Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc 1/48 Arma Hobby

Seboo

OK, while some are rightly interested in the finer details of the undercarriage, I have started to build mine as a wheels up in-flight model. As is so often the case , the 'cart doors do not fit their respective holes.

In this contemporary world of CAD design, one has to ask 'Why?'. In passing, I'll give Airfix due regard for their frequent provision of optional parts for such heathens as am  I.

That said, the wings were a (fiddly) joy to put together. Would that Airfix had that trailing edge.

It is simply the gears doors (sans struts) are larger than the bay openings- in modelling terms it is not a big issue but in design terms it is an all too common oversight. and one that must frustrate more than a few.

41 minutes ago, gunzo said:

the 'cart doors do not fit their respective holes.

They don't in reality.

Note final sentence

35568750533_bc6e7a6f46_b.jpgHurricaneBentleynotescrop_zpsc6a2675f by losethekibble, on Flickr

and

KX829 

38146161681_1f4df955c0_b.jpgHawker Hurricane  - P3395 Think Tank 047 by touluru, on Flickr

and L1952

hurricane_mk1_l1592_14_of_26.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, gunzo said:

Interesting observation  insofar as the photo shows such thin metal overlap that pretty well demonstrates my point.

It doesn't really.  You evidently didn't know this,  as the cutting points out, most people don't.   

2 minutes ago, gunzo said:

Fair point and suggests all round overlap but does not adddress the issue of wheels up modelling.

Building wheel up is far popular option, so their kit is not set up to do this. 

Limits of injection moulding mean that they door edges are going to be too thick.  There are always going to be compromises and trade offs, Arsam have chose to mould in the trop vents,  which will need removing, and this requires some care not to mess up the surface detail.  This is a compromise.

You want wheels up and the doors to look like the above , you will need to chamfer the edges of the wells and doors.    The kits is not set up to do this,  but have a look through the RFI sections, have many models are diaplayed gear up?  1 in 30? 1 in 50?   They didn't put a pilot in either. ...

IIRC the only 1/48th Hurricane kits with retracted UC options were the Monogram kit,  which had retracting UC gimmick, and the OLD tool Airfix Mk.I, which had retracted optional parts.  Oh, a quick check reveals the new 1/48th kit offers this as well, though I think you will find both  "sit in the holes" which is not actually correct.... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It doesn't really.  You evidently didn't know this,  as the cutting points out, most people don't.   

Building wheel up is far popular option, so their kit is not set up to do this. 

Limits of injection moulding mean that they door edges are going to be too thick.  There are always going to be compromises and trade offs, Arsam have chose to mould in the trop vents,  which will need removing, and this requires some care not to mess up the surface detail.  This is a compromise.

You want wheels up and the doors to look like the above , you will need to chamfer the edges of the wells and doors.    The kits is not set up to do this,  but have a look through the RFI sections, have many models are diaplayed gear up?  1 in 30? 1 in 50?   They didn't put a pilot in either. ...

IIRC the only 1/48th Hurricane kits with retracted UC options were the Monogram kit,  which had retracting UC gimmick, and the OLD tool Airfix Mk.I, which had retracted optional parts.  Oh, a quick check reveals the new 1/48th kit offers this as well, though I think you will find both  "sit in the holes" which is not actually correct.... 

Looks to me like a perfect case for PE covers..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Looks to me like a perfect case for PE covers..

As it happens I shall be doing exactly this as an add on to another project- in the meantime a couple of tacky waxed  litho doors will suffice. Meanwhile on the matter of compromises,  two canopy profiles are provided in the kit when surely only one of them is 'accurate'.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't know the kit, but I assume that one is for the canopy when closed and the other when open.  In that case then they could indeed be two different shapes and both accurate.

My poor attempt at irony missed the mark.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I could have saved a list of my failed attempts

I'd use up too much drive space if I was to record all my attempts that missed the mark.

• Like 1

The PE gear doors  for a wheels up display is exactly what I did for the 1/72 Arma kit.   It was designed and etched a couple years ago, but with the current discussion only now trying  a dry fit with poster tack to hold in place.   Had to apply some curve to the wheel end of the door in order to sit flat against the wing surface.   Curving action does decrease the amount of available overlap, so need to increase the shape here by a hair or so.   Could use a bit extra length of about 1/2m on top as well.   Looks to be a redo on another future brass sheet.   Think will also apply a half etch from underneath to get an even thinner edge all around going from 0.15mm to 0.075mm. 

PE-gear-door.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, gunzo said:

Meanwhile on the matter of compromises,  two canopy profiles are provided in the kit when surely only one of them is 'accurate'.

Specifically,  Hurricane canopy rails run on curved rails (as noted in the clipping I posted) 

If you post was ironic, you may already know this, but ity's not that well known.

The canopy is thin and flexes as it moves, as this image shows.

Sea%20Hurricane-004.JPG

when open, the front is at the wider point, so it flexes out, and the centre is lower, and the rear flexes in.

sh09.jpg

when shut, the rails are narrower, and the centre sits higher, and the rear flexes out.

sh21.jpg

All from this great walkround

13 minutes ago, JackG said:

Looks to be a redo on another future brass sheet

That's a great detail.  One thing that Part etch used to do on some sheets was a etch canopy framework,  it would be interesting to see if you could do a Hurricane frame to be bonded to some thin clear sheet? 

Maybe too much of a faff, but would be great detail if possible.

Cheers

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JackG said:

The PE gear doors  for a wheels up display is exactly what I did for the 1/72 Arma kit.   It was designed and etched a couple years ago, but with the current discussion only now trying  a dry fit with poster tack to hold in place.   Had to apply some curve to the wheel end of the door in order to sit flat against the wing surface.   Curving action does decrease the amount of available overlap, so need to increase the shape here by a hair or so.   Could use a bit extra length of about 1/2m on top as well.   Looks to be a redo on another future brass sheet.   Think will also apply a half etch from underneath to get an even thinner edge all around going from 0.15mm to 0.075mm. 

PE-gear-door.jpg

Some of the panels could be replaced with PE....🤔

An etch canopy framework is something I had prepared at the same time when the gear doors were done, just have not got around to trying it.   Another option to the clear film would be that canopy glue that dries clear, but it won’t hold up to any dusting.

What I had prepared for the construction phase was a master canopy made from 2part apoxy putty that took the shape of Arma clear plastic piece from the inside.   This would be used to bend the PE frame over top to form the correct shape.   Probably could use it too for the clear film, though not sure if acetate can hold a new shape with applied heat such as from a hairdryer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 7:44 AM, Ed Russell said:

For our Australian customers - the kit should include decals for several aircraft of 451 Sqn. It was an Article XV unit that used MkIIc Hurricanes in 1943 in the North African campaign.

Now released - everyphotographed one (3) and two speculative ones we only have written serial/code tie-ups for.

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/arma-hobby-hurricane-mk-iic-1-48/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine yesterday, had it on pre-order from ARMA.

I'm very happy about the decals (too), the "India white" (light blue) of the roundels and fin flashes is just perfect! Neither too green nor too red, neither too dark nor too light. 

Techmod should really make a special sheet with SEAC roundels & fin flashes, there are oh so many kits and aftermarket decals out there, waiting for replacements!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guess its Hurrican, not Hurricannot.

As per:

We are currently working on 1/48 scale Hurricane IIb and 1/72 scale P-51D/K. The release date of these kits depends on the work of the tooling workshop, for now, we do not know which kit will be released first.

Edited by SprueMan
  • Like 3