1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

Ordered the Kits World 3d cockpit decals but still need to buy the kit, hopefully get it tomorrow from my LHS. Need to find my 3822 for a suitable aircraft I flew from 12 AEF at Turnhouse.

Overall this seems a fine kit, though my copy is also missing one wheel attachment on the extended scissors u/c option. In addition my  front and rear transparencies do show quite a lot of distortion. As John 224 said,  that is not unusual in the real thing, in some transparencies, especially older ones.

Annoying here though and I agree with those who have said this is disappointingly poor QC by Airfix. Not  a deal breaker, no doubt I will buy one more but still - come on folks, we know you can do better! 

John B

• Like 1

Actually just checked mine again and found a similar issue in the wheel department as mentioned above. Not a major issue given I'll likely display as aircraft on the ground but this kind of thing really shouldn't be happening. Also now worried that I might yet discover a problem with my Vulcan kit. Will be avoiding Airfix until they sort their QC.

A lot of people are being kind to Airfix after finding QC faults with their kits, with comments like it's not a deal breaker etc.

It's not like it's a first time thing It's been happening in one way of another for a very long time now. Wonder if people would be as kind to other manufacturers like this, it obviously doesn't seem to worry Airfix as they don't seem to give a fig by the looks and keep repeating the same QC problems

• Like 6

1 hour ago, colin said:

A lot of people are being kind to Airfix after finding QC faults with their kits, with comments like it's not a deal breaker etc.

It's not like it's a first time thing It's been happening in one way of another for a very long time now. Wonder if people would be as kind to other manufacturers like this, it obviously doesn't seem to worry Airfix as they don't seem to give a fig by the looks and keep repeating the same QC problems

Totally agree with this. I've not bought many Airfix kits over last few years but seen plenty other people who have had issues with short shots etc. Other certain companies make similar errors and end up with undesirable nicknames and endless rants.

These companies 'were' and are releasing kits that are right up my street not more Spitfires etc. Rose tinted spectacles springs to mind!

• Like 3

Folks have said the drooping wing issue was fixed, but I just read this in a lovely RFI:  

11 hours ago, keithjs said:

Well, what a delightful little model. I've been waiting for one ( or several) of these for quite a while and I must admit I wasn't disappointed. Delicately moulded throughout, parts go together with a minimum of fuss. Just be sure to clean off all the paint where parts fit together and don't forget to trim off the lower wing locating pins to stop the much mentioned wing droop.

Hannant's delivery, no issues with the undercarriage leg pin. Airfix Margate delivery,  yes pin missing from the leg. Not an issue but show's problem with different batch numbers on production.

Edited by T-21

2 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Folks have said the drooping wing issue was fixed, but I just read this in a lovely RFI:  

Apologies, but that should obviously be the locating pins on the upper wings. My original text has now been rectified.

Edited by keithjs
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Apologies, but that should obviously be the locating pins on the upper wings. My original text has now been rectified.

Dry run with mine produced a 'droopy' wing. All it took as the removal of that inner pin and its all sorted.

9B1F952F-B015-4B41-B920-69C8100FC0C4

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petetasker said:

Dry run with mine produced a 'droopy' wing. All it took as the removal of that inner pin and its all sorted.

9B1F952F-B015-4B41-B920-69C8100FC0C4

Nice one. I'm glad this fix appears to be working for everyone so far.

• Like 1

Maybe rose tinted - but we have a Chippie in 1/48! - the three problems seem to be - naff pins on the wings causing bananawing (tm) - snip em off, easy fix - missing pin from one wheel in extended option (a) how many people build their models in flight v on ground b) at least they thought of providing an extended set - nib of sprue - fixed c) canopies - now that's fair enough, no-one wants a cracked canopy  - mine seem a bit thick but I imagine will be fine under a coat of Klear, no cracks though.

These issues/problems/niggles do seem to overlook a kit that seems accurate in outline and has sublime surface detail decent marking options (wish they'd added the yellow bands though) and the fact that we now have a Chippie in 1/48!

I'm delighted with mine!

TT

• Like 5

I'm delighted with mine too, it's all there and the transparencies don't have flow marks on them.

I have to agree, the surface detail is great, particularly the sublime raised Rivets which are typical of the real aircraft, top marks there Airfix!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Maybe rose tinted - but we have a Chippie in 1/48! - the three problems seem to be - naff pins on the wings causing bananawing (tm) - snip em off, easy fix - missing pin from one wheel in extended option (a) how many people build their models in flight v on ground b) at least they thought of providing an extended set - nib of sprue - fixed c) canopies - now that's fair enough, no-one wants a cracked canopy  - mine seem a bit thick but I imagine will be fine under a coat of Klear, no cracks though.

These issues/problems/niggles do seem to overlook a kit that seems accurate in outline and has sublime surface detail decent marking options (wish they'd added the yellow bands though) and the fact that we now have a Chippie in 1/48!

I'm delighted with mine!

TT

I'm delighted with mine too and enjoying building it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

(a) how many people build their models in flight v on ground

Sorry, but I invariably build 'in-flight' and really appreciate the options Airfix now provide- including the aircrew.

Les

• Like 1

On 01/08/2021 at 17:13, Harry Lime said:

Well that's two of us have a reason to build WD373. My last Chippie flight was in WD373 in 1994, also at 2AEF who were still based at Hurn then. Now without wishing to make you feel too old, I was born in 1979.....

Mark.

I have also flown in WD373; from Hamble 2nd November 1969.   My last flight in a Chippie was in WP832 also from Hamble on June 10th  1972.   But today I recieved my first Chipmunk from Airfix and , like others here am very happy with it. Beautiful fine rivet detail!! Just one part caught my eye while scrutinising the sprues and that is C19, an engine part, that is broken but the bits are still on the sprue. A very easy fix and no dramas!  Just need to wait for my next two orders to turn up and a particular decal set from Xtradecal which includes WK630 of 2 AEF as it is another of the ones I flew in. It was from Shoreham May 9th 1971.   I have already done WD346, the very first Chipmunk I flew in, and built from the Aeroclub injection kit some years ago now.   It will be interesting to compare them.

As an aside I have made four others to 1/72nd, all Airfix,  representing ones I have flown in too!

• Like 3

Mine’s arrived, but I’m seriously considering binning it if any of you want to buy it? I’ve tried dry fitting and can’t get the wing on. Is the centre part supposed to be raised? If it is, then that’s a start.  Without the cockpit in place the front sort of matches, but not quite. With the cockpit in place (and correctly located) the fuselage is too wide and the front of the lower wing is too narrow, so it’s forced backward because of the taper. I’ve got the main spar fitted correctly, so is not a fit issue there. The curvature of the rear fillet doesn’t match the fuselage fillets either. If the front seat is in, then the fuselage is even wider. If anyone can advise, I’d be really grateful. I’ve waited a long time for this kit. If not, then I’ll sell it to the first person. I would write to Airfix, but their standard reply is ‘nobody else has complained.’ If I can work out how, I’ll post pictures.

Edited by Andy Robbins
Spelling

1 hour ago, Andy Robbins said:

Mine’s arrived, but I’m seriously considering binning it if any of you want to buy it? I’ve tried dry fitting and can’t get the wing on. Is the centre part supposed to be raised? If it is, then that’s a start.  Without the cockpit in place the front sort of matches, but not quite. With the cockpit in place (and correctly located) the fuselage is too wide and the front of the lower wing is too narrow, so it’s forced backward because of the taper. I’ve got the main spar fitted correctly, so is not a fit issue there. The curvature of the rear fillet doesn’t match the fuselage fillets either. If the front seat is in, then the fuselage is even wider. If anyone can advise, I’d be really grateful. I’ve waited a long time for this kit. If not, then I’ll sell it to the first person. I would write to Airfix, but their standard reply is ‘nobody else has complained.’ If I can work out how, I’ll post pictures.

Joined my wing and fuselage last night with very little issue, cockpit went inside the fuselage half’s again with no issue. Are you sure your placing the cockpit in the correct position? Front seat should cause any issue, there are little slots on each side below the curve of the dash, the fuselage sides slot in to these.

Pair arrived from Hannants today and both free of the problems that some have found.

Waiting now for the Xtradecal 1960s RAF Turnhouse option for one of them , already have the markings for the other which will be of the RAF Gatow Station Flight aircraft from the Model Alliance RAF Germany 1970-75 Part 2 Sheet which includes Phantoms/Buccaneers/Harrier GR.1/Wessex currently £6.99 from Hannants ( https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML48187?result-token=WEA4R ).

• Like 3