1:48 Brewster B339 Buffalo, 25 Sqn RAAF

Hi All,

My latest completion is Tamiya's Brewster Buffalo. I've chosen to complete this as an RAAF example, A51-13 of 25 Sqn RAAF, based at RAAF Dunreath, Western Australia, 1942. 25 Sqn were tasked with the air defence of Perth, and this aircraft was flown by Flt Sgt J Bailey. Here's a couple of photos of the aircraft (and presumably the aforementioned pilot?):

Brewster-Buffalo-Model-339-23-RAAF-1-PRU

Brewster-Buffalo-Mk-I-RAAF-25-Sqn-A51-13

The build was OOB, with marking masks cut on a Silhouette Portrait. Here's a link to the WIP if anyone is interested:

This was part of an informal group build with my esteemed companions @mark.au and @AliGauld - many thanks for the pleasure of your company along the journey gentlemen, it has been great fun. With that, here's the photos:

20230717-170649.jpg

20230717-170650.jpg

20230717_170658.jpg

20230717_170711.jpg

20230717_170722.jpg

20230717_170734.jpg

20230717_170737.jpg

Here's a couple of final shots with a homegrown fighter of similar stance and proportion:

20230717_170800.jpg

20230717_170801.jpg

It's nice to have this unusual aircraft in RAAF colours, and it's a great addition to the collection. Thanks to all those who have provided kind words and encouragement along the way - it has been much appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 56
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a cracking model, great work on this little beaut.  I do like the RAAF scheme too.

Now what's next ???

Great work fella.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - a few options under consideration for the next build!

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Very nicely done! Bravo:clap2:

Thanks very much!

8 hours ago, John_W said:

That's realy nice. Great build.

Thanks for the kind words John - much appreciated!

7 hours ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

That is a beautiful Buffalo. It looks fantastic!

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

A cracker Roger,

I really must do an RAAF scheme soon.

The Anson may just have moved up the list and it's all your fault. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - very much looking forward to that!

• Like 4

I love this pugnacious little fighter  and your model is a super rendition of it. I think the finish is really well done beautifully subtle.

Ditto the Boomerang in the later pictures, I think what draws me to these and other early war allied aircraft is that many (not all)of them where

outclassed by the opposition particularly the under strength squadrons that faced the Japanese in late 1941 and 1942. The pilots new this and yet every day they took to the air to face a relentless onslaught in order to help their comrades fighting an equally overwhelming enemy on the ground.

True heroes each and every one of them. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Richard S said:

I love this pugnacious little fighter  and your model is a super rendition of it. I think the finish is really well done beautifully subtle.

Ditto the Boomerang in the later pictures, I think what draws me to these and other early war allied aircraft is that many (not all)of them where

outclassed by the opposition particularly the under strength squadrons that faced the Japanese in late 1941 and 1942. The pilots new this and yet every day they took to the air to face a relentless onslaught in order to help their comrades fighting an equally overwhelming enemy on the ground.

True heroes each and every one of them. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks very much Richard, I could not agree more - the definition of bravery indeed.

Cheers,

Roger

That's a beautifully well made and finished model. You've portrayed the Buffalo well. The different greens between the Boomerang and the Buffalo are shown well. Presumably RAF dark Green vs Foliage green.

Model Cobber

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Model cobber said:

That's a beautifully well made and finished model. You've portrayed the Buffalo well. The different greens between the Boomerang and the Buffalo are shown well. Presumably RAF dark Green vs Foliage green.

Model Cobber

Thanks very much MC - the same paints were used for both but I faded the Boomerang a little more. Appreciate the kind words!

2 hours ago, Mattp7999 said:

Very nice build of the Buffalo and a different scheme which I don't think I've seen before. Very well done.

Many regards

Matt

Thanks very much Matt!

Well done on your Buffalo.  You have to feel sorry for this much aligned fighter.  To start with, giving your fighter the nickname "Buffalo" pretty much shows you are not in tune with the image a fighter should portray.  Sorta like referring to the B-17 Flying Cow.  Just not the same vision as a "Flying Fortress".  Sometimes you just have to use what you have to bring to the fight and hope it is enough for right then.  A lot of times, you don't have to win, just be too painful to the other side to win most often works.  Great Buffalo and just a smashing Boomerang.  (Now see, the image of a slicing through the air boomerang quickly turning back on you is way more evoking of a fighter image than a plodding, plunderous Buffalo ambling out to ram you.)  Thanks for sharing both. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, georgeusa said:

pretty much shows you are not in tune with the image a fighter should portray.  Sorta like referring to the B-17 Flying Cow.  Just not the same vision as a "Flying Fortress"

Interesting sentiment George..

RJ Mitchell who was responsible for the Spitfire on hearing the  name for his new fighter remarked.." Spitfire?  That' just the sort of bloody silly name they would give it." The name Spitfire was suggested by Sir Robert MacLean, director of Vickers at the time, who called his daughter Ann "A little spitfire"  It was the right name though a morale boosting name for sure.. 

I believe the B17 was called the "Flying Fortress" in a US paper's pre war article due to the number of defensive guns making it 'invincible' certainly in close formation flying ... these things never work out in real life of course. The USAAF considered a hiatus of operational daylight flying in late 1942 as they suffered heavier and heavier numerically unsustainable losses on their daylight raids against Germany. Whilst the RAF got one bomb in 10 within 5 miles of the aiming point ( The Butt Report)   It's an interesting area of study WW2 RAF  Night Area Bombing v USAAF Daylight Precision Bombing. both with sound strategic reasons behind them and the only way to carry the war to directly to the enemy at that point in the war. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

A pair of Beauties Dunny! 

Thanks very much Andy - glad you like them!

5 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Well done on your Buffalo.  You have to feel sorry for this much aligned fighter.  To start with, giving your fighter the nickname "Buffalo" pretty much shows you are not in tune with the image a fighter should portray.  Sorta like referring to the B-17 Flying Cow.  Just not the same vision as a "Flying Fortress".  Sometimes you just have to use what you have to bring to the fight and hope it is enough for right then.  A lot of times, you don't have to win, just be too painful to the other side to win most often works.  Great Buffalo and just a smashing Boomerang.  (Now see, the image of a slicing through the air boomerang quickly turning back on you is way more evoking of a fighter image than a plodding, plunderous Buffalo ambling out to ram you.)  Thanks for sharing both. 

Thanks very much George - an unusual name for an unusual aircraft, but flown by brave men nonetheless...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi Roger, 

That looks super. The faded paint job is brilliant, subtle and restrained. 

Nice to see an Aussie Buffalo finished to such a high standard. 

Thanks for sharing 

Kevin 

Thanks for the kind words Kevin - much appreciated! I couldn't resist an Aussie version as they are not often seen...

Hi Roger,

Very nice build! Just a note for anyone wanting 100% accuracy for RAAF home based Buffalos - The Australian based (rather than Singapore based) aircraft were similar to

F2-A3's and had a longer fuselage. The extra length was between the windscreen and the firewall (ahead of the wing leading edge). Special Hobby has a kit which covers this version. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/special-hobby-sh48057-buffalo-model-339-23-in-raaf-and-usaaf-colors--112191

The kit isn't as easy to build or as sharp as the Tamiya though.

You're correct about the 1st picture showing John Bailey. He wrote an autobiography with some pictures including this one.

https://www.elizabethsbookshop.com.au/shop/latest-arrivals/buffalos-boomerangs-and-kittyhawks-memoirs-of-an-raaf-wwii-pilot/

Regards

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael louey said:

Hi Roger,

Very nice build! Just a note for anyone wanting 100% accuracy for RAAF home based Buffalos - The Australian based (rather than Singapore based) aircraft were similar to

F2-A3's and had a longer fuselage. The extra length was between the windscreen and the firewall (ahead of the wing leading edge). Special Hobby has a kit which covers this version. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/special-hobby-sh48057-buffalo-model-339-23-in-raaf-and-usaaf-colors--112191

The kit isn't as easy to build or as sharp as the Tamiya though.

You're correct about the 1st picture showing John Bailey. He wrote an autobiography with some pictures including this one.

https://www.elizabethsbookshop.com.au/shop/latest-arrivals/buffalos-boomerangs-and-kittyhawks-memoirs-of-an-raaf-wwii-pilot/

Regards

Michael

Thanks very much for that Michael - I must admit that now I examine the photos again the fuselage does look longer (certainly did not pick it up at thd time!) Appreciate the extra information...