1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I, Airfix+Eduard+AML

Hello

Really great BPD and, having scanned Google, the following image from 1941 shows a BPD considerably more distressed than the model in this thread appears to be.

Boulton-Paul_Defiant_front_zpssr3fviab.j

It's great! Thank you very much for your support, sir!

Simply incredible. I like the look of burnt paint behind exhausts most of all! One question about flaps colour - are those lighter stripes reproduce a weathering effect? Or that is the way flaps on Defiants were painted?

Way to go Faud , if there is one thing we brits are good at is putting our foot in it. :banghead:

No mater how good or bad a model is its the courage to post it that counts , don't worry friend its not the first time and no doubt it wont be the last

where the language barrier throws up misunderstandings .

Keep up the good work Faud , look forward to seeing more of your work. :goodjob:

Can I just say that this thread has brightened my day immeasurably! 1st of all because the pictures portray a beautifully built, painted and weathered 1/72 defiant( yes 1/72 I cant even do mottling in that scale) but also its an example of how hard and earnest we all try with our humble hobby. A hobby often scoffed at yet it takes great iginuity skill workmanship all qualities being lost in the midst of super fast instant gratification. Also superb knowledge and understanding. I take my hat of to faud, tony, mike and also csrt2006(for humour) for yet again proving why I enjoy this hobby and this forum so much. Also its multinational all of political parties could learn alot.

Thank and sorry for rambling joe

Simply incredible. I like the look of burnt paint behind exhausts most of all! One question about flaps colour - are those lighter stripes reproduce a weathering effect? Or that is the way flaps on Defiants were painted?

I was grind edge of the wing and as a result - erased the imitation of fabric flaps. So, then I tried to reproduce this imitation using paint.

Hello Fuad,

I was simply puzzled by the thread which you directed me to and did not know what you were getting at! No worries.

In case you are interested here is some info about Defiant Mk.I, N3333 and a photo of the real aircraft;

Defiant Mk.I, N3333

-Delivered brand new to 255 Sqn in November 1940 as YD-B, and was seen at Cranwell wearing day fighter colours in December (when the photo below was probably taken?) after being flown there by Flt. Lt. Trousdale who was a future ace.

-7th March 1941 it was flown by Flying Officer Ballantyne to attack a He III in poor weather and by now it was finished in overall night black night fighter colours.

-4th May 1941 it was lost south east of Lincoln when the Merlin engine exploded but thankfully the crew both baled out.

1780640_229702010562389_1352915434_n.jpg

So this would indicate that N3333 would not have become over weathered while wearing its original factory applied day fighter colours for such a short time, ie November 1940- February/March 1940!

The overall sooty black night fighter scheme was well known to peel and weather quite badly, often revealing the underlying colour scheme (as per the photo posted earlier) but the propeller and spinner retained their tougher factory painted black which was more hard wearing than the night black paint so they would not be as prone as the sooty black paint to weathering,..again as per the earlier night fighter photo.

I hope that this helps and shows you why I thought that the weathering was a little over done,...it was nothing personal!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Hello

Really great BPD and, having scanned Google, the following image from 1941 shows a BPD considerably more distressed than the model in this thread appears to be.

Boulton-Paul_Defiant_front_zpssr3fviab.j

Yes, she really looks tatty, doesn't she?

The reason is that she is a No. 256 Squadron night fighter, with the day fighter camo overpainted with RDM2 Special Night matt black finish, which was famous, or rather infamous, for its poor adhesion. It just flaked off, partly revealing the original dk. green/dk. brown camouflage.

So, while this image is interesting reference for an early Defiant night fighter, it has no relevance to day fighters in their original camouflage.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and for your attention, gentlemen. I've never insisted and argued that the real board looked that way. I added these unfortunate chips just to prove at least as something artistic techniques. I'm not interested just be a painter. I want our models look like works of 3D art, and not only as a teaching aids of History.

It's just my vision. I'm sorry if it does not coincide with yours.

• Like 1

I was grind edge of the wing and as a result - erased the imitation of fabric flaps. So, then I tried to reproduce this imitation using paint.

OK, I see. I can confirm this approach returns the sense of volume very well!

Faud you are an artist! This is a fantastic artistic interpretation of the beautiful Airfix Defiant and you have used the kit to showcase your incredible painting skills for all to see. I couldn't hope to achieve this standard if I had another fifty years on this earth and I take my hat off to you.

In our fantastic hobby there are plenty of directions to go. In my short time as a member I have enjoyed the WIPs of a few people who share my love of all things with red white and blue roundels and their relentless attention to historical authenticity resulting in highly accurate and beautiful models. I have enjoyed their journey and also picked up some information that I wasn't aware of. I have also marvelled at the skill of some incredible builds presenting subjects that I know very little about. The later group I have enjoyed for the pure pleasure of the builds and the effects that have been achieved. Knowing very little about the subjects I am able to enjoy the results in a purely visual sense not having the knowledge to decide if a subject is the wrong shade or over weathered etc.

I share Tony's opinion that this model is perhaps not entirely accurate in that it is over weathered to be historically correct but from a purely visual perspective it is a beautiful example of a modeller's art. I suppose you could call it 'Artistic License'

I am in the process of building the Airfix Swordfish from the 'Opeation Torch' set. Having painted all the camo I couldn't bring myself to put the American stars on the aircraft as it didn't look right to me so I subtituted them for early RAF roundels. Now I know this is historically wrong and inaccurate but I am much happier with the look and at the end of the day it's all about enjoyment isn't it?

Far play to you Faud it's your model and your talent. It is also quite fair to point out any inaccuracies in an attempt to pool resources and improve our results.

Surely that is the object of a forum?

• Like 3

Faud you are an artist! This is a fantastic artistic interpretation of the beautiful Airfix Defiant and you have used the kit to showcase your incredible painting skills for all to see. I couldn't hope to achieve this standard if I had another fifty years on this earth and I take my hat off to you.

In our fantastic hobby there are plenty of directions to go. In my short time as a member I have enjoyed the WIPs of a few people who share my love of all things with red white and blue roundels and their relentless attention to historical authenticity resulting in highly accurate and beautiful models. I have enjoyed their journey and also picked up some information that I wasn't aware of. I have also marvelled at the skill of some incredible builds presenting subjects that I know very little about. The later group I have enjoyed for the pure pleasure of the builds and the effects that have been achieved. Knowing very little about the subjects I am able to enjoy the results in a purely visual sense not having the knowledge to decide if a subject is the wrong shade or over weathered etc.

I share Tony's opinion that this model is perhaps not entirely accurate in that it is over weathered to be historically correct but from a purely visual perspective it is a beautiful example of a modeller's art. I suppose you could call it 'Artistic License'

I am in the process of building the Airfix Swordfish from the 'Opeation Torch' set. Having painted all the camo I couldn't bring myself to put the American stars on the aircraft as it didn't look right to me so I subtituted them for early RAF roundels. Now I know this is historically wrong and inaccurate but I am much happier with the look and at the end of the day it's all about enjoyment isn't it?

Far play to you Faud it's your model and your talent. It is also quite fair to point out any inaccuracies in an attempt to pool resources and improve our results.

Surely that is the object of a forum?

I could at least spell your name right sorry Fuad!

That is gorgeous! Stunning looking Defiant, beautifully built and painted. Yet another example of your skills Fuad, please keep them coming!

Cheers

DC

Thank you, Dave! I'll try).

I could at least spell your name right sorry Fuad!

Nothing wrong. I'm used to and do not pay attention. I am a Turk, but the name refers to the Arabic and translated "heart".

• Like 1