Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc 1/48 Arma Hobby

Seboo

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I'm quite sure I'll be in a minority of one on this based on the other comments on here so far, but I think that the rivet detail looks to be WAY overdone for 1/48. It's a pity, because it looks like a beautifully-detailed kit otherwise (e.g., cockpit, wheel wells). I admittedly haven't got my hands on the kit yet (it's currently in transit from Artscale in the Czech Republic), but based on those photos I fully expect to be taking some serious-grade 'wet and dry' to the wings at least..... 

Edited by hopkp

39 minutes ago, hopkp said:

I'm quite sure I'll be in a minority of one on this based on the other comments on here so far, but I think that the rivet detail looks to be WAY overdone for 1/48. It's a pity, because it looks like a beautifully-detailed kit otherwise (e.g., cockpit, wheel wells). I admittedly haven't got my hands on the kit yet (it's currently in transit from Artscale in the Czech Republic), but based on those photos I fully expect to be taking some serious-grade 'wet and dry' to the wings at least..... 

I think a lot is a combination of a too dark wash and the photography.   

The uppers look overdone, 

360096381_732740278865456_44563223776008

the underside look better

358572610_732740235532127_46177660904912

Note the rivets photos here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077295-hawker-hurricane-mk-iic-148-arma-hobby/page/5/#elControls_4681358_menu

and the links to more photos.

In particular the Finnish plane, which is unrestored.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hopkp said:

They don't look way overdone to me. Sure they are probably larger than they should be for the scale, just like rivets on every 1/48th scale kit, but they look a lot better than the "globe" rivets on Eduards Spitfire Mk.I/V.

• Like 3

What a beautiful model! The surface detail is astonishing, and the wing-to-fuselage fit is almost hard to believe. It is very rewarding and revealing to look at the surface under paint and weathering. The surface detail is very sharp and prominent, I’d call it ”expressive”. 

• Like 2

Just recieved my pair this morning and can concour its a lovely model. What I also like is the fact that they have obviously listened and you now get a nice thick card tray inside instead of the usual flimsy card end opening boxes.

Looking forward to starting it soon.

53042896739_bb6b601c61_b.jpg20230713_114403 

• Like 11

The very sharp and ”pronounced” surface detailing calls for some  adjustments of the weathering methods normally used.
Routinely using a dark wash may result in an exaggerated result , the surface details may seem too pronounced? 
I’m thinking about being very careful with washes, for example:

-Using a wash that is only marginally darker than the background colour, toning down the way a wash enhances surface details. 
-Using a wash that is lighter than the background colour, again toning down the effect. 
-Use of alternate weathering methods, like pastels, toned down drybrushing, etc. 

I expect that using several methods will result in a more varied and interesting result (in fact, always true). In this case, less is certainly more! A too bleak result can always be enhanced by adding more. Toning down a too strong result is always more complicated. 

Painting and weathering this model will certainly be a challenge, to get the best out of this surface detailing. I look oh so very much forward to it. It will be great fun!

Edited by Tomas Enerdal
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

The very sharp and ”promounced” surface detailing calls for some painting adjustments.
Routinely using a dark wash may result in an exaggerated result , the surface details may seem too pronounced? 

One should also keep in mind that publicity shots are often used to bring attention to such details. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 10:37 PM, czaralko said:

time to sell the airfix one…

Now if you'd said 'sell the Hasegawa one' I'd understand - that has been the long-standing Mk.II favourite, finally surpassed.

• Like 1

Hopkp,

have you considered using a glass fibre brush instead of wet n’ dry? A glass fibre brush will reduce all detail evenly, wet n’ dry will only make everything ”flatter”.

My brush is one of my most used and appreciated tools these days. 

Edited by Tomas Enerdal
Spelling
  • Like 2

I got mine today.

Oh dear, I just can't stop drooling. The detail is not as good as on the pics we've seen, it's much, much better. I can't remember seeing anything like it before, detail wise it's a giant leap upwards. I'm speechless.

I definitely believe that reducing this kind of detail in any way will be a mistake, use a VERY fine primer. And as I've said before, painting and weathering it will be an altogether new experience. 

Any modeller after building this, will never be the same again.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Finally got mine as I didn't preorder, so I had to wait for it to appear in the country.

Beautifully molded, the "flush" rivets on the wing are a little bit larger than Arma Hobby 1/72nd P-51 and the latest Eduard kits, but the ones on the leading edge of the wing are slightly finer - is this because they are a smaller rivets on the real thing? Anyway they should be fine under paint, just don't stick a high contrast wash in them. The raised rivets on the wing are quite fine but the ones on the fuselage are even finer and probably the finest I've ever seen on a model.

Notice the raised fastener detail on the gear bay spar - it's got raised fasteners and slightly larger raised fasteners with a very fine hole in the head, which I believe are all blind fasteners on the real thing. I can only just make out those holes in the flesh with my reading glasses and 2.5x Optivisor on and a flash,

Really great looking kit, I'd love to start it now but I've got to much on the go at the moment.

Anwyay here's a few pictures ( click on them 3 times for a larger view ).

53056277997_191ec36ce5_o.jpg

53056277782_d8483b7daa_o.jpg

53057246240_8ea1cb2b59_o.jpg

53057246295_f7ced09da0_o.jpg

53057048209_d3270516e4_o.jpg

53057344403_c399128102_o.jpg

53056277877_eb0c119170_o.jpg

53056277807_741c53310e_o.jpg

53056277982_bcb13a5c77_o.jpg

53057048424_6e3b16b034_o.jpg

53056277947_59fcd2b9fc_o.jpg

53056866981_cbc81b6791_o.jpg

53056866956_aa5a7e7a0c_o.jpg

53056866956_aa5a7e7a0c_o.jpg

53057344408_3c17aca5ed_o.jpg

53056277917_2033095dfa_o.jpg

53056298502_b75f971c73_o.jpg

53056298832_537539f89e_o.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

On 7/13/2023 at 12:00 AM, Troy Smith said:

Note the rivets photos here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077295-hawker-hurricane-mk-iic-148-arma-hobby/page/5/#elControls_4681358_menu

and the links to more photos.

In particular the Finnish plane, which is unrestored.

Yes, I get that in real life the Hurricane (and many other aircraft of the WWII era) had raised rivets, but I just don't think they ever look right at all on small-scale models. Probably has something to do with my having started to build kits anyway seriously in the mid-1970s (though the addiction started even earlier) and thus having memories of having to remove the equivalent of scale soup bowls from the surfaces of most Airfix and Frog kits of that timeframe. The Frog Shackleton is one I have particularly vivid memories of - the wing halves could possibly have themselves been used as sandpaper! 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:37 AM, Tomas Enerdal said:

What a beautiful model! The surface detail is astonishing, and the wing-to-fuselage fit is almost hard to believe. It is very rewarding and revealing to look at the surface under paint and weathering. The surface detail is very sharp and prominent, I’d call it ”expressive”. 

Having gotten mine today, I'd be more inclined to go with 'excessive'! 😀 Still, you know what they say, to each his own.....

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 3:33 PM, Tomas Enerdal said:

Hopkp,

have you considered using a glass fibre brush instead of wet n’ dry? A glass fibre brush will reduce all detail evenly, wet n’ dry will only make everything ”flatter”.

My brush is one of my most used and appreciated tools these days. 

I have a couple of glass fibre brushes but have only ever really seen them as a weapon for polishing brass PE parts. I must give your suggestion a go.....

• Like 1

Mine arrived yesterday; initial reaction is "Sapristi nabolis! This is beyond good ...!". It's gone back into its box for the moment - I can't have YET ANOTHER part-built project on and around the bench, but it's certainly well up the "to Do" list.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but is that a fabric covered tailplane in the photos above?

Yes that what it's suppose to represent. I'm not keen on their representation of the rib tapes though.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I'm not keen on their representation of the rib tapes though.

Me neither, overdone - just like the rivets.

I got mine the other day and quickly decided it wasn't for me, I'm just not feeling the love for it at all. I passed it on to a friend yesterday.....the interior is beautifully done, but I was really disappointed with the surface detail on the wings.

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 2

- ref. 40005 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc Trop

https://www.armahobby.com/40005-hurricane-mk-iic-trop-1-48.html

Kit includes:

• Plastic parts (3 grey sprues and 1 clear sprue)
  • Decals (3 marking variants)
  • Canopy and wheel masks

Marking options:

• Hurricane Mk. IIc trop “Hurribomber”, LB792/C, No. 34 Squadron RAF/SEAC, Dergaon (Assam) i Imphal (Manipur), spring 1944, pilot S/Ldr C.P.N. Newman.
  • Hurricane Mk IIc trop, HL885/AX-Z, No. 1 Squadron SAAF, Lt. Stewart “Bomb” Finney, LG142,  Egypt, September 1942.
  • Hurricane Mk.IIc Trop, HL851/GO-P “The MacRobert Fighter-Sir Iain”, No. 94 Squadron RAF, El Gamil airfield, Egypt 1942-43.

big-40005-web.jpg

big-40005-profile-1.jpg
big-40005-profile-2.jpg
big-40005-profile-3.jpg

big-40005-decals.jpg
big-40004-mask.jpg

big-40004-B.jpg

big-40004-C.jpg

big-40004-A.jpg

big-40004-T.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee