Hope's Sword (4 x Eduard 1/72 Spitfires)

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I also trimmed Madeleine's toenails, and she repaid me by pooping on me. Thanks, kiddo.

32211543833_817481f10a_b.jpg2017-02-20_10-27-54 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It seems to me that Madeline has a rather intensely vicious look to her.  You might thank whatever deities that you subscribe to (or perhaps evolution if you're not into deities) that she isn't a lot bigger than she is.  Otherwise she might have repaid you in a more painful manner than just pooping on you.  Poop is the revenge of the powerless.

• Like 2

Just now, Niles said:

It seems to me that Madeline has a rather intensely vicious look to her.  You might thank whatever deities that you subscribe to (or perhaps evolution if you're not into deities) that she isn't a lot bigger than she is.  Otherwise she might have repaid you in a more painful manner than just pooping on you.  Poop is the revenge of the powerless.

I won't dispute that last part, but Madeleine is a perfect lady, poop aside. 

• Like 6

The thing (one of) I like about Edwards threads is the balance they contain, the use of big words erudition is neatly balanced by some great hard core modelling, something for everyone & the soul. I did like the reference to the little Badger airbrush, I might just have found a first airbrush. I like Dons reviews. Spits are looking good Edward. I'm staying out of the house/spouse debate, I know when to duck below the parapet. :D

Steve.

• Like 6

Long day today, so no photos, sorry chaps. I painted the props today and applied the sky bands that I forgot to do before -- they'll need some cleanup. There's a reason I normally do them first. I think I've found one of the limitations of my 3M 1/4" tape -- no flex to it, so it doesn't do the best with the tapering rear fuselage of a Spitfire near the fin. Fortunately, 3M also makes 1/4" vinyl tape very much like the Tamiya's tape for curved surfaces, so some of that is on its way to me. I have a plan, and I'm never more dangerous (to myself, and to a lesser extent, to others) than when I have a plan. 

On the subject of Spitfire weathering, incidentally, I picked up a little book from Poland called Donaldy Zumbacha, about Jan Zumbach's Donald Duck-adorned Spitfire Vs, and if you're at all interested in what Spitfires looked like up close during the war, I heartily recommend it. Even without any grasp of Polish, I found the photos very invaluable. They've given me a lot of ideas for future builds. Future poorly-executed builds, granted, but it looks like a fair bit of the actual weathering on a Spitfire could be done with a good silver coloured pencil. (Recommendations welcomed.) 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

but it looks like a fair bit of the actual weathering on a Spitfire could be done with a good silver coloured pencil. (Recommendations welcomed.)

Prismacolor silver pencils, used sparingly, will give you a nice bright chipping effect. For darker chips, a regular soft graphite pencil works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-Premier-Colored-Pencil-Metallic/dp/B0035A12D6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487759506&sr=8-1&keywords=prismacolor+silver+premier

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prismacolor-Premier-Soft-Core-Colored-Pencil-150-colors-Choose-one-color-/201827408128?var=501856847872&hash=item2efdd9d900:g:fRwAAOSwx6pYq~zf

Jason

• Like 6

I came home today to find my son, my gift to the future, in full nuclear meltdown mode over the fact that he'd been brought inside to prevent him from running his pedal-powered tractor (mine back in 1986!) into the operating charcoal grill. It's like having a tiny pet Caligula. On the plus side, Mrs P has finally decided to wean him, after he attempted to pull her shirt off while nursing, so at least we've finally found that particular red line. I've been making Norman Bates and Oedipus jokes for weeks in the hopes that they'd gradually percolate in.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm again pretty tired.

Putting on paint had revealed some seams under the chins of the three big-carb Spitfires, so I had applied some putty last night, and I sanded them down and repainted tonight. Seems a bit better.

33023218956_da7649c1ed_b.jpg20170222_225413 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also applied the tail bands, as you can see. 

32908612362_559078a301_b.jpg20170222_225458 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It's tough to do this by masking off the area surrounding the band, vice painting the band and then masking over the bit you want to keep, but this is the price we pay for negligence. I'm gonna try some vinyl 1/4" tape that should be akin to the flexible Tamiya tape to mask it.

Props all done:

32908610782_bfcb2c06af_b.jpg20170222_225532 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Also tried a test set of exhaust stacks. I used Mr Color "Russet" (which Eduard recommend for Spitfire seats, by the way, even though we all know russet is not a real word -- nice try, Eduard!) but instead of the reddish-brown I was expecting, it was more of a deep red, such as a harlot might daub her lips with before saddling up the seven-headed beast for a jaunt through the Book of Revelation. Well okay. Initially I was just going to brush pencil lead shavings over it, but this didn't look quite right...sort of like sangria, to be honest. So I grabbed some Mig pigments that I've been studiously not using, and brushed them over the stacks, then followed up with more pencil shavings:

32219174834_ffff957f72_b.jpg20170222_231830 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33023218046_8929a60391_b.jpg20170222_231812 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Sort of okay. The plan is to get some Hu113 enamel for future attempts. 

• Like 10

Looks good from here mate. My longish-term (over a year now) go-to for exhaust manifolds is Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron, no messing, just sprayed on. No idea how realistic it is, but I like the way it looks.

Cheers,

Stew

p.s. I've got one of those little Victorinox knives, in red :) 

• Like 3

Poor Winnie, testing the boundaries (as they do at that age) is never fun but a quick session on 'the naughty step' (or whatever) and he'll adjust his 'parameters' and shrug it off.

24 minutes ago, Procopius said:

... such as a harlot might daub her lips with before saddling up the seven-headed beast for a jaunt through the Book of Revelation.

:rofl: they turned out well PC IMHO - better than Revelations anyway :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

p.s. I've got one of those little Victorinox knives, in red :) 

It's an essential modelling tool! I lost my last one and had to buy another recently -- turns out this one gets a bit melty if you spill lacquer thinner on it. Whoops.

Russet is a real colour, particularly Russet Brown, a surprisingly popular paint for BL cars of the late 70s.  Not because brown was "the" colour of the period but probably because your brand new car didn't show the rust as badly on driving out of the showroom as was the case with other BL shades...

• Like 4

Looking back a few pages, it looks like we get our t-shirts from the same place. Lastexittonowhere rules! Some people even get the references.

A long-lost relative of Madeline's used to live in my parents' garden and would come to the kitchen door of an evening for a drink of water. Said 'hog also had a free run of the greenhouse, keeping assorted nasties off Mum's tomatoes.

I have a foursome of Eduard Spitfires from the late, lamented Take-Off model store. I am now watching carefully, for inspiration.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Looking back a few pages, it looks like we get our t-shirts from the same place. Lastexittonowhere rules!

It absolutely does. I was wondering if anyone would notice that.

Edward,

On your recommendation I purchased the 3m tape you've been using. I used it on my Spitfire IXc to both mask off the invasion stripes and the Sky band. I used a method I've been using for years now on Spitfires:  I place the tape on one side, then while leaving a loop on the top place it over on the other side. Line them up and on the bottom ensure they two ends stick together well past the plastic. Then work up to the plastic slowly until they come together. In the top do the same. 

It it works better with Tamiya tape as it's more flexible, and I rarely get bleed through. This last time I did have to touch up the bottom, but it was very minor. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Greenshirt said:

On your recommendation I purchased the 3m tape you've been using. I used it on my Spitfire IXc to both mask off the invasion stripes and the Sky band. I used a method I've been using for years now on Spitfires:  I place the tape on one side, then while leaving a loop on the top place it over on the other side. Line them up and on the bottom ensure they two ends stick together well past the plastic. Then work up to the plastic slowly until they come together. In the top do the same. 

That's an incredibly good tip, Greenshirt, thanks! 

• Like 1

A night of disasters.

First, disaster for one of the birds, as Mrs P let Winston cuddle it. It's only a matter of time before he tears one in half like a sheet of paper. I wash my hands of it.

32926118332_789ac0962d_b.jpg20170223_180512 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Then, my airbrush fell off the table and bounced off the floor. 

32236631334_6a4f7eb52c_b.jpg20170223_210510 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It was mostly okay (and I was only using a Master G22, which is so cheap you could practically buy them in six packs rather than deign to clean them), but sort of maddening.

THEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNN

I had a hideous paint reaction when spraying Mr Color Gloss White over part of one of the Spitfires. 

Before

32236630584_8727fe7773_b.jpg20170223_211711 by Edward IX, on Flickr

After

32926117332_02e2627ae9_b.jpg20170223_214446 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The paint cracked and curdled, and then sloughed away when rubbed with an IPA-dipped cotton bud, all the way down to the plastic. But not on the wings.

My theory is that the paint was overthinned on the rear fuselage when I sprayed, and I layed it down too wet -- the resulting build up of thinner ate through the enamel and primer already there like Xenomorph blood through the hold of the Nostromo

Unreal. 

• Like 5

Ugh, paint disasters are the worst, ahead of even bird and airbrush disasters.

If you have some Colourcoats white, you can just spray it directly on the newly exposed bare plastic and it should stick and look fine. Your masking hopefully protected all the areas that aren't supposed to be white.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cookenbacher said:

Ugh, paint disasters are the worst, ahead of even bird and airbrush disasters.

If you have some Colourcoats white, you can just spray it directly on the newly exposed bare plastic and it should stick and look fine. Your masking hopefully protected all the areas that aren't supposed to be white.

Yeah, I can come back from this (and I will), but gosh, I really could have used some stuff going right for me at the moment. And of course it was a dumb mistake to make. Back to enamels for round two of this. And more delays! Sigh.

• Like 2

What a day. In the previous posts, I think that the exhausts actually look very good :thumbsup2: .

The underside painting is also very good, subtle, not overdone and the tonal variation makes it look that bit more like the real thing.

Paint reactions have happened to me a lot, sometimes on full 1:1 cars. It's a test of tenacity, but there's something quite pleasing about getting it off, back to a nice clean surface again.

Things happen in threes, all will be ok for a while now. :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1