"Is this Britain's most unique fighter jet?"

cmatthewbacon

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

A jet in relation to an airplane is one propulsed by a jet engine, instead of a prop or sail ( sic! )

If this jet then serves as fighter instead of  as a bomber or ( passenger) transport.. them it may be a fighter jet... instead of a passenger jet...

But what do know I... as a non native ... :wall:

"Most unique" of course misses some attributes... as of what... design, numbers built, color-scheme, performance, versatility... etc.  ;)

If I look at RAF jets, including jet bombers, the more pure British they were, the more "unique" as well.... 

Just look at Vampire, Hunter, Lightning, Harrier, Canberra, Victor, Vulcan, Comet, ...

There are hardly any very similar planes out there.. 

After 14 years working for a company that refurbished and did not 'overhaul' gas turbine engines which are in fact a form of internal combustion engine. 

No such thing as a 'jet' engine anymore so perforce jet fighters and fighter jets don't exist. 

OK I admit there were turbojet engines as opposed to turbofan and turboshaft engines. But they are now generally obsolete and all current gas turbine powered aircraft are not powered by 'jets'

So jets no longer exist. 

QED😏

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I think that you need to look further into French designs of the 50s.  Perhaps the most varied set of prototypes from anywhere.  And the Vixen was not closely related to the Vampire/Venom.

It's 'cos the French didn't get any Germans.... or weren't temperamentally disposed to listen to the ones they did get.... 😜

best,

M.

(The above is a joke, before anyone gets offended....)

best,

M.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

It's 'cos the French didn't get any Germans.... or weren't temperamentally disposed to listen to the ones they did get.... 😜

best,

M.

(The above is a joke, before anyone gets offended....)

best,

M.

Have you seen the Leduc?

I saw it in Le Bourget, mind blown. Absolutely unique.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, noelh said:

Have you seen the Leduc?

Which one? there were at least three - the 0.10, the 0.21 and the 0.22. I think the 0.22 was uniquest. ;)

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, noelh said:

Have you seen the Leduc?

Bear in mind that the Leduc 0.10 is pretty much a copy of the Miles M.52. So absolutely unique apart from looking like another aircraft. That's the trouble with superlatives - they're like buses...

• Haha 3

Okay, you want a unique-looking aeroplane. Search for the Beriev Bartini VVA-14. I challenge anyone to come up with another aircraft that flew that looks substantially like this oddball. If someone had walked into Gerry Anderson's office with a model of it saying it should be the next Thunderbirds' design, Mr. Anderson would have laughed him out of the room.

Best Regards,

From the Truly Unique Jason (which is probably not a bad thing...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"Iconic". The most over-used, misused word in the English language. I once saw Hello Kitty described as "iconic". "Behold, worshippers - kneel before the icon of Hello Kitty!" A favourite of newscast talking heads too lazy to think of an alternative. Also bad - "fighter jet" (I saw Tom Cruise's P-51D described as a "fighter jet" - apparently anything with metal wings is a "fighter jet") and "altercation" - used to cover any kind of confrontation - argument, brawl, scuffle, assault, loud scolding.

John

• Like 2

On 04/06/2023 at 10:24, gingerbob said:

And yet you don't hear them yakking about a 'bomber jet'

Don't tell Joni Mitchell ... check out the lyrics for 'Woodstock'

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

I once saw Hello Kitty described as "iconic".

It's merely a Japanese ripoff of the Dutch original. ;)

Another thing I notice on the BBC - the misuse of "literally". I.e., "the supporters literally explode with joy!". Ehm... luckily they didn't. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

When did we start using age as an excuse for ignorance?

Lots of things I know are "before my time" - conversely, I am totally uninterested in quite a lot of things "of my time". 

Another one - I know someone at work (not a close colleague, Cthulhu be praised) who will categorically refuse to watch any movie that is over four years old, since "boring old movies are just a waste of time, innit". 

His loss. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

21 hours ago, noelh said:

After 14 years working for a company that refurbished and did not 'overhaul' gas turbine engines which are in fact a form of internal combustion engine. 

No such thing as a 'jet' engine anymore so perforce jet fighters and fighter jets don't exist. 

OK I admit there were turbojet engines as opposed to turbofan and turboshaft engines. But they are now generally obsolete and all current gas turbine powered aircraft are not powered by 'jets'

So jets no longer exist. 

QED😏

:D

again... not native English .... but wasn't the "jet" the way propulsion worked,  aka through a jet I.e. gas at higher speed through a nozzle and not the way way the compressor was designed in relation to the turbine??

the fan was a later differentiation... and just describes how much if the propulsion jet went through the turbine?

what about is propfan?

A turboprop on rhe other hand... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My current pet hate is the wrong or inappropriate use of “me”, “myself” and “I”… You hear awful drivel spilling from mouths like “me and my wife”, “my wife and me”, and everyone seems to have forgotten to use “I”! 

It’s all depressing :( 

• Like 6

Indeed. Especially those who feel that simply using the words whom and myself indicate a certain level of sophistication. They're not wrong, to be fair.

It might indicate a significantly higher level of sophistication were they to restrict usage to sentences in which an unknown person is the object of the phrase, or which require a first person reflexive pronoun.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

:D

again... not native English .... but wasn't the "jet" the way propulsion worked,  aka through a jet I.e. gas at higher speed through a nozzle and not the way way the compressor was designed in relation to the turbine??

the fan was a later differentiation... and just describes how much if the propulsion jet went through the turbine?

what about is propfan?

A turboprop on rhe other hand... ;)

As I recall it from an issue of Air International decades ago, a propfan, sometimes also known as an Unducted Fan, had a large multi-blade prop at the rear of the engine.  There was a lot of interest in them, and some were even tested, but I'm not aware of any that actually entered production.  I would think that loosing a blade from a propfan engine could have some disasterous consequences.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 4:50 AM, Sabrejet said:

Which one? there were at least three - the 0.10, the 0.21 and the 0.22. I think the 0.22 was uniquest. ;)

What was unique about the Leduc 022? The Nord Griffon also had the same powerplant configuration.

John

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

My current pet hate is the wrong or inappropriate use of “me”, “myself” and “I”… 

Just listen more to 70s roots reggea. I an' I spent too much time in Babylon. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I followed that link and it said that Miffy is a fictional character!!!! 😱 I'm heartbroken. 😭

That's just what our Insectoïd Overlords want you to think!  :)

• Haha 2