Tucano T.1 No. 1 FTS RAF.( Get ready for a surprise...)

Paul J

This has been on my shelf of doom for over a year or so. So I decided to try and get on with the scheme I had planned for it as a way of shedding the lack of Mojo. The end result is here after a weeks of evenings doing paint touch ups and decals with some final assembly.

All decals from the Airfix new tool JPT.3/4 that includes all the dayglo, with some modified, wing roundels and unit emblems etc  from one of the options in the kit, a couple roundels and underwing serial from Modeldecal generic sets, fuselage serial ZF406 (from the overall dark blue option) and all stencilling from the Tucano kit, whose decals were very brittle and held together with Klear coated over wanted items a couple times before using. The crew figures had to have some surgery by way of hacking off parts of their bottoms and upper legs as they would not sit down properly enabling the canopy to close. Undercart legs and nose gar from an Aeroclub set as too is the prop.  I do have the Aeroclub seats for the Tucano and have assembled one and  found they do not fit!!! IT seems the cockpit floor is too shallow.....maybe? Kit ones used. A vacform Aeroclub canopy is in the box of remnants but probably won't use it.

HATAKA acrylic paint used for the grey from the RAF Trainer paint set. Sprayed on beautifully!

To the pics:

Fz8DSD.jpg

XUFNWZ.jpg

yfK3JB.jpg

3rlxWz.jpg

t7fOYC.jpg

butXla.jpg

The chap in front seat had his head turned to make it look lifelike and the guy in back a different bone dome. I don't often use figures but in this case It enabled me to avoid making a lash up  of in home made seat belts.

PPdFmq.jpg

Metal main undercart legs used as I found them in the box with the other Aeroclub bits in when I bought the kit 2nd hand but used the kit wheels as they had better hub detail although they may a bit too thin. As it happened the kit legs were missing!!!

Ea7pKv.jpg

fOj1ol.jpg

2RdO4b.jpg

The prop is white metal as too is the spinner. I used these at the last minute as they added the last bit of weight to help it from being a tailsitter. As a personal touch, I opted for a polished spinner. I did paint the plastic part correctly in black and white halves and its prop as a spare'

IpyBnc.jpg

nsJvTr.jpg

The JP donor kit for the decals( more on this one in next post)built at almost the same time as the Tucano was progressing recently

F8lJx3.jpg

The box it came out of.

Why I chose this 'off beat ' scheme you ask? Well I often wondered how some late 20th century RAF types would look if they had a policy of not updating colour schemes  for any amount of reasons. And a Light Aircraft grey with dayglo scheme following on from the JP was the way I went. You could also look at it as a possible special anniversary retro scheme for No.1 FTS. After all they did paint other specials in gaudy or drab camo special one of s didn't they! It looks a bit Chipmunkesque  I think.....

Anyway, I hope you like it. Any comments most welcome.

• Like 42

A great scheme. Nicely thought out.

The black was chosen as it seemed to be easier to see when in the circuit and at a distance.

We did have a dark blue one for displays back when I worked on them.

Back then they were red/white & grey though. Brand new from the factory in Ireland, so you didn't see the panel lines!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments. Keep them coming.  Re panel lines I sometimes do them but only to control surfaces like ailerons rudder elevators.   The kit goes together fairly well no real dramas. The one thing that I will mention is if aftermarket seats are proposed to be used the floor of the cockpit need to be a lot lower and wider between side consoles as otherwise they will not fit. So basically a refabrication of the cockpit would be needed. The kit seats are basic which is part of the reason I fitted the crew.. even they don't fit!!! (see my comment at post 1)

I have toyed with the idea of doing others in retro schemes. Such as the Hawk in light grey and solid dayglo area or even with yellow T bands. Like the two seater Hunters were in RAF and FAA.  Other ideas and thoughts are the Hercules done in white /grey/ blue flash transport command colours like the Belfast and the Belfast in sand brown camo, Nimrod in Shackleton style white top dark grey elsewhere,  Tornadoes with full colour D type roundels and light  grey undersides, like the early Harrier GR.1 and Phantoms. All sorts of back stories could be written to explain them.....Tucan in FAC camo like the Brawdy/ Chivenor  JPs. Loads one could come up with.

To get back to this build, I just thought it would be interesting and a way of using up surplus/spare decals effectively.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

May I suggest a silver with yellow bands scheme as your next challenge?

Pete

I was thinking of a Hawk maybe...??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

Other ideas and thoughts are the Hercules done in white /grey/ blue flash transport command colours like the Belfast

That's not necessarily a 'what-if'. Apart from the Met Flight's W.2, I seem to remember a photo of XV176 at Lockheed-Georgia in something like that scheme in 1966: it wasn't delivered that way, but it wore the scheme for a brief time.

If anyone has Air Pictorials from that time, I think it was a cover shot.

4 hours ago, KevinK said:

That's not necessarily a 'what-if'. Apart from the Met Flight's W.2, I seem to remember a photo of XV176 at Lockheed-Georgia in something like that scheme in 1966: it wasn't delivered that way, but it wore the scheme for a brief time.

If anyone has Air Pictorials from that time, I think it was a cover shot.

I had forgotten about the W.2.  But never saw any pics of any other RAF Hercules with the white/ grey blue flash scheme so thats news to me. I used to have Air Pic but not that far back.

Anyway I regard my Tucano and any others I might do more as 'Counter Factual' as opposed to what if.  Or 'What might/could  have been'.  Or even a possible special anniversary scheme like the RAF have done with Hawk, Tucanos Typhoon etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

I like the idea and the execution. I have a liking for the old Light Aircraft Grey and Fluorescent Orange schemes- still have some of the stick on  tape used at the time. Where do you get those paints?

Thanks for your comments. The Light grey is by Hataka and comes in a set of 6 colours designated for RAF trainers. I don't recall who from but of the  traders at one of the shows I went to. Maybe Hannants stock them??  The dayglo is from the decals in the new tool Airfix Jet Provost  kit with some slight mods doctored to fit. . They stuck down OK but helped with Klear where they 'lifted' a little, to bed them down more firmly. The HATAKA paints my be available singly, not sure.