From Failure to Failure

06/24

22 minutes ago, Gorby said:

About an hour after reading this I heard a strange noise from our combi boiler – and found that a serious amount of water was dripping out of the case! Bugger! It seems that we will be feeling your financial pain when the plumber heating engineer calls in the morning. :(

Will everyone stop with the heating stories! Both my furnace and water heater are fairly old, but we were hoping to get through the winter and replace them in the Spring. It's too damned cold to be doing that crap now. It's nice here today. Only -19C without any windchill.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Not to boast, but...

Screenshot_2018-02-01-10-34-22

Yeah, but you guys get mauled by kangaroos all the time, and they're making that Crocodile Dundee sequel, so it's not all peaches and cream.

I could watch this a thousand times, it never gets old.

As a side helpful(?) note, if anyone else wants to do a Bisley, one is on the 'bay for about ten more hours: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142664724750

Sorry to all who've gotten textually-transmitted heater failure.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, 06/24 said:

I feel much the same way about young ladies with tattoos and body piercings. But I'm not foolish enough to actually try and get one...

I was....still married to her! Nothing more exotic than a belly piercing like Mrs P I hasten to add. 

I think I may have reached my daily like limit just catching up on this! Sorry to hear of your troubles PC and everyone else.

Air brushes???? Thanks guys after your various discussions I think I'll stick with the hairy sticks! 

Did look at the Humbrol beginner one in Hobbycraft the other day - a moments madness - it soon passed!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Yeah, but you guys get mauled by kangaroos all the time, and they're making that Crocodile Dundee sequel, so it's not all peaches and cream.

Skippys aren't really an issue, despite all evidence to the contrary- maybe that one was an oil company shill. That other dreck that comes to us via Dottyvile-on-the-Pacific (to quote Mr Wodehouse) is a different matter. Original or remake, it's ALL blergh, and should be illegal.

And please, this is the tropics. Mangoes, not peaches, cream not required. ;)

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

I could watch this a thousand times, it never gets old.

On the ConspirAussie.com site there have been multiple debunkings of that clip. It's clearly two Koala bears in a Kangaroo costume on springs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Sorry to hear about your woes chaps - two modellers struck down in the same week? Awful...

We'll just hang then and send best wishes... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope Kanga was able to get her stitches attended too

Did the Flying Doc get called to a lonely coolibar to attend the needs of a native Oztrylian, I wonders

Peaches?

Not sure I dare open that clip

What say guys?  😷

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Aw, what's wrong with Peaches?

Who?

57 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

On the ConspirAussie.com site there have been multiple debunkings of that clip. It's clearly two Koala bears in a Kangaroo costume on springs.

Except that the koala bears were obviously escaped circus bears, as koalas aren't bears. And they don't ever move that fast, even on springs.

(That said and on a (slightly) more serious note, I have actually had roos jump out of the bush and run into the side of my car while I was driving at speed. Not the brightest of creatures*.)

(*Kangaroos, not me. )

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Ah, nothing like the smell of stale roadkill in the morning - apart from a dead goanna or snake - their pong has a voice all its own !

Our road is "kangaroo alley" at any time of day or night. Got a couple of dents in the car doors from the dopey sods bouncing off.  Just spent the arvo picking up roo poo from what passes as a lawn at this time of year in Central Vic - two wheelbarrow loads !

Sorry to gatecrash a fascinating modelling thread.

Rog

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Will everyone stop with the heating stories! Both my furnace and water heater are fairly old, but we were hoping to get through the winter and replace them in the Spring. It's too damned cold to be doing that crap now. It's nice here today. Only -19C without any windchill.

Chris

Sorry Chris.

The one consolation of paying £2,000 for a new boiler (confirmed this morning) is that it's not -19C here, and only likely to get to -2C before it's fitted next Thursday. :cold:

I hope yours lasts the distance (if not, send the bill to Mr. P for spreading the virus :wink:).

Apologies for side-tracking this highly entertaining thread. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

So away from the world of boilers, furnaces, car brakes and such excitements:

Actual modelling 

40026704621_9cdec4c86c_c.jpgBlenheim Mk I middle stone by jongwinnett, on Flickr

However, do not look too close. The cheap airbrush has finally died. The nozzle no longer tightens, the washer is gone but worse, I think the thread inside the body has stripped, so even with Vaseline to seal, it doesn't spray. 

Although it hasn't lasted long, it has convinced me that I have a future with the AB, the ease of spraying enamels, particularly the Colourcoats has astounded.

• Like 13

Beautiful work. my ab compressor packed up long ago. Since then I have been using a brush and rattle cans. But just today and seeing this I am really missing Ab work. Your mention of a cheap one has caught my attention. I will have to get one of the cheaper solutions. Any recomendations ?

Rob :)

• Thanks 1

This is the spare:

0.2mm 7cc Cup Dual Act Gravity Feed Airbrush Kit 
by Generic 
Link:http://amzn.eu/aqjQyZQ

The dead one was identical, only marginally more expensive!

Clearly quality at this price is pot luck, for a compressor I use a Revell "standard class" which has variable pressure, it's a rebranded Sparmac unit. I haven't tried the cheap Chinese alternatives.

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

Jeez! And we Texans thought deer crossings were hazardous! But the only thing better than peaches and cream is mango ice cream.

• Haha 1

I like the look of that airbrush, quite like the one I have that works smoothly

Not like the other one with its aircontrol valve which I am terrified of using and beggaring everything up in sight

But the blurb on this says it HAS an aircontrolnightmare

But for a tenner, you'll get more fun than out of a round at the bar down the pub

Possibly no greater headaches either

Has to be GO FOR IT central

• Like 2

Yep, that's what I thought. Good proving item as it were. And it has proved useful. I think the aircontrolnightmare is a bit of a red herring, mine didn't ever do a particularly fine pattern and twiddling the knob didn't seem to make much difference, it just acted as a sort of stop for the paint valve direction.

I'm going to need to scope out a more robust longer term item I guess, since this one had barely survived a dozen uses, although that is probably as much down to my ham-fistedness as anything.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gorby said:

Sorry Chris.

The one consolation of paying £2,000 for a new boiler (confirmed this morning) is that it's not -19C here, and only likely to get to -2C before it's fitted next Thursday. :cold:

I hope yours lasts the distance (if not, send the bill to Mr. P for spreading the virus :wink:).

Apologies for side-tracking this highly entertaining thread. 

-17 C here with windchill at present. Stops a man in his tracks.

• Sad 4

Brrrr... more than chilly PC, that’s ‘special clothing’ weather!

Jon I recommend the H&S Evolution 2 in 1 (just to start the discussion). Recommended by Paul at Modelling Tools it’s well made, has two nozzle sizes (0.2 and 0.4) and it’s easy to clean. Bit of an investment but I’m expecting mine to last me out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1