1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

Looks like an SR-71.

1/48 scale.

2021 tooling with modern details.

I know how to use Zap-a-Gap.

🙂

Until you mentioned it, I didn't even know what Zap-a-Gap was, but I surely do now (looked it up on the 'net) and it's on my hobby shopping list!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Until you mentioned it, I didn't even know what Zap-a-Gap was, but I surely do now (looked it up on the 'net) and it's on my hobby shopping list!

WOW!!!

3 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Looks like an SR-71.

1/48 scale.

2021 tooling with modern details.

I know how to use Zap-a-Gap.

🙂

Well, to (mis)quote the old saying, four out of five ain't bad! It certainly looks like an SR-71, it's definitely 1/48 scale and a 2021 tooling, I can use filler.....but I think the jury's probably still out on the 'modern details' bit, as no-one's posted any pics. of them yet! 😄

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 12:53 PM, One 48 said:

I'll be doing mine canopy closed and doubt much cockpit detail will be seen, is the real detail unclassified now? probably is, but in this scale and canopy closed  doubt much will be visible, but do hope its sufficient OOB for most of us, if not am sure there will be AM that 99.9% of aircraft kits seem to need :)

You've been able to sit in an SR-71 cockpit at Seattle's Museum of Flight for at least 20 years - I have a photo of me in it somewhere. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 6:14 PM, Paul Bradley said:

You've been able to sit in an SR-71 cockpit at Seattle's Museum of Flight for at least 20 years - I have a photo of me in it somewhere. 

Apologies for the deployment of the high adenoides, but the aircraft at the Seattle Musuem of Flight is not a SR-71 but an M-21, itself a rare two seat variant of the A-12. I am however insanely envious that you have got to sit in its cockpit, I was supposed to enjoy that experience last year, but unfortunately the Rona put paid to that (as well as, on the same trip, flying to Dayton, Ohio to see the YF-12A - I've made it my mission to see every variant of the Blackbird) 

A dear friend of mine was heavily involved in getting that aircraft ready for display, his company recreating the pod the the D-21 drone sits on and the stands that secure the aircraft, amongst other things. 

52 minutes ago, March said:

Apologies for the deployment of the high adenoides, but the aircraft at the Seattle Musuem of Flight is not a SR-71 but an M-21, itself a rare two seat variant of the A-12. I am however insanely envious that you have got to sit in its cockpit, I was supposed to enjoy that experience last year, but unfortunately the Rona put paid to that (as well as, on the same trip, flying to Dayton, Ohio to see the YF-12A - I've made it my mission to see every variant of the Blackbird) 

A dear friend of mine was heavily involved in getting that aircraft ready for display, his company recreating the pod the the D-21 drone sits on and the stands that secure the aircraft, amongst other things. 

The Museum of Flight seems to think it's an SR-71 - you might want to contact them:

https://www.museumofflight.org/Exhibits/cockpits

11 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

The Museum of Flight seems to think it's an SR-71 - you might want to contact them:

https://www.museumofflight.org/Exhibits/cockpits

There I was in the middle of a strongly worded missive to the museum - but the link does show that they do indeed have an SR-71 cockpit on display which is different to the aircraft I had confused it with, the M-21 (which is the one that it had been arranged for me to sit in). As you were. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - 3D renders+test shots+box art - release November 2021
7 hours ago, hopkp said:

I know I haven't seen the kit yet, but on the basis of that article I think my wallet can safely come out of hiding. The level of detail (particularly in the cockpits and wheel wells) looks decidedly underwhelming?

Not something I would personally consider a problem.

Especially with cockpits buttoned up. Wheel wells not really noticeable unless you pick the model up to look underneath.  Not something I encourage! 😉.

Of course we're all different. For my own personal tastes,  it's detailing appears quite acceptable because these interior areas are places where I tend not to expend a lot of effort.

John

Edited by Beermonster1958
  • Like 3

On 15/10/2021 at 08:39, paulsbrown said:

Are there any big advantages or improvements in the new Revell over the Testors/Italeri offering?  

With all due respect, that's a very subjective question and, will really depend on the view of the individual.

The older kit is rather basic with limited detail

The breakdown of parts made assembly a little tricky but, it built up   into a large, impressive (and sturdy) model.

I also had the 1/48 YF-12A kit to which the same personal view applies.

I'm actually hoping Revell manage to do the latter version at some point.

Others will no doubt disagree and, will wax lyrical about "accuracy" etc or, lack thereof.

That's fair enough and I respect that.

However, I don't bother about such things. I work with what I have. I liked the Italeri kits.

John

Edited by Beermonster1958
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

With all due respect, that's a very subjective question and, will really depend on the view of the individual.

The older kit is rather basic with limited detail but, I thought it built quite easily into a large and impressive model.

I agree that it's fairly subjective. I suppose I just didn't see anything of the new kit that was overwhelmingly better. I'm still tempted, my kit is the YF-12 so a proper SR-71 would still be attractive. 

Overall I applaud Revell for coming out with a new build of such an amazing aircraft and will most likely get one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

I agree that it's fairly subjective. I suppose I just didn't see anything of the new kit that was overwhelmingly better. I'm still tempted, my kit is the YF-12 so a proper SR-71 would still be attractive. 

Overall I applaud Revell for coming out with a new build of such an amazing aircraft and will most likely get one. 

The Revell kit does of course have one advantage - availability -(or soon will have).

It also has the advantage of up to date moulding technology.

The Italeri kits, especially the YF-12A are well nigh impossible to obtain at sensible prices.

I will certainly buy one of the new kits! 😊.

T

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released