Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc 1/48 Arma Hobby

Seboo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

-Those two parts on the wing sprue; are they paint masks for the wheel well? If so, smart!!!

-With modern digital design methods, it is easy to change the design of a IIb wing to a IIa. But it needs a complete new tool to produce a new wing sprue. 
Or: have a specific, exchangable insert for the part of the wing where the outer gun hatches are. In this case it all conveniently lies within a specific rectangular panel on the wing, the seam can be ”hidden” in the panel line itself. 
Question; have ARMA toolmakers used this technique in the past (1/72)?

Orherwise, I’m impressed with the speed with which the ARMA team has added the IIb to the series! No doubt more marking alternatives (Trop) will follow soon. This is going to become expensive…

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Homebee said:

big-40007-ramka.jpg

Is this "closed" wheel bays I see at each end of the sprue? Finally someone makes this - prerequisite when building in-flight models :D

For those not aware; on the Hurri, the support arm "folded" in when the gear retracted, hence you can't build in-flight without much work. Some Hurricane manufactureres allow for this, but most allow for gear down only. This looks promissing :D 

V.P.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurricane Mk.IIB wing.

Sources: 

https://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2023/11/27/we-have-a-wing-for-1-48-hurricane-mk-iib

https://www.facebook.com/ArmaHobby/posts/pfbid0Ac89Kvxc9KFPN3Ys9JeZkWRmpZMXbyjq2Jj4VayGR6wL7UfMKPWLBs1kqrLneeipl

We already have a wing for the 1/48 Hurricane Mk IIB kit! This is the only part distinguishing this aircraft from the Mk IIC version.

406202000-823825539756929-60078186273864

all-1.jpg

405960823-823826616423488-63412439504379

V.P.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 9:14 PM, Tomas Enerdal said:

IIb arrived today.

No surprises, the new wing is exactly as beautifully executed as the IIc!

I've tried to see from the sprue shots posted, but cannot say for certain - do they include the closed wheels in the IIb release as it may appear from the sprue shot rendition given on the postings so far? 

• Like 1

Sorry, but these parts are not parts for closed wheels (á la Airfix), but rather seem to be painting masks for the wheel wells. I write ”seem” because, after a very quick look, I have not found a mention of them in the building instructions. Their shape indicates a closing/sealing of the wheel well from the outside. 
To me it seems an exellent idea, however! The wheel well needs to be painted before the underside, this seems to be a very smart way of masking it. I will check further and report back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Next release is the 1/48 Sea Hurricane IIc  with 3D printed parts for arrestor hook assembly.  I'll let @Homebee add all the pictures as he's much better at it than me 😁

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, amos brierley said:

the decals nice indeed, but, will need to be replaced.

with what may I inquire?   There are not that many documented Sea Hurricane IIC's.

17 minutes ago, Overflow said:

For the asking price Arma should have tooled their Hurricane way Airfix did, with separate lower fuselage being made in styrene.

I'm surprised they didn't,  the does already have 2 belly panels, and the one from the Airfix kit will fit as well. 

But if the finish  is good, does it matter? 

one minor point, JS310 is a Canadian built Hurricane,  from photos these all seem to have a different radiator intake.

This is a Canadian Sea Hurricane from HMS Vindex

large_000000.jpg

Long complex thread here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086563-hurricane-radiators-is-there-a-tropical-or-later-type-on-the-mkii-and-iv-and-is-there-a-different-canadian-inlet-shape/page/3/#elControls_3957313_menu

well worth a read if you are really interested Hurricane detail.

• Like 3