Airfix 2024 (Again)

wellsprop

As a reminder for everyone as its that time of year again when excitement and fat fingers make extra work for the Mods :)

• As soon as the Airfix range is announced, this thread will be locked off (the timer function will be used to coincide)
  • Discussion about the individual releases should move to the Rumourmonger and not for example:
    • Aircraft - Cold War
    • Maritime
    • Armour
    • Vehicles
    • Whatever random location seems sensible in your haste to be the first to post
  • Threads popping up in the wrong place to discuss that particular kit release will just be locked off
  • Check before trying to be the first in posting that thread. It may already be present and if so, yours will be canned 🗄️. Its not a race 🏁 :) 
  • Airfix may well release something that has been kitted many, many times before; maybe even by them. But its their circus 🎪,they don't need any more clowns advertising their availability and willingness to provide advice on why its not required and what they should have done instead :clown:
  • Teddy:bear: being thrown in the corner because of your particular pet subject being ignored will not work with the mods or the members

Good luck with whatever you have got your particular fingers crossed for! Or in @Martian's case, tentacles.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

If we don't get that 1/16 scale Haunebu that I have been badgering Airfix about for years, I shall scream and scream and scream until you are all sick and then use my 1/1 scale Haunebu to reduce Margate to a fiery wasteland! :dalek1:As for my tentacles Mr @Greg B, you leave them out of this. They are a Martian's own private kingdom and I shall defend them with @Mike's life! 

Provoked of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Martian said:

If we don't get that 1/16 scale Haunebu that I have been badgering Airfix about for years, I shall scream and scream and scream until you are all sick and then use my 1/1 scale Haunebu to reduce Margate to a fiery wasteland! :dalek1:As for my tentacles Mr @Greg B, you leave them out of this. They are a Martian's own private kingdom and I shall defend them with @Mike's life! 

Provoked of Mars 👽

You would probably cause a few million pounds worth of improvements...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

From this week’s workbench:

New Year means new Airfix kit announcements

One of the few benefits of us all going back to work at the start of any new year is that we do so in the sure and certain knowledge that we are about to be transfixed by a spectacular new collection of Airfix model kits, with the launch of the latest Airfix range. Featuring a collection of new tooling projects, new scheme options and artwork for some range favourites and the return of some kit classics, range launch day usually sees the Airfix website struggling to cope with all the additional traffic, as thousands of people rush to take a first look at what kits might be tempting them over the coming months and if our designers have been hard at work producing a newly tooled example of their own favourite modelling subject.

Range launch this year will be taking place at 4pm on Tuesday 9th January, so things will hopefully have settled down by the time you get home from work, allowing you to spend a few uninterrupted minutes inspecting all the new kits we have in store for you throughout 2024. We will, of course, be posting a range overview edition of Workbench next week, where we will be taking a closer look at some of the significant additions to the range, before moving on to feature all the new tooling additions to the 2024 range in more detail over the next few months. By the time we have covered everything, we'll be ready for range launch 2025 - how time flies when you're an Airfix modeller!

No giveaways there, only plural new tools, so we should get at least 2

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Martian said:

and then use my 1/1 scale Haunebu to reduce Margate to a fiery wasteland! :dalek1:

Leave Margate alone😱. It needs improving but I happen to live near there 🤣🤣🤣🤣 😕 😞 🤗

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Greg B said:

Teddy:bear: being thrown in the corner because of your particular pet subject being ignored will not work with the mods or the members

Way to stir up the coals, Moderator!

This is a dim exercise.

I'm in.  All signs point to a 1/35 5.5" field gun (barrage) and Martian 6 x 6 prime mover (payload).  Decals and paint for postwar British, Pakistani, and South African versions (Angola adventure!).  It's obvious.  There's no available injection molded kit for either of these beasties.

OK. Let's be really silly.

1/48 Sunderland 

If only.

Dick

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’d be happy if I at least got one right! 
Cheers.. Dave 

If its any consolation (probably not...) I was on the same wavelength Dave...

"Barrage" - something naval - could be a Battleship - or anti-aircraft. Re-release of the 40mm Bofors gun & tractor or 88mm gun & tractor in the Airfix Classics series.

"Daring" - re-release of 1/350 Type 45 HMS Daring 

"Spectrum" - Got to be Angel Interceptor 

"Payload" - maybe something with things under it's wings... SEPECAT Jaguar?  

"Battle-Tested" - Could be anything really, but agree sounds like a heavy hint to the Fairey variety... 

• Like 1

I wonder if it's not time for Airfix to release a new variant of their (third) 1/72 Mosquito, originally issued some 5? years ago.

Some sharp-eyed BM follower noted that the sequence of sprues was missing a digit/letter, so further issues are clearly planned.

But what?  A single stage bomber or 2 stage fighter.

In just over a week we will know, but for me an irrelevance as I have 4 x Tamiya variants, two with the original Arma (now I think Brengun) 2 stage conversions.  All  un-started.

I reckon they'll be releasing some 1:72 sausages and eggs as part of their new range of food-stuffs models for the 1:72 modellers. It would enable modellers to add sausage butties to all their dioramas and it's exactly what the world has been waiting for all these years :yes: ...and if they don't release it, I'll have a massive paddy and throw all my toys out of my pram.  Harrumpf!  :angry:

In other news, they're supposed to be announcing it all on the 9th Jan, so quit abusing your keyboards and getting your hopes up. :tease:  That way leads to disappointment (someone's bound to get shirty about it), and madness (the reason why they get angry).  Roll on the 9th.  I'm looking forward to whatever it is they've created for us, and if it's in 1:48 for pyanes, 1:24 brum-brums, or 1:35 clanky-shooties, I'll be even happier :D

• Haha 1

Trouble is the new stuff is really good. I only do 1/48 but for some reason bought a1/24 Typhoon, then a Hellcat, then a Spitfire 9. I even started yearning for their range of V bombers, but realised in time that I wanted to stay married. 

And my local model shop is.....

The Hornby Visitor's Centre. 

Life gets so difficult as you get older.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Denford said:

I wonder if it's not time for Airfix to release a new variant of their (third) 1/72 Mosquito, originally issued some 5? years ago.

Some sharp-eyed BM follower noted that the sequence of sprues was missing a digit/letter, so further issues are clearly planned.

But what?  A single stage bomber or 2 stage fighter.

In just over a week we will know, but for me an irrelevance as I have 4 x Tamiya variants, two with the original Arma (now I think Brengun) 2 stage conversions.  All  un-started.

Thinking a bit bigger...what about a re-release of the 1/24 Mossie its been what, over a decade? Bomber version?

TT

13 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Possible, though probably not, in order not to deflect attention for the next 1/24

Alas no easy re-issue in different variants as it was 'predigital'

Edited by Denford
repeat of message immediately above

Nothing stopping a new sprue of parts being added to the original analogue sprues hough I wouldn't have thought which they would need to do as a new canopy at least would be required. 

Given the original kit seems to be north of £200 on ebay these days - and we know that Airfix DO keep an eye on what second hand kits go for...

TT

5 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Given the original kit seems to be north of £200 on ebay these days - and we know that Airfix DO keep an eye on what second hand kits go for...

TT

Probably the tax man too going by the recent posts on here :D.  Just imagine - sections in the tax office with inspectors going "No I'm Airfix on E-bay - You want him next door he's Tamiya on Etsy"

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Modeller said:

a re-release of an RAF Nimrod MR.2,

That would be quite welcome.... in a few years once I'm done with uni so have the time and space to build it...

28 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

That would be quite welcome.... in a few years once I'm done with uni so have the time and space to build it...

Oh mate you won't! Job, marriage, kids - I'd say about 20 years and you'll be back in the hobby 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, jenko said:

Leave Margate alone😱. It needs improving but I happen to live near there 🤣🤣🤣🤣 😕 😞 🤗

Best take that up with @Greg B then; this is the sort of thing that happens when you go prodding sleeping Martians and ones that are suffering from one of your disgusting Earthling bugs to boot.

Fractious of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I do wonder what Airfix base their choices on.

It did look like the new Spitfire IXc was well received. A new Me109 or P-51 to the same standard would possibly have similar reaction. Or re-release the Mosquito with the BIV as an option?

The 1/48th Sea King,, Buccaneer and Gannet looked good as well so another 1/48 foldy like the F-4K could have all the options of their 1/72 version but without all the many extra parts. Or just re-release the Sea Vixen.

If they did the Angel Interceptor in 1/72 or even 1/48th I would enjoy a simple all white scheme. Or just  re-release the TSR-2.

Some Thunderbirds or other TV classics like DSV Liberator, Stingray or Fireball XL5. Or just re-release Wallace and Gromit in time for their new film.

• Like 1

From the latest workbench:

"before moving on to feature all the new tooling additions to the 2024 range in more detail over the next few months. By the time we have covered everything, we'll be ready for range launch 2025 - how time flies when you're an Airfix modeller!".

That sounded a bit forced. Does that mean they are releasing a Hawks Miller HM-1? Almost certainly not but it is harmless fun looking for double meanings in their announcements. But it would look nice in 1/48.

Edited by Pete F
  • Like 1