1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

16 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

Has anyone had any experience with 1001 Hobbies?

see 

16 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

Why isn't this kit included on the Revell website?

I'm guessing you're looking at the Revell US (.com) site.  Even though the brand & all that are owned by Revell AG, they do not share much between them and offer mostly the ex-RevellOgram line. 

Releases from Revell A.G. (Germany)  are on revell.de . 

7 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Preview video:

modelldoc

Wow, that is actually a lot better than I expected. The engine detail, surface lines and details and wheels in particular are surprisingly fine. It's definitely better designed and moulded than the 32nd Super Hornet.

The wait is killing me right now! 😬😬😬

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think the display stand is a good idea.  Of course that means you can't get away with bodging the underside and hope nobody sees :P

Anyone care to comment on the number of buttons and switches in the cockpit? I mean, there's barely any rivets, so we must pick something to gripe about :P 

/runs away

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I see them on evilbay for $115 cdn. Problem is shipping is $80 cdn. And there’s a flood of Italeri/Testors 1/48 SR-71/YF-12 kits in every possible incarnation, including a Tamiya boxing! The prices are mostly ridiculously higher than the new Revell kit! I suppose some people are trying to trade in the Italeri ones to pay for the Revell kit. I can’t blame them, but $200-400 for the old SR-71 kits is somewhat laughable 😆 Patience is a virtue.

Jeff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

All we need now is for Revell to follow up with a YF-12A

I'd very much like that but would also like to see the sing seat A-12 variant. In my mind, it's the best looking of the Blackbirds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

Then select your choice from the menu... 😁

Nice - you plan to sell these I suppose? STL files or resin castings? Seems I have reason to watch out for the Revell kit now (have build the Testors kit long ago and did not plan to replace it - but an A-12 company...).

3 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Nice - you plan to sell these I suppose? STL files or resin castings? Seems I have reason to watch out for the Revell kit now (have build the Testors kit long ago and did not plan to replace it - but an A-12 company...).

In (near) future why not?

I had also built a Testors 1:48 Blackbird 25 years ago and I started to rebuild/restore it before Revell announced their kit release. Since then this project was suspended. But I can convert it to A-12 or A-12B using 3D printed parts.

1039.jpg

1040.jpg

I caught a bird!.. A blackbird....

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

On 06/12/2021 at 09:13, Alan P said:

Wow, that is actually a lot better than I expected. The engine detail, surface lines and details and wheels in particular are surprisingly fine. It's definitely better designed and moulded than the 32nd Super Hornet.

Doesn't look bad. Details are nice and appears to be reasonably accurate. No obveous quality control or courner cutting manufacturing issues. The seats and cockpits look a bit basic but they're barely going to be visible so that's a reasonable compromise.

Still remains to be seen what the fit is like and how it builds. But these are positive first signs that make me less concerned about the steep asking price.

I haven't watched the video yet but I'm keen to do so, even though I currently have neither funds nor space for the kit!  

15 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

All we need now is for Revell to follow up with a YF-12A

Do not toy with my emotions! That would be incredible. EDIT: having watched the video I think there would be a lot of work required to retool this mould into a YF-12A. But I am no expert on the family, just going by what's on the sprues and the layout (separate nose already?).

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:13 PM, Alan P said:

I don't want to make any of you jealous but last night from DHL (apparently they work very hard) I have received an email that the parcel has been dispatched and will be delivered on Wednesday...  🚚

What can I say? The best price with fast delivery!..

Serkan

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

having watched the video I think there would be a lot of work required to retool this mould into a YF-12A. But I am no expert on the family, just going by what's on the sprues and the layout (separate nose already?).

The fastest solution is 3D printed aftermarket parts...

• Like 1

The separate nose in itself doesn't mean much as the SR:71 could be fitted with three different noses for various role fits, however the rear cockpit canopy comes on a separate small clear sprue, could this suggest thoughts of a YF-12 boxing? Or maybe it's for an SR-71B boxing.

I know little about the cockpit of the deal thing, but what do experts here make of the kits cockpit?  Just seems a little 'clean' for a '60s design.

• Thanks 1

Just had an email from Jumblies, my small detachment of SR-71's is ready for despatch and will be with me on Thursday. Sod Christmas Day, Santa arrives wearing a DPD uniform sometime on Thursday...

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

The separate nose in itself doesn't mean much as the SR:71 could be fitted with three different noses for various role fits, however the rear cockpit canopy comes on a separate small clear sprue, could this suggest thoughts of a YF-12 boxing? Or maybe it's for an SR-71B boxing.

I know little about the cockpit of the deal thing, but what do experts here make of the kits cockpit?  Just seems a little 'clean' for a '60s design.

Interesting thought re other boxings. The YF-12 pilots canopy would different, that I know for sure. We can live in hope though (although I am refusing to cross my fingers). :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, March said:

Just had an email from Jumblies, my small detachment of SR-71's is ready for despatch and will be with me on Thursday. :)

S     A      M     E 🔥🔥🔥🔥🥳🎉💪

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alan P said:
3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Just had an email from Jumblies, my small detachment of SR-71's is ready for despatch and will be with me on Thursday. :)

I'm looking forward to your impressions of the kit.

• Like 2