HELLER 1/24 - FERGUSON "PETIT GRIS"

dazinio

The subject is the same as the Airfix kit, I think. I'm not well up on differences between Ferguson tractors, but the Heller kit sure looks like the same model tractor as the Airfix Ferguson to me.

Edited by VMA131Marine

The subject is the same as the Airfix kit, I think. I'm not well up on differences between Ferguson tractor, but the Heller kit sure looks like the same model as the Airfix to me.

Its a TE20; There were no major differences in it during its production time so the new Heller kit should look like the old Airfix one.

May I put here what shade of grey to use?

Its; ANY shade which was used during WW2 by the RAF or Royal Navy.

Years ago at a TE20 rally in Dungannon in N.I. I met a man who was the foreman of the final finishing of the TE20s on the production line. When asked about the shade of grey and which of those at the rally were in the correct grey he said ''All are''.

According to him;

To keep costs down government / military surplus grey was used. They used what their buyer could get cheap.

It was used from 5 gal tins. Sometimes it was not stirred well by the painters and sometimes it was seen that the two sides of the Fergie were actually different shades. Each painting team was of two men, and they took it in turns to spray the top side as well, so sometimes the top matched the left side and sometimes it matched the right.

There was a major demand for the tractors so it was more important to get them out of the factory in any paint colour and not be fussy about it.

• Like 2

Not on Hannants futures yet

It'll be on my backorder list as soon as it is.

Could be popular. I often get asked for tractor models

Tractors and Contractors Plant are big (and expensive) in the die-cast collector world but as rare as hen's teeth as injected plastic kits. Is there a missed marketing opportunity here? It'll be interesting to see how well this Fergie sells.

Despite my initial excitement at the possibility of this being the old Airfix kit being shot down in flames ( Quite rightly too!) I actually still want this, I'm not usually into such things but when I worked for a car accessory chain in North Wales I used to supply a lot of classic metal number plates for quite a few Tractors and the Fergie was the most popular!!

And how many will end up covered in rust in a weedy patch of ground . . ?

I'm very excited by this as I love Fergies. Mine will end up as and old gliding club workhorse, based on youthful memories of driving one to retrieve gliders and wind out winch cables at Yorkshire Gliding Club on Sutton Bank in the late '70s and early '80s.

• 10 months later...

Pics as promised. The background squares have 5mm sides. Alternate parts are provided for both English and French production vehicles.

The box: quite impressive

IMG_3469_zpsdh8vz1dv.jpg

but it's a bit big for the contents:

IMG_3470_zpsh7vmkcnh.jpg

Sprue A:

IMG_3471_zpsdqukowzc.jpg

IMG_3472_zpsybegdli4.jpg

Sprue B:

IMG_3473_zpslbg1rgkg.jpg

IMG_3474_zpspap2krsk.jpg

Sprue C:

IMG_3475_zpsckxpekje.jpg

IMG_3476_zpsbsnlmha8.jpg

Sprue D:

IMG_3477_zpsb4fhmwyo.jpg

IMG_3478_zpsukbboakq.jpg

Tyre sprue (Sprue E): Vinyl, but they look OK apart from the moulding marks (they're not sink marks, and the model can be assembled with them facing inwards) on the rear tyres:

IMG_3479_zps9vuvso8a.jpg

Decals: Decals rather than transparencies for headlights, but the headlights were not always fitted:

IMG_3480_zps4leo8sab.jpg

Instructions:

Well done, clear and easy to follow:

IMG_3481_zpspf20wjif.jpg

IMG_3482_zpszmggkq4q.jpg

That's just a sample; I haven't copied the whole sheet.

Painting instructions: Options for English (first picture) and French vehicles:

IMG_3483_zpsja5qsbg3.jpg

IMG_3484_zpshnnczogu.jpg

All in all, looks pretty good. I can feel a diorama coming on ...

• Like 2