Pat.

Yes, I'd say so. In itself a resin kit isn't difficult, it just requires a set of skills and techniques specific to that media, e.g. you glue with cyano and have very little if any time to adjust. On top of that, you are supplied with a vacform canopy which you need to be confortable with. 

So don't... Or jump into the deep end...  It's your time and money. If having a XII on the shelf is important, you will probably overcome any difficulties, but it will come at a price.

I ditched mine after a prolonged period of assembling and correcting and whatnot. I wasn't too fond of the fat fuselage in any case and I have had reasonable succes swabbing noses on styrene plastic Spitfires, so that's my chosen path.

/Finn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

I've said before, but I'll say it again: We respect your choices, but damm, you're missed 😀

/Finn

You got that right! We do miss you, Neil! I have your Paragon Spit prototype conversion,  the XII conversion, the B-26K upgrade set, , and the Mosquito XVIII conversion, and they are all incredible! Thank you for all the wonderful products, and I wish you and yours nothing but the best!

Mike

I put a review of my build on the now - lost SMAKR model website FWIW.  If I recall, the moulds are from Sword.  Certainly the kit had a very strong resemblance to the look and feel of a Sword kit, and the mananger of Hannants wrote to SMAKR to clarify my speculation about the origin of Xtrakit models.