Bristol Beaufort Mk I - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

Hallo Ced. Probably on Saturday and more on Sunday. " Dann schuckelt es hier ordentlich" Cheers

Yes, the heat. My german typing is also ruined by the heat. Sorry!

Edit: Schuckeln = rumble

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

The key is to dole them out sparingly, like approval from a stern, distant Victorian (era vice state) father.

Ah, yes, well, a stern, disapproving Victorian (NSW ha ha) I am not.*

I splatter them around liberally like Jackson Pollock on speed: probably in order to get rid f them, in my case, thoug. Nothing artistic about my casting whatsoever.

Oh, and as aside, the Beaufort is looking great, Ced. I hang my head in humiliation and shame.

Cheers,

Alex.

* Maybe I can learn with respect to the 'likes'. Hmm, what a liberating idea. OK persons, no more likes for any of you, then. Bah humbug.

• Like 4

It's looking great Ced. You're on top form. This build is now at that stage in an episode of the A-Team when they frantically build a fort or set of armoured vehicles just before the baddies show up. Break yourself out a Hannibal-esque cigar my friend. :)

• Like 2

Now I've found that 'Multiquote' remembers the order you click things in I'm becoming a bit 'anal' about getting replies in the right order... OCD, me?

More excellent work work Ced, well done on polishing them down. something I have tried but you make it look so easy!

What is Jon building??

Rob

Tracky things, and big steel boxes!

Sometimes he goes to town and builds a steel box with trackies, it's a wild ride.

Thanks Rob, Jon and PC :) We've now joined Jon in the 'other place' to add colour to his post in the form of graffiti on his container. :wicked:

Excellent work Navy Ced.

Love it!

:lol: Genius!

Thanks Cookie - very kind but not something I'll be able to live up to!

Jon and Giorgio you're kind too, but please don't encourage it!

Hallo Ced. Probably on Saturday and more on Sunday. " Dann schuckelt es hier ordentlich" Cheers

Yes, the heat. My german typing is also ruined by the heat. Sorry!

Edit: Schuckeln = rumble

Hi Benedikt - I hope you enjoy the rumbling!

Coming along very nicely Ced! I'm intrigued to see how that prop thingy works....

Ian

Thanks Ian - Wait no longer, post to follow after this one.

Ah, yes, well, a stern, disapproving Victorian (NSW ha ha) I am not.*

I splatter them around liberally like Jackson Pollock on speed: probably in order to get rid f them, in my case, thoug. Nothing artistic about my casting whatsoever.

Oh, and as aside, the Beaufort is looking great, Ced. I hang my head in humiliation and shame.

Cheers,
Alex.

* Maybe I can learn with respect to the 'likes'. Hmm, what a liberating idea. OK persons, no more likes for any of you, then. Bah humbug.

Thanks Alex :)

It's looking great Ced. You're on top form. This build is now at that stage in an episode of the A-Team when they frantically build a fort or set of armoured vehicles just before the baddies show up. Break yourself out a Hannibal-esque cigar my friend. :)

Thanks Tony, very kind. Da da dah, da dah daaah, diddle do de do do, dum de dum de dum (Now you'll be humming it all day!) :)

UMM Propmaster. Here we go...

I can't help thinking I've become a little 'anal' about this but, if you've seen my Brigand, you'll know why I really wanted, and needed, something to help me get the props straight. Hand made jigs didn't help as, when you start pushing the blades in you inevitably push things out of kilter. Yes, I could have got myself one of the Quickboost props that come with a jig, but they only do one blade at a time. So after some issues contacting UMM about International shipping (they were at a show) the Propmaster arrived. Here it is in the box:

29205136896_75327dfd00_z.jpg

There's very little about this on the 'net (apart from a few reviews) and the fact that 'propmaster' is the name for people who look after props for the Theatrical and Film industry floods any searches. You can see though that it's well made and has three main parts:

• the block with angled slots for 3 and four bladed props
  • a central platform on a screw to allow the hub height to be adjusted and
  • five 'spacers' with differing sized holes to hold the hub (assuming it has a shaft)

The first thing I did was to make sure the shaft fitted the engine block and sanded it slightly until it fitted. I then selected the closest spacer; none of them was a perfect fit:

29238857645_e583ae015b.jpg 29238885345_2963275870.jpg

With the hub and spacer located the next job is to rotate the screw platform until it's at the correct height. You can turn the hub as well, of course, whilst aligning the blades. (Obvious, but I spent a few minutes turning the screw and watching it passing the blades thinking 'rats, this won't work'. I am an idiot). Once that's done the blades can be aligned:

29238951945_eed6da8803_z.jpg

I then applied some CA to the end of each blade and pushed them in to the hub, making sure the blade was flush with the angled groove and that the hub was still central - it's bound to move a bit.

29205603456_5022ea556a_z.jpg

The result? One prop with nicely aligned and angled blades:

29131948742_90192746c5_z.jpg

I'll do another posts about handed props now - want to get this one saved.

• Like 7

So why two sides to the tool?

I didn't know until I joined BM that props can be left or right 'handed'. Obvious when you think about contra-rotating props (one of each) otherwise they wouldn't work.

The identification method is to stand in front of the prop and look at the top blade (which hopefully is pointing upright) and if the leading edge is on the left, it's left handed. No prizes for working out how to identify a right handed prop, sorry. Here's the reference shot I used for the Mk I:

29205613206_cecb10e3e7_z.jpg

(Copyrights not found but acknowledged)

One warning - make sure there's something on the photo (like the 'G' here) that confirms that the photo has been printed the right way round. Oh, and don't look for too long or the blades will rotate in front of your eyes - weird.

So, Mk I is right handed. The DAP Beauforts appear to be left handed. Also weird.

I told you I was getting a bit 'anal'...

• Like 7

So, Mk I is right handed. The DAP Beauforts appear to be left handed. Also weird.

Different engines. The Australian aircraft had P&W Twin Wasps. :)

regards,

J.

• Like 2

He's on the jazz again!

• Like 1

Thanks PC - Yeh man, cool :coolio:

Despite my reluctance to accept the 'Navy' accolade, there are some things I can do that Bill did. Like find out the window doesn't fit:

29162791111_0c8c918cc0_z.jpg

I started by filling the gap with some strip then realised the canopy wasn't stuck and is, like hanging man:

29207776806_021979f30f_z.jpg

F/O Campbell is not impressed. Sorry Sir, I'll fix that... after I've spent an inordinate amount of time fitting the nose glass:

29207783826_6de76b267b_z.jpg

Sorry for the out of focus shot. Took a lot of careful shaving and sanding the top to an angle, but it's in.

Afternoon out today as it's sunny. Later man...

• Like 9

As a general rule of thumb, most American engines turn clockwise as viewed from the pilot's seat. Most British engines, anti-clockwise. Hence the different props. Not water tight, but a good guide...

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks Simon, Leon, Rob and Giorgio! :)

Thanks Ian - odd how things develop differently eh? I have this horrid image in my head of a UK erk trying to start a US engine and getting thrown across the airfield...

The port side of the canopy is looking OK now:

29217814456_5a470a6817_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I love the way the Gator's Grip cleans up when rubbed with a damp cotton bud. Nice stuff. The other side has been glued now and is drying with the help of a Berna.

Next WDBD was the landing lights. I'd stuck the strip in yesterday so it should be dry enough for confident sanding. I decided a nice wide micromesh strip could be used so that the middle bit took on the shape of the outside bits and wing. I chopped some bits off first with the edge cutters:

28630945223_d779959f03_n.jpg 29173341691_2c14743eb8_n.jpg

and done:

29143712942_3ec8502128_z.jpg

Happy with that. Note the tape applied to protect the detail whilst sanding - another WDBD - see, I do learn (slowly).

Note also the gouged line, now filled with CA, where the scriber slipped - too confident. Dymo tape all the time, next time.

I think tomorrow I can just do some kit bashing getting the nacelles assembled. Then I can see how the wheel bay doors fit in the closed position. Oh joy.

• Like 7