Beer Barrel Run - Spitfire LFIX 1/72

CedB

Thanks Simon, very kind and glad you like it :) 

Thanks Christer - I probably should have filled those. Partly due to the (in my view) oversized PE. Ho hum :) 

Thanks Roger :D 

Thanks Giorgio :D 

thanks John - glad you like it! :) 

RFI posted here.

She's taken her place now in the flight line, all waiting to be hung from the ceiling:

36377739100_4c90ac58ab_z.jpg

DSCN0240 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I think I'd better do that soon - it's a bit of a squeeze!

I've not decided what's next but with only a week before the floatplane GB it'll have to be something quick.

I'll post a link here when I've stopped dithering!

• Like 19

Marvellous beer carrying machine Ced :clap: .

It may sound odd, but my favourite 'quaffing' beer is almost a namesake; Everards 'Tiger':

http://www.everards.co.uk/beers/

I developed a liking for it whilst studying for a teaching qualification at Leicester University.

There used to be a superb Irish pub at the back of Leicester train station too. They served a good version of my favourite 'winter social' drink: Guinness.

Yum :drink:.

My maternal grandmother was half Irish, half English.

The Irish side was quite strong and when I was as young as seven, she used to let me have a glass of stout on Sunday because it was 'good for my blood'. It was good for a lot more reasons than that :D.

Meanwhile her husband, (my grandfather of course), had French parents. They were from Normandy. It's apparently 'not a region big on wine'.

Insteaf, he used to give me home made cider, calvados and a home made pear based 'thing' (extremely potent), when I went and sat with him in his vast opus of a greenhouse.

His greenhouse really, honestly , had an east and west wing. A front 'special plants' area, a rear 'enclosure' with valve radio, a gramophone, records, books, newspapers, club chairs and a chaise longue. God's truth.

He wasn't that keen on his wife's company. I could tell :rofl:.

I guess I would be put in care these days and the whole family arrested, but I loved Sundays as a kid. I'm starting to realise why I often used to stick wings on my models upside down, on Sundays :christmas:.

Oh dear, I've rambled on again dad! It really is a great beery Spitfire. The barrels look superb and your patience with the pingy barrel straps has paid off.

I know you probably don't want to disturb them, at all, but:

The photo etch barrel straps held on by CA.. :confused: .

It often goes brittle in such situations. I feel for a model hung from the ceiling; maybe the merest cocktail stick touch, a blob of two part epoxy, to secure the straps to the mounts, would be good insurance.

I'm very unlucky with CA, may well be over-cautious.

One week? You're going to do one in a week? Do you have another Polish glider? How about just the dog and Land Rover from your spiffing new Bristol missile set :nod:?

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

She looks nicely done and fits in with the Spitfire crowd (I've heard you can never have enough).

Just one question on that close up of the barrel, did you paint the racks?

• Thanks 1

Superb job, Ced!

Regarding the Liquidex pens: if it works - and it demonstrably does, repeatedly - then what's the problem? It's another technique/method and as valid as anything else.

I feel a bit exposed after my brief outing outside my recent burrow, so back under my rock again for a bit. Don't want to catch a(nother) cold.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a beer barrel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon :D I do have three more on the ceiling (only three?) plus five more in the stash... but (altogether now) you can never have too many Spitfires!

Thanks Giorgio, very kind :) 

Thanks TT :D Everards? Really? I'm trying to avoid Dbl-Es at the moment but... no, I'll resist!

Thanks Phil :) Er, um... did you notice? They're kind of MSG aren't they... and the glue will stick!

Thanks Bill :) Your confidence is appreciated!

Thanks Alex :) Liquidex works for me and saves all that 'spraying yellow' nonsense!

Thanks Cookie :) 

Thanks Adrian :) 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon :D I do have three more on the ceiling (only three?) plus five more in the stash... but (altogether now) you can never have too many Spitfires!

Only three in the stash? Buy some more.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Telford? Still deciding but I may go up Friday and stay a couple of nights.

If I can get things synced this end Ced am hoping to get the ferry over the Friday evening in order to spend Saturday at the show before heading back Sunday morning. My youngest lad is pumped up to see it as well so may be off the beer but would love to touch base with yourself and others whilst there. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I meant to say earlier that your and Giorgio's excellent results have finally made me take up Mr Tiger's recommendation about the Lifecolor paints, which he also assures me brush extremely well. For a Luddite like me, what's not to like? And you can never have too many paints, either...

• Like 2

Thanks Simon - there will, no doubt, be more in my future :) 

Thanks Keith - have a good trip :) 

Thanks Martian, very kind :) 

Thanks Tony - it'll be great to meet up, even if it's for coffee! :) 

Thanks Alex :) They do brush and self-level well, with multiple coats (or blobs for small areas!)

I'm still dithering BUT the Airfix Bloodhound is lurking on the bench. I think TT's idea is a good one because I can build bits... but where does the WiP go? Does it count as an aircraft or vehicle?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Coffee?

Gulp

Oh OK

Bet they don't have Bass on anyway

:)

If you make it a vehicle WIP, I am there often enough checking out Hendie's Pullman so that would be OK

If you relate the Bloodhound (which is a right can of wrigglies I understand) we could have it in here with you doing the ground handling stuff en-build as Hendie did with his riser framey thingmy

The dog of course is supreme, he can go anywhere he blooming wants to

And afterwards the missile could be in flight towards the CedCeiling and a random jetty thing...

Just saying

;)

• Like 2

Do it. Would love to see you do a Bloodhound.  I recently acquired one of these and have been debating whether to update it or oob.

Would think it would be in the vehicle wip.  It does have a land rover.

• Like 2

Thanks Bill :) I'm sure we'll have time for a pint (or two!)

Thanks Phil :) Your wish is my command...

Bristol Bloodhound started here: 

Hopefully something will get finished before the floatplane GB starts next Saturday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philp said:

Would think it would be in the vehicle wip.  It does have a land rover.

Well, Crisp has a deck tractor with his Sea King build - and that build is definitely in 'Aircraft' ;)

:coat: 

Oh, and before I forget again, I love the meerkat with its little teacosy hat :).

• Like 1

Thanks Bill - Fang will be pained! :)

Thanks Alex - good enough! :) The Meerkat is one of a 'collection'. What happens when you don't want much for Christmas and you happen to mention that you like them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1