Group Build Chat

Hi Stew,

Thanks for your reply, the flower class corvette is definitely on my list but I might need to build somewhere to store it due to the size of it and my house isn't exactly massive.

Cheers

Rick

Kallisti,

Thanks for the offer. When I get my hands on the kit, I'll get in touch. Will be a while I have got to clear some of my stash first. Orders from the missus.

Rick

• Like 1

I know what you mean Rick :)

If you decide to join us in this GB with a Spit, a Hurri, a Blenheim or a Defiant (or indeed any of the 'opposition'), just start your own topic in the GB sub-forum, you'll be welcome. Otherwise feel free to drop in...

Cheers,

Stew

Also does anyone know if tom Neil flew today? I am sure it was today he was flying in the trainer spitfire as part of the fly past, his first time flying the beautiful machine for 70 years!

Rob

If I recall from last night's news he did. Prince Harry gave up his seat for him as one of the Spits was unserviceable.

I think I have a new model interest.....I have a large number of modern aircraft to build, after watching programs about the battle of britain tonight and also reading the dambusters book I think I am going to have to start building up a collection of Battle of britain models in memory of all those who fought and lost their lives during the battle of britain and world war 2 in general.

I know I want the usual (spitfire, hurricane,lancaster, blenheim).....can anyone recommend any other kits to me ?

Rick

For the Battle of Britain don't forget the Gladiator and there was a squadron of FAA Fulmars as well I believe.

For the Battle of Britain don't forget the Gladiator and there was a squadron of FAA Fulmars as well I believe.

808 Naval Air Squadron flew Fulmars and 804 flew Sea Gladiators and latterly Martlets(!) in the Battle. 263 Squadron had a few Westland Whirlwinds during the Battle, though they were more or less u/s during most of it.

• Like 3

That is a rite of passage completed, and a defining moment in any modeller's life akin to the pilgrimage to Mecca.

Can't help but notice the erm, restrained size of the bag though; is Hannants in Colindale so reduced from its former glory? :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Question. Is the Airfix Spitfire Mk 1a starter set eligible for this build? The aircraft on the box is X4561 QJ.B of 92 Sqn, at RAF Manston in Dec 1940 - too late for the BoB, but correct Sqn and codes...

I ask because I started the kit without thinking about this GB (long story, but away for work with a little time to kill, and there's a small Toyworld shop here...) and suddenly realised that it may just be eligible. Doesn't matter either way, but I'd like to use this to actually finish a GB if I can. (If the hosts want, I can supply a photo of what I've done so far - I think I'm under the 25%.)

Nice little kit too. And the Humbrol acrylics aren't bad. Although the teeny weeny brush is going to make the camouflage interesting to paint. ;)

If you can change the serial to R6596 and the codes to QJ-S, that would make it eligible as that would have flow in the BoB.

My database also shows 52 results for "X" serial's with 92 Sqn between 21st Aug and 30 Oct, but I don't know any squadron codes for these, there is even a X4591 which you could get my turning the 6 upside down but again I don't know the full squadron code - QJ needless to say but the aircraft letter... who knows, it might even have been "B" since this aircraft was shot down on 11th October, so the Airfix might have been a replacement...

• Like 1

With apologies for the brevity of the previous post (I only had my iPad with me and that was all I could manage) here are a couple more of Procopius at the RAF Museum.

91B53933-8087-42EC-9EE6-E60841BEC046_zps

This one was just for you guys, entitled 'The Things I do for Britmodeller':

741134DC-DCC7-4CEB-95C9-942922A81460_zps

Had to be done.

Hannants was looking a bit empty and I came away empty handed. PC had pre-ordered for collection at Duxford (10% off) so the bag just contained 'impulse buys'.

Duxford display yesterday and, when 06/24 gets back to his laptop I'm sure there'll be a post with some shots of the amazing display. What a day.

• Like 7

Glad you chaps had a good day. I'm very jealous...but its is well deserved for yourselves. Looking forward to Jon's laptop upload!

Mr p, I have never been to hannants in the flesh, one of the must does in life... Must work out when I can make the pilgrimage...

Rob

• Like 1

Well, this time it was just Colindale, clearly I'll need to return to visit Lowestoft.

I'm packing up for the sad business of leaving these sceptered isles, so more later, but what a week!

• Like 2

Well, this time it was just Colindale, clearly I'll need to return to visit Lowestoft.

I'm packing up for the sad business of leaving these sceptered isles, so more later, but what a week!

When did you visit the museum? yesterday?

If so we might have been there at the same time as my missus and I were there for a brief time yesterday morninhg.

Rick

Just pawing over the Blenheim MkI Airfix kit and I realise that it's a bomber, which doesn't fit with the decals transfers I plan to use from X72-117, the 219 Sqn FK-S

X72117_1.jpg

Adrian built a 1F using the gun kit from another (Frog/Revel) kit but can anyone point me at some aftermarket or will I need to, gulp, scratch something?

I assume the new Airfix Defiant kit is OK with the 264 Sqn PS-V?

Edit: Just found this post that says the parts are in the Mk IVF kit, together with the blast plate in front of it. Problem solved (except now I'll have to build another Blenheim later!) - ordered!!

• Like 2